Stansbury Speaks...

ACC expansion has been bad for fan interest. We have picked up no new rivalry with Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse. We have no great rivalries from the previous round, with the possible exception of Va Tech. Miami and BC are not rivals with us. The new TV contract puts more games on, but so many get the noon kickoff. We don’t play Wake, State and FSU often enough for those games to fell like a conference rivalry. If we were back to a conference of 9 with only one game each week kicking off at 12 attendance would be fine. Expansion was all about TV dollars, fans be damned.

I’m not a fan of how infrequently we play Atlantic foes, but I do very much enjoy our series with Pitt. I feel like we have a gentleman’s rivalry with them. Generally good games without much BS.

ACC expansion has been bad for fan interest. We have picked up no new rivalry with Pitt, Louisville, and Syracuse. We have no great rivalries from the previous round, with the possible exception of Va Tech. Miami and BC are not rivals with us. The new TV contract puts more games on, but so many get the noon kickoff. We don’t play Wake, State and FSU often enough for those games to fell like a conference rivalry. If we were back to a conference of 9 with only one game each week kicking off at 12 attendance would be fine. Expansion was all about TV dollars, fans be damned.

Yep. That's the problem. We don't play Wake or NC
State enough lol. Those games were straight fire before expansion.

Losing FSU sucked but VPI was a good consolation.

2008 had two Thursday night games and the 2012 schedule was just about as uninteresting as you can get.

Noon games suck. Its hard for people like me that have to drive a couple hours to get excited about leaving the house at 7 or 8 to tailgate at 10 then sit in a hundred degree heat to watch them play bowling Green or alcorn St. I know tv decides acc games but we should be able to play the practice games later than noon.
What say you if this year they set the Alcorn and Bowling Green games as 4-6 PM kicks and broadcasted the games on Peachtree TV? I for one would be much more excited about the gameday itself regardless of the opponent.

...if you know what I mean.
I don't. And
stupid-game-1.gif

What say you if this year they set the Alcorn and Bowling Green games as 4-6 PM kicks and broadcasted the games on Peachtree TV? I for one would be much more excited about the gameday itself regardless of the opponent.

I agree. I love the game day atmosphere. The bigger the opponent the better but a couple of early cupcakes are fine if you have a later start time so you can make a day of it.

It is hard enough to get the true fans excited about coming to the cupcakes at noon, does anybody really expect to get casual fans to come sit in the noon day sun to watch what is basically a practice game.

I would play at night anytime I could. Bobby Dodd under the lights with the skyline in the background is pretty special and we should show it off any chance we can.

I would play at night anytime I could. Bobby Dodd under the lights with the skyline in the background is pretty special and we should show it off any chance we can.

I've known CPJ a long time and he's always rather played the games early.
but you are right - the backdrop and the setting of a night game at HGF/BDS is absolutely unequaled anywhere in college football. Or the pros, for that matter. Everything else by comparison is a null set.

This is exactly correct.

Our ticket sales situation will not change in 1 or 2 great seasons. We have, sadly, thought for decades that after one great season we had "turned the corner."

We are going to have to beat better opponents (that does not mean duke / UNC/ uva / wake / cuse/ bc / pitt / ncsu) more often for probably 3 seasons to start turning this around.

Losing to ugag by 31 @ GF should have had the hordes out with pitchforks!

Instead the long time coach gets an extension supposedly to help recruiting. It hasn't helped in years past.

Will a well deserved improvement in the recruiting facilities / personnel area help?

Time will tell, but I will have to see it to believe it.
I think it would also be helpful not to lose to mediocre opponents -- I'm looking at you, Tobacco Road ... :sqint:

I've known CPJ a long time and he's always rather played the games early.
but you are right - the backdrop and the setting of a night game at HGF/BDS is absolutely unequaled anywhere in college football. Or the pros, for that matter. Everything else by comparison is a null set.
Who cares what time CPJ wants the games. The FANS want late time kickoffs. He needs to suck it up and actually acknowledge the fans

Clearly in the minority here, but I like the noon kickoffs. ESPN controls broadcast times but I'd be in favor of hard set times as follows: all noon games with the exception of homecoming which would kick at 3:30 and any games against top 10 teams to kick at 8. Any games not played on Saturday would be at 8. Boom. Everybody would know game time based on easy to follow criteria. If I have to compromise, I'd say the COFH game would always be at 3:30 instead of noon or 8. If we always play a Thursday or Friday game we'd guarantee a prime time kick every year.

Attendance at SPORTING events is low when the product on the field sucks. But even with a crappy team, people will still show up if the OPPONENT is worth seeing. Sometimes the mere presence of STARS will get people to watch even a bad team. And, yes, it’s football, so WEATHER also has an impact.

I’ll tell you what doesn’t. The coach’s personality.

The noon kicks must stop. I know that we don't decide them but Tstan can say something about it and at least try to get something done. The noon games are a killer
If we just refused to show up for any noon starts, it might accelerate the solution to our football woes. Let ESPN show three hours of Family Feud re-runs a couple of Saturdays and that will teach them.

Attendance at SPORTING events is low when the product on the field sucks. But even with a crappy team, people will still show up if the OPPONENT is worth seeing. Sometimes the mere presence of STARS will get people to watch even a bad team. And, yes, it’s football, so WEATHER also has an impact.

I’ll tell you what doesn’t. The coach’s personality.
CPJs personality doesn't help at all

No excitement you say?

Do you know what the chart below represents? I've left the axis titles off to make it more difficult for you.

I5WJR9L.png
so you are trying out to be a Tech professor...

wins x Oleary years, Chan years, Johnson years

Back