So Players 30, 40, & 50 Years Ago Finished The Season…

The solution is to go back to having actual college students playing collegiate sports. We have a bunch of teams now who don’t play school even in the slightest. It’s a true minor league for the nfl that the nfl gets for free and it’s messed up.

The solution is to go back to having actual college students playing collegiate sports. We have a bunch of teams now who don’t play school even in the slightest. It’s a true minor league for the nfl that the nfl gets for free and it’s messed up.
And nobody is going to show up for that and none of the current talent will show up to play it.

"still some now?" You think kids now are generally better prepared for college than they used to be? If they are "better prepared" it is because colleges have been dumbed down like everything else.

I think generally the players today are legit high school graduates that can read and do math on an 8th grade level. There are exceptions. That's not saying anything about the quality of the average high school graduate now versus 30-50 years ago.

Should the first round pick quit half way through the season after their team has a few losses and is eliminated from the CFP?

Also, unrelated but I don't know why these NIL deals don't require participation in the games. Maybe they aren't allowed to, I'm not sure.
If/when this becomes the norm, I’ll be done with CFB.

And nobody is going to show up for that and none of the current talent will show up to play it.

Crowds will be smaller as well as the TV contracts; it would basically put everybody back to G5 level of interest. A lot of the current talent wouldn't show up because they wouldn't be academically qualified to play in it.

The alternative is for nfl to be allowed to draft players like baseball when they are in high school or during college. The nfl then has a choice - either call the player up to nfl or keep that player in the minor leagues (college) while paying them at whatever contract they agree upon.

Crowds will be smaller as well as the TV contracts; it would basically put everybody back to G5 level of interest. A lot of the current talent wouldn't show up because they wouldn't be academically qualified to play in it.

Lots of pay cuts for coaches and administrators. Severe decrease in quality of facilities and operations for all non-revenue sports.

The alternative is for nfl to be allowed to draft players like baseball when they are in high school or during college. The nfl then has a choice - either call the player up to nfl or keep that player in the minor leagues (college) while paying them at whatever contract they agree upon.
If they do it like baseball, the players the NFL signs won’t go to college at all. The NFL will have to start a minor league.

Lots of pay cuts for coaches and administrators. Severe decrease in quality of facilities and operations for all non-revenue sports.

You make it sound like a bad thing. To me it is a problem that football coaches and players make more than top Neuro-surgeons in our society. I understand how our entertainment industries (and college football is simply entertainment like movies, music, and pro-wrestling) make more money than people who provide greater benefit to society; but it is wacked. Oh, it would be a decrease in quality of facilities and operations across the board, not just "non-revenue" sports.

You make it sound like a bad thing. To me it is a problem that football coaches and players make more than top Neuro-surgeons in our society. I understand how our entertainment industries (and college football is simply entertainment like movies, music, and pro-wrestling) make more money than people who provide greater benefit to society; but it is wacked. Oh, it would be a decrease in quality of facilities and operations across the board, not just "non-revenue" sports.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing, only a completely unrealistic thing. No one involved is going to give up that bag.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing, only a completely unrealistic thing. No one involved is going to give up that bag.

The only realistic thing to impact it will be more teams like FSU refusing to play along. It will impact revenue, which might bring change. Make no mistake, FSU is the highest profile example; but there were plenty of teams that mailed it in last week. UNC and OSU come to mind where key players sat out. These bowls are taking it in the shorts, fans will catch on quickly. How many fans will travel to, or even watch a bowl game when they know their team is opting out. Auburn had most players on the field; but after watching just a few minutes of the game you could see the effort wasn't there. This player revolt will lead to significant fan disinterest.

The only realistic thing to impact it will be more teams like FSU refusing to play along. It will impact revenue, which might bring change. Make no mistake, FSU is the highest profile example; but there were plenty of teams that mailed it in last week. UNC and OSU come to mind where key players sat out. These bowls are taking it in the shorts, fans will catch on quickly. How many fans will travel to, or even watch a bowl game when they know their team is opting out. Auburn had most players on the field; but after watching just a few minutes of the game you could see the effort wasn't there. This player revolt will lead to significant fan disinterest.

I agree that impact to revenue will likely spur change to bowls. I just don't think it will result in the changes you are proposing, which will lead to an even more drastic drop in revenue that will affect the sport as a whole and take a lot of money out of a lot of people's pockets.

I agree that impact to revenue will likely spur change to bowls. I just don't think it will result in the changes you are proposing, which will lead to an even more drastic drop in revenue that will affect the sport as a whole and take a lot of money out of a lot of people's pockets.

Big changes aren't going to happen overnight. I expect this 12 team playoff to not work out like they planned. Players in the top 4 bye week teams will probably not opt out; but players in the bottom 8 probably will. If you are a NFL prospect why risk injury in the wildcard playoff week? Everyone knows the top 4 teams will be rigged with at least one SEC and probably one B1G team regardless of what happens on the field. So who will want to sponsor one of the round of 8 games knowing it might be debacle, or some other meaningless bowl game.

The best example of this is professional boxing. It used to be big business and the participants made big money for that time in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Now it is practically nonexistent. NASCAR is a similar example and I’m afraid professional golf may be headed in the same direction. The switch from college football to the NFL increases incrementally every year.

The best example of this is professional boxing. It used to be big business and the participants made big money for that time in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Now it is practically nonexistent. NASCAR is a similar example and I’m afraid professional golf may be headed in the same direction. The switch from college football to the NFL increases incrementally every year.

Agree. Because as college football becomes more and more like pro football, it becomes more and more just an inferior product compared to it, rather than a different product which many people prefer.

I have no problem with players deciding to stop playing. THere are a million reasons why they might. However, any player who bails on his team wasn't much of a team player. I would think any NFL team would wonder about the grit of that player. How about the guys who go pro as a Junior? We all complain about players, the guys who get a scholarship but little else, in this $billion sport. Guys used to get insurance. I would think they still can.

Back