Stansbury Speaks...

I truly believe that once CPJ is gone and we finally get a guy that embraces GT and it's fans we will be fine attendance wise. Nothing against CPJ but he's probably the worst coach to build excitement for and sell tickets

I truly believe that once CPJ is gone and we finally get a guy that embraces GT and it's fans we will be fine attendance wise. Nothing against CPJ but he's probably the worst coach to build excitement for and sell tickets
Oh, yeah, it's Saban's great personality that has everyone so excited at Bama.

What you need to win fans is first and foremost to win games. If CPJ does that (more) consistently, perceived inadequacies in his personality will turn into the charming peculiarities of everyone's favorite curmudgeon.

Oh, yeah, it's Saban's great personality that has everyone so excited at Bama.

What you need to win fans is first and foremost to win games. If CPJ does that (more) consistently, perceived inadequacies in his personality will turn into the charming peculiarities of everyone's favorite curmudgeon.
Saban and CPJ is not a fair comparison at all. Bama fans would show up no matter who is the coach. We need an exciting guy. We need the football version of Pastner

Saban and CPJ is not a fair comparison at all. Bama fans would show up no matter who is the coach. We need an exciting guy. We need the football version of Pastner
I'll take the football version of Coach K.

I call bullshit. By all accounts Jimbo Fisher was a total tool bag but the fans had no problem showing up when they were winning every weekend. He started losing and they disappeared and THEN his personality became an issue. Winning fixes everything. Winning will make us confuse him with pope paul. I don’t know anyone who isn’t going to games because of Paul’s personality.

A personality that fans enjoy and that relates well to media is one factor that is part of a head coach’s performance. It is not the most important area, yet still important. Dodd was great with alumni and fans and the press loved him. Pepper, Curry and B*** L**** we’re better than average in this area. CPJ is not very good with fans and media. Neither was O’Leary, yet his coaching ability allowed us to overlook that. Ross and Gailey were more curmudgeon like than fans and press friendly. Bottom line is that CPJ’s personality is just fine with 9 or more wins a season. At 7 or 8 wins we wish he would be a bit more engaging. At 6 wins or less his personality causes some to question if he should remain the head coach.

Last edited:
With our unique setup in Atlanta we need an engaging personality and winning. CPJ doesn't do either

Age old question of which ultimately brings in more money: a better record or better individual games.

I think the answer is probably the former. Of course last year we had the latter.
You produce a great record at Tech in back to back years with consistency. Like 9-10 win seasons and you fill the stadium

Everyone here wants to believe that winning will bring sellouts and crowds.

The truth about Georgia Tech is that winning only gives us a slight bump. The biggest determinant of crowd size/revenue is 1) opponent 2) kickoff time.

We are only going to have 45K show up for Bowling Green for a noon kick no matter what our record was the previous year.
Win consistently every year and I promise it would be different. I mean like 10 game winning seasons but yes it would be different

How many seasons did Gailey average less than 50k? How many seasons has Johnson averaged more than 50k? Is it really as simple as winning or could there be other factors at play...

How many seasons did Gailey average less than 50k? How many seasons has Johnson averaged more than 50k? Is it really as simple as winning or could there be other factors at play...

There are always multiple factors at play. It's also the case the attendance is down across all of college football over the past five years or so.

There are always multiple factors at play. It's also the case the attendance is down across all of college football over the past five years or so.
It is a hard to see a pattern at Tech. Here are the numbers again...

2017: 46,885
2016: 47,503
2015: 50,707
2014: 48,519
2013: 49,077
2012: 43,995
2011: 48,232
2010: 46,449
2009: 51,584
2008: 47,489
2007: 50,280
2006: 50,617
2005: 51,607
2004: 46,817
2003: 52,862

After going to the ACCCG in 2006... attendance stay flat in 2007.
After firing CCG in 2007... attendance goes down 6% in 2008.
After the excitement of CPJ's first season in 2008... attendance goes up 9%.
After winning the ACC in 2009... attendance goes down 10%, and then continues to go down for another two years, bottoming out in 2012 with a total of 15% loss.
After the mediocrity of 2012 (losing to UGA by 32, back-dooring into the ACCG, beating USC in El Paso)... attendance rebounds strongly with a 12% increase? Vad Lee hype?

I think folks at the GTAA think it is all schedule related, but it strikes that there are too many confounding factors to be confident about that.

It is a hard to see a pattern at Tech. Here are the numbers again...

2017: 46,885
2016: 47,503
2015: 50,707
2014: 48,519
2013: 49,077
2012: 43,995
2011: 48,232
2010: 46,449
2009: 51,584
2008: 47,489
2007: 50,280
2006: 50,617
2005: 51,607
2004: 46,817
2003: 52,862

After going to the ACCCG in 2006... attendance stay flat in 2007.
After firing CCG in 2007... attendance goes down 6% in 2008.
After the excitement of CPJ's first season in 2008... attendance goes up 9%.
After winning the ACC in 2009... attendance goes down 10%, and then continues to go down for another two years, bottoming out in 2012 with a total of 15% loss.
After the mediocrity of 2012 (losing to UGA by 32, back-dooring into the ACCG, beating USC in El Paso)... attendance rebounds strongly with a 12% increase? Vad Lee hype?

I think folks at the GTAA think it is all schedule related, but it strikes that there are too many confounding factors to be confident about that.
If I had to venture an uninformed guess, I would consider average attendance to be a function of gametime, blended ranking, strength of schedule, previous season final ranking, and some measure of talent such as draft picks or recruiting rankings (listed in order of weighted importance). Again, if I were to hazard a guess.

I would like to do an analysis of game time versus attendance, but I'm unwilling to dig deeper than a cursory Google search which did not provide adequate data. @ThisIsAtlanta, have you developed your ai bot sufficiently to mine this information for me.

If I had to venture an uninformed guess, I would consider average attendance to be a function of gametime, blended ranking, strength of schedule, previous season final ranking, and some measure of talent such as draft picks or recruiting rankings (listed in order of weighted importance). Again, if I were to hazard a guess.

I would like to do an analysis of game time versus attendance, but I'm unwilling to dig deeper than a cursory Google search which did not provide adequate data. @ThisIsAtlanta, have you developed your ai bot sufficiently to mine this information for me.

I have this complete data from 2005-2013 already. It might take a little effort to get it in a format you'd like to see, though, because the attendance numbers and kick time numbers came from two different sources that don't agree on game codes, team names, or date formats. I can send you the raw data if you like. I'm not sure how long it would take me to join it.

I have this complete data from 2005-2013 already. It might take a little effort to get it in a format you'd like to see, though, because the attendance numbers and kick time numbers came from two different sources that don't agree on game codes, team names, or date formats. I can send you the raw data if you like. I'm not sure how long it would take me to join it.

I joined your mom quite a few times last night.

Back