Paul Johnson interview

What saddens me most is hearing CPJ talk about the administrative support Key is getting. CPJ's ceiling was higher if he'd gotten that while here.
Indeed. When people ask me what I'd do if I had access to a time machine, this is what I would focus all my energy on. We could've had a dynasty that changed college football forever. But I guess it's not grandiose enough for them, because they never let me use the time machine.

The thing that always stuck out to me was how much opponents would bitch and complain about having to face the option and how the "Chop Blocking" was getting their players maimed and killed. I felt pride in having a coach everyone hating facing.

…I had image of what would happen when I retired or what I thought I am leaving this thing the right way and I will be in a position where if we stay in Atlanta, I will drive over to practice or hangout or whatever. "

I wish CPJ would have shown up to Clowns practice the Monday after the Citadel game.

There's another clip from that game, early fourth quarter, around 12 minutes to go maybe. Collins asks for a spot, the refs tell him to get back and he shucks and jives backs to the sidelines with his tongue wagging out like it's a big joke.
We're getting beat 45-0.
At home.
To a team we'd just beaten three straight times and who we had just ripped a new one the year before.
And he's yukking it up with the refs.
That was the point of no return for me. I was wholly done with Clown at that point. Because that was the most Clown thing I'd ever witnessed from a coach in a game.

Other than Clown, the second biggest joke of his whole reign of error was the S&C hire. We didn't get stronger and faster. We got weaker and slower. But boy did he make great inspirational videos.
Of the many things Coach Key had to fix in the aftermath, that was one of the first items on his list, which tells you something.
I'm with you and remember this vividly. 45-0 after we got stopped on 4th & short.

1708968085423.png

1708967716828.png

1708967733545.png

whats-up-scary.gif

I saw that live - we opted not to see that ass kicking in person - and I thought, I need to record this and send it to TStan and every big check donor to show them this is what they bought us.

Look at his stupid face. Look at his stupid face's tongue hanging out. And look at the scorebug underneath his stupid face's tongue hanging out.
Was there any more evidence needed in year one that we were dealing with a clown of epic proportions?

I thought he did things the right way. The way he conducted himself on his first day as a HC at GS is as as it was in this interview. If you expected something different, you obviously didn't know Paul. For the UNC game, I'm torn between totally ignoring him which is basically the correct response to a narcissist because any attention at all for people like that will bask in it. On the other hand, I'd consult with PJ and the staff at Harding University who won a natty run old school TO last season and ran run it down their throats. Of course, it'll be like 4 years before UNC plays at Bobby Dodd right? He'll be gone by then, which is probably the reason he took that job in the first place.

I thought he did things the right way. The way he conducted himself on his first day as a HC at GS is as as it was in this interview. If you expected something different, you obviously didn't know Paul. For the UNC game, I'm torn between totally ignoring him which is basically the correct response to a narcissist because any attention at all for people like that will bask in it. On the other hand, I'd consult with PJ and the staff at Harding University who won a natty run old school TO last season and ran run it down their throats. Of course, it'll be like 4 years before UNC plays at Bobby Dodd right? He'll be gone by then, which is probably the reason he took that job in the first place.
I moved to Statesboro a few days after PJ was named HC. I had gotten to know Frank Ellwood pretty well before that and after that and Ellwood was a class act all around. PJ wasn't going to disparage a guy thrown into that situation.

I saw that live - we opted not to see that ass kicking in person - and I thought, I need to record this and send it to TStan and every big check donor to show them this is what they bought us.

Look at his stupid face. Look at his stupid face's tongue hanging out. And look at the scorebug underneath his stupid face's tongue hanging out.
Was there any more evidence needed in year one that we were dealing with a clown of epic proportions?

On the one hand, this is true, on the other this must be terribly offensive to clowns. I'd describe it more as a self imposed malignancy, a cancerous disease, clown doesn't even come close to doing it justice.

Do you mean individually or the institution?

For individuals it doesn't matter, he'll never know what you or I think, and even if he did, who cares. Nothing you say to an actual narcissist will ever make any amount of difference anyway. They might bask in it, sure, but in the end they are always in an eternal state of misery no matter what they outwardly portray, so bask in that. In the end, do what you want here, don't let his feelings have any effect on your thoughts or actions, be as vile or as docile as you want. He doesn't deserve even a modicum of respect.

For the team/coaches etc... he should be no factor and if I were Key I wouldn't even bring it up, not because of anything other than when it comes to the game itself that is irrelevant, every second should be spent only on what goes towards winning the game. Make the statement by winning, and of course if Key wants to kick him in the nuts after we destroy them, that's fine with me as well.

The media is going to do whatever they are going to do, so again, who cares.

I moved to Statesboro a few days after PJ was named HC. I had gotten to know Frank Ellwood pretty well before that and after that and Ellwood was a class act all around. PJ wasn't going to disparage a guy thrown into that situation.

How did Ellwood get that position to begin with? I'm thinking he hadn't coached in like 20 years at that point? I remember he was the coach when I started at GS

Do you mean individually or the institution?

For individuals it doesn't matter, he'll never know what you or I think, and even if he did, who cares. Nothing you say to an actual narcissist will ever make any amount of difference anyway. They might bask in it, sure, but in the end they are always in an eternal state of misery no matter what they outwardly portray, so bask in that. In the end, do what you want here, don't let his feelings have any effect on your thoughts or actions, be as vile or as docile as you want. He doesn't deserve even a modicum of respect.

For the team/coaches etc... he should be no factor and if I were Key I wouldn't even bring it up, not because of anything other than when it comes to the game itself that is irrelevant, every second should be spent only on what goes towards winning the game. Make the statement by winning, and of course if Key wants to kick him in the nuts after we destroy them, that's fine with me as well.

The media is going to do whatever they are going to do, so again, who cares.

Referring to Clown. At least it had to have been a miserable existence while he was here, especially towards the end. So we paid him back about 1/1000 of that..

How did Ellwood get that position to begin with? I'm thinking he hadn't coached in like 20 years at that point? I remember he was the coach when I started at GS
He was in the athletic department as an assistant AD and he had head coaching experience - Marshall after the plane crash - and they said, Frank, tag, you're it on an interim basis. So it was like having a substitute teacher for the entire year. They fired Stowers either at a time when it wasn't feasible to start a search for a competent replacement or they just didn't think they could do one.
Ellwood was a super nice guy. Sent me a hand written note when he retired.

Key, Marco, and the other GT alum who coached under that guy had plenty of time to stop him and none stepped up. They all kept taking a paycheck while their alma mater burned from the inside. I would have much more respect for Key today if he had resigned on principle and left (like Choice did).

Key, Marco, and the other GT alum who coached under that guy had plenty of time to stop him and none stepped up. They all kept taking a paycheck while their alma mater burned from the inside. I would have much more respect for Key today if he had resigned on principle and left (like Choice did).

None of those people could've stopped him unless they murdered him. You and I have no idea what they tried to do internally so any degradation of respect you have for Key is misguided (he may deserve it, he may not, but you and I have no way of knowing that).

I certainly wouldn't expect any of them to mutiny. I mean, would you mutiny against your boss, a mutiny that would fail, knowing full well that it could torpedo your entire career, especially at a point where you're just getting started? That would get you branded in a small circle industry like the collegiate coaching ranks. Anyone doing that would be a huge dumbass unless they already had öööö you money. A Brutus/Longinus/Albinus plan by Key and his cohorts is a seriously unrealistic expectation.

Back