Stansbury Speaks...

Here's another one. I left the Y axis numbers on there as a hint. Some might call this a measure of "excitement."

45rDvuI.png
The Y axis failed to unlock the mystery for me.

With the exception of 2012 and 2008 attendance seems more driven by kick time and opponent than any other factor.

That said winning obviously matters since 2016 isn't lower despite having 5 games prior to 3:30.

All in all a very mixed bag of data.

I'd say it's very clear from the top our best attendance is driven by opponent and kickoff. All 2008 and 2012 show is that kick off time doesn't overcome horribly weak schedules.

2016 gave us a 50K game with Mercer and a whole lot more interest in our noon Miami game (53k) than we usually get which probably had a lot more to do with Richt curiosity than anything we did.

The noon kicks must stop. I know that we don't decide them but Tstan can say something about it and at least try to get something done. The noon games are a killer

The noon kicks must stop. I know that we don't decide them but Tstan can say something about it and at least try to get something done. The noon games are a killer
Agreed. But not as big a killer as turning down all the TV money that is the cause of them.

I'd say it's very clear from the top our best attendance is driven by opponent and kickoff. All 2008 and 2012 show is that kick off time doesn't overcome horribly weak schedules.

2008 had two Thursday night games and the 2012 schedule was just about as uninteresting as you can get.

Noon games suck. Its hard for people like me that have to drive a couple hours to get excited about leaving the house at 7 or 8 to tailgate at 10 then sit in a hundred degree heat to watch them play bowling Green or alcorn St. I know tv decides acc games but we should be able to play the practice games later than noon.

Nevermind that our two best years under CPJ have both come under QBs with one year in the offense, and both had a significant setback in their third.

Nevermind that.
Only stating what you're coach said. Perhaps you should ask him about his assessment of developing a QB.

Only stating what you're coach said. Perhaps you should ask him about his assessment of developing a QB.

If that was the only thing you were stating, you sure said a whole bunch of extra stuff. I guess I got confused and objected to one of the things in your post that you didn't state. My bad.

2008 had two Thursday night games and the 2012 schedule was just about as uninteresting as you can get.

Noon games suck. Its hard for people like me that have to drive a couple hours to get excited about leaving the house at 7 or 8 to tailgate at 10 then sit in a hundred degree heat to watch them play bowling Green or alcorn St. I know tv decides acc games but we should be able to play the practice games later than noon.

well said. I’ve missed one home game since 2006 driving down from Charlotte. leaving the day before to watch middle directional junior college at 1200 gets old.

Yes, that would qualify as one of the things being measured. The metric is on a per game basis. As in, how many of these exciting thing per game occurred in three separate groupings. Each grouping can be thought of as occurring sequentially, if you know what I mean.

This is because as he says , it takes 3 years to develope a QB for his TO. So he is willing to have 3 so/so seasons for that one big year.

I'm confused, do we only have one QB on the roster at a time? I don't think it's a big logical leap to assume CPJ's ideal QB situation is to have underclassmen learning the offense as back-ups, so that when the starter graduates, they can step up with 2-3 years of practice under their belt. I certainly don't know the context of the quote you're referencing though, so maybe CPJ actually did just say "Well, I only really try to target one QB prospect every 4 years, and since it takes 3 years to develop a QB in my offense, I just say 'öööö it' for 3 out of 4 seasons". Actually, now that I think about it, that does sound like something you and your ilk would infer.

You are correct. However, I would like to try sustained winning (at a level higher than CCG's 7 wins per year era) over a period of 5 years or so to see if perhaps that would move the needle a bit. At Tech, past performance is not an indicator of future performance. A 10 win season can be followed by a 4 win season. Too much variability imo to attract new fans.

This is exactly correct.

Our ticket sales situation will not change in 1 or 2 great seasons. We have, sadly, thought for decades that after one great season we had "turned the corner."

We are going to have to beat better opponents (that does not mean duke / UNC/ uva / wake / cuse/ bc / pitt / ncsu) more often for probably 3 seasons to start turning this around.

Losing to ugag by 31 @ GF should have had the hordes out with pitchforks!

Instead the long time coach gets an extension supposedly to help recruiting. It hasn't helped in years past.

Will a well deserved improvement in the recruiting facilities / personnel area help?

Time will tell, but I will have to see it to believe it.

ACC expansion has been bad for fan interest. We have picked up no new rivalry with Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse. We have no great rivalries from the previous round, with the possible exception of Va Tech. Miami and BC are not rivals with us. The new TV contract puts more games on, but so many get the noon kickoff. We don’t play Wake, State and FSU often enough for those games to fell like a conference rivalry. If we were back to a conference of 9 with only one game each week kicking off at 12 attendance would be fine. Expansion was all about TV dollars, fans be damned.

ACC expansion has been bad for fan interest. We have picked up no new rivalry with Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse. We have no great rivalries from the previous round, with the possible exception of Va Tech. Miami and BC are not rivals with us. The new TV contract puts more games on, but so many get the noon kickoff. We don’t play Wake, State and FSU often enough for those games to fell like a conference rivalry. If we were back to a conference of 9 with only one game each week kicking off at 12 attendance would be fine. Expansion was all about TV dollars, fans be damned.
We will be fine once we win consistently and stop giving us all these damn noon games

Back