So Players 30, 40, & 50 Years Ago Finished The Season…

That is not how the real world works for the vast majority of people, and certainly not for people making what the teams are paying the players (room, board, full cost of attendance, and incidentals.)

In the real world, I am completely free to accept a job and leave for another company the next year if they offer more money. Similarly, my employer is completely free to fire me after a year and hire someone else if they want.

You don't start getting into multi year contracts until you're at a super high level, being paid millions per year. It will be the same in CFB -- once the schools start sharing TV revenue and paying players big money directly, then you'll see multi year contracts.

What....

Well you guys are in some alternate universe and obviously have never signed a purchase agreement, a lease, a mortgage, a non compete, dish tv paperwork or one of any other thousand legal documents.....

You sign a contract and agree to X in return you get X for a period of time, some contracts are more restrictive than others.

Exactly how the real world works.

What....

Well you guys are in some alternate universe and obviously have never signed a purchase agreement, a lease, a mortgage, a non compete, dish tv paperwork or one of any other thousand legal documents.....

You sign a contract and agree to X in return you get X for a period of time, some contracts are more restrictive than others.

Exactly how the real world works.

I've signed many legal documents to offer my services to an employer in exchange for compensation as well as been involved in extending offers to others, and not a single one of them prevented me from leaving at any time I wanted with no penalty.

Similarly, none of them provided protection from the employer laying off or firing the worker at any time they wanted.

I agree employment contracts with multi-year restrictions that prohibit early termination do exist, but as I said they are used almost exclusively for high level executives (or pro athletes!) making millions of dollars. They are not standard or common for workers making the level of compensation schools provide to football players.

Non-competes are almost always non-enforceable. I worked in finance for many years and when people quit, the company will literally pay them not to work for a period of time since they normally can't legally prevent them from going to a competitor. It's called gardening leave.

I've signed many legal documents to offer my services to an employer in exchange for compensation as well as been involved in extending offers to others, and not a single one of them prevented me from leaving at any time I wanted with no penalty.

Similarly, none of them provided protection from the employer laying off or firing the worker at any time they wanted.

I agree employment contracts with multi-year restrictions that prohibit early termination do exist, but as I said they are used almost exclusively for high level executives (or pro athletes!) making millions of dollars. They are not standard or common for workers making the level of compensation schools provide to football players.

Non-competes are almost always non-enforceable. I worked in finance for many years and when people quit, the company will literally pay them not to work for a period of time since they normally can't legally prevent them from going to a competitor. It's called gardening leave.

You're just trolling now. I could probably pick up your mail today and find an agreement you can't just walk away from. But in the event you live some sort of hermit life off grid, just because you don't enter into these contracts doesn't mean they aren't commonly used. Go enlist in the military then try to walk away, let me know how that goes for you.

Those guys certainly aren't making the same money as pro athletes. Which is exactly what I said originally. If the kids/coach/schools are not in it for the long haul, don't sign. Otherwise the agreement is in effect and all parties can rest on the expectations of it.

Piss bet time!
Or, and I’m just spitballing here…

C8E4B29F-5E47-48A9-B09F-D5F3219E6097.jpeg

You're just trolling now. I could probably pick up your mail today and find an agreement you can't just walk away from. But in the event you live some sort of hermit life off grid, just because you don't enter into these contracts doesn't mean they aren't commonly used. Go enlist in the military then try to walk away, let me know how that goes for you.

Those guys certainly aren't making the same money as pro athletes. Which is exactly what I said originally. If the kids/coach/schools are not in it for the long haul, don't sign. Otherwise the agreement is in effect and all parties can rest on the expectations of it.
There’s this guy who does radio commercials for breaking time share agreements. He guarantees that he can get you out of your time share agreement, but he doesn’t say anything about how much you will have to pay him.

There’s this guy who does radio commercials for breaking time share agreements. He guarantees that he can get you out of your time share agreement, but he doesn’t say anything about how much you will have to pay him.

There's a reason lawyers are Americans' favorite profession.

I hate seeing players leave, but I also think it's great for players to have a choice. It's a double-edged sword, but freedom is worth the cost, imo.

The solution to this problem is an expansion of the CFP (already happening) such that Football postseason starts to look like Basketball postseason. The old system of bowl games could transition into an NCAA tournament (the CFP) and an NIT-equivalent tournament (an undercard CFP). 12-16 teams in each. Adjust the regular season to accommodate the increased number of games. Heck, maybe even a third or fourth undercard tourney would form...

I hate seeing players leave, but I also think it's great for players to have a choice. It's a double-edged sword, but freedom is worth the cost, imo.

The solution to this problem is an expansion of the CFP (already happening) such that Football postseason starts to look like Basketball postseason. The old system of bowl games could transition into an NCAA tournament (the CFP) and an NIT-equivalent tournament (an undercard CFP). 12-16 teams in each. Adjust the regular season to accommodate the increased number of games.
I heard this same conversation on XM Radio this week. Next round of CFP to 16 teams, followed by 24 teams. It will eventually happen once the ever revolving world of conference expansion stops.

I heard this same conversation on XM Radio this week. Next round of CFP to 16 teams, followed by 24 teams. It will eventually happen once the ever revolving world of conference expansion stops.
Needs to be a power of two.

Back