So Players 30, 40, & 50 Years Ago Finished The Season…

The solution is to go back to having actual college students playing collegiate sports. We have a bunch of teams now who don’t play school even in the slightest. It’s a true minor league for the nfl that the nfl gets for free and it’s messed up.
So you’re OK with CFB HC’s making $7-$12 million a year and AD’s making millions per year as well, yet CFB players are just supposed to be SA’s? Come on already.

CFB is a billion dollar industry where coaches, AD’s and schools are making millions off CFB. You act like the school aspect has ever been truly been a part of CFB since the 70’s. Well….It hasn’t.

If you want to enjoy CFB in its purest form, you have the choice to watch D II, D III, and NAIA.

So you’re OK with CFB HC’s making $7-$12 million a year and AD’s making millions per year as well, yet CFB players are just supposed to be SA’s? Come on already.

CFB is a billion dollar industry where coaches, AD’s and schools are making millions off CFB. You act like the school aspect has ever been truly been a part of CFB since the 70’s. Well….It hasn’t.

If you want to enjoy CFB in its purest form, you have the choice to watch D II, D III, and NAIA.
Well don’t leave out the students … Tech has a big fat endowment so I guess students should demand to be paid. These kids are here to play intercollegiate sports, if they want to turn pro then skip college. This billion dollar industry gives them a lifestyle and top notch facilities that most kids would envy so I definitely disagree with you. Intercollegiate athletes are amateur athletes … this paying athletes is ruining the game.

Well don’t leave out the students … Tech has a big fat endowment so I guess students should demand to be paid. These kids are here to play intercollegiate sports, if they want to turn pro then skip college. This billion dollar industry gives them a lifestyle and top notch facilities that most kids would envy so I definitely disagree with you. Intercollegiate athletes are amateur athletes … this paying athletes is ruining the game.
But you’re OK with coaches, AD’s, and the school itself making millions off of CFB?

Paying athletes has always been there, so let’s not act like it’s something new. Difference before is $$ was coming through back channels. Also kids were being ruled ineligible for signing autographs. Not sure why you’re against NIL, but I’m sorry, you’re in the wrong with that notion. If a company wants to pay a kid for NIL, good for the kid. It’s no different than any other 18-24 yo in college working a job getting paid.

Schools have no obligation to the kid either, so remove that aspect from this. For as many kids who go into the Portal on their own, the other 50% are processed to the Portal with no guarantee of landing at another school on scholarship. There are over 4,000 kids in the CFB Portal based on the latest figure. There are not 4,000 scholarships available. Are you concerned with that aspect of the current game? The guaranteed education for 4 years is not a reality. Every scholarship is renewed annually.

I’ll ad
But you’re OK with coaches, AD’s, and the school itself making millions off of CFB?

Paying athletes has always been there, so let’s not act like it’s something new. Difference before is $$ was coming through back channels. Also kids were being ruled ineligible for signing autographs. Not sure why you’re against NIL, but I’m sorry, you’re in the wrong with that notion. If a company wants to pay a kid for NIL, good for the kid. It’s no different than any other 18-24 yo in college working a job getting paid.

Schools have no obligation to the kid either, so remove that aspect from this. For as many kids who go into the Portal on their own, the other 50% are processed to the Portal with no guarantee of landing at another school on scholarship. There are over 4,000 kids in the CFB Portal based on the latest figure. There are not 4,000 scholarships available. Are you concerned with that aspect of the current game? The guaranteed education for 4 years is not a reality. Every scholarship is renewed annually.
Intercollegiate sports is for amateur athletes .. end of story. If the schools are making too much money then lower ticket prices. I don’t know how much Brent Key makes and don’t care, he’s not an intercollegiate athlete anymore. How did you like the Orange Bowl yesterday? Get use to it.

Students are free to demand payment, and schools are free to give it to them. There's nothing stopping a school from paying a student if they think they would benefit a lot from the student attending.

In football, the schools have banded together to say they will punish any school who pays a football player, even if (especially if) they would benefit a lot from that student being on the football team. That is almost certainly illegal under US antitrust law, which is why you are seeing the NCAA lose in court so much.

The FSU coaches worked hard and put together a terrific season. The FSU fans supported the program with their time and money. It’s sad the FSU players did not have enough respect to play.

The FSU coaches worked hard and put together a terrific season. The FSU fans supported the program with their time and money. It’s sad the FSU players did not have enough respect to play.
FSU did it with transfer mercenaries. No loyalty to the program. Colorado is the absolute model, while Deion is there, of single serving players.

No we're not okay with any of this which is the issue. I don't think anybody needs to be making significant money off amateur athletes. That is why they are amateurs. If they want to be pro, then go pro and if they were good enough or big enough out of highschool, they would. However they're not so they go to college.

The issue is mixing the pros with the amateurs. Take golf for example, once you start playing to win money, you lose your amateur status and can't compete in the same field of play except during sanctioned events.

These kids can get taken care of in college, they can get fed, get an education, get housing, get healthcare, but there is no reason an 19 yr old is entitled to riding around campus in a Lambo.

I'm the first one to agree it's the way it is now. However, it's stupid, and society is stupid for embracing it. Some of these kids are good kids but a lot of them aren't learning how to contribute to society because unfortunately just being raised to play a sport for millions of dollars doesn't teach you how to be a useful or decent human being. The best way is to keep it out of college. On it's current trajectory, college sports just need to die completely if it isn't going to be fixed.

Nothing will change unless the money dries up and that would take a fan boycott, that won’t happen so get use to the new college football.

These kids can get taken care of in college, they can get fed, get an education, get housing, get healthcare, but there is no reason an 19 yr old is entitled to riding around campus in a Lambo.
And I’m in agreement with your entire post, except for one thing. There is no loyalty by the coaches and schools to kids. For as much as people get upset about players leaving, the percentage of players getting processed is higher than most believe. There are no 4 year guaranteed scholarships. The NCAA slogan about “going pro in something other than sports” is complete BS.

If you want to see the system fixed, then contracts ala scholarships should be binding agreements by both the kid, staff and school for any of the following:

1 year scholarships (grad transfers)
2 year scholarships (transfer or kid betting on himself or coaching change)
3 year scholarships (transfer or kid betting on himself or coaching change)
4 year scholarships (kid is committed to the degree from that school unless a coaching change occurs)

I would be willing to bet 80% of kids would sign the 2 year contract / scholarship vs any other option.

Well like I said, get use to what we saw in the Orange Bowl … there will be more to come.
This problem will get resolved just like every problem that came before it. We might not like the outcome, but the people with the power and money will eventually tell us how it's gonna be. We can continue to buy their product or take our time & money elsewhere. My bet is after a brief period of whining, we'll end right back where we were before all the whining started. There will be 8-10 teams that have any shot of winning the championship, 2-3 at most every year that will have a real chance and none of those will be GT.

And I’m in agreement with your entire post, except for one thing. There is no loyalty by the coaches and schools to kids. For as much as people get upset about players leaving, the percentage of players getting processed is higher than most believe. There are no 4 year guaranteed scholarships. The NCAA slogan about “going pro in something other than sports” is complete BS.

If you want to see the system fixed, then contracts ala scholarships should be binding agreements by both the kid, staff and school for any of the following:

1 year scholarships (grad transfers)
2 year scholarships (transfer or kid betting on himself or coaching change)
3 year scholarships (transfer or kid betting on himself or coaching change)
4 year scholarships (kid is committed to the degree from that school unless a coaching change occurs)

I would be willing to bet 80% of kids would sign the 2 year contract / scholarship vs any other option.

Or we eliminate the first 3 options and either the kid plays 4 years and then goes pro with a degree, they get a degree and go into the workforce, they flunk out and have to sit at home until they are released from contract, or they never go to college and try to football by some other means.

The kids should have been committing to a school for an education and not a coach this entire time, even if joepa is running around molesting minors, football is not the end goal by attending college.

Or we eliminate the first 3 options and either the kid plays 4 years and then goes pro with a degree, they get a degree and go into the workforce, they flunk out and have to sit at home until they are released from contract, or they never go to college and try to football by some other means.

The kids should have been committing to a school for an education and not a coach this entire time, even if joepa is running around molesting minors, football is not the end goal by attending college.
But there are not nor have there even been 4 year scholarships. They have always been 1 year renewable scholarships for 4-5 years. Do you really think coaches would agree to 4 year guaranteed scholarships? Hell no. Because their job relies on winning. And the reality is, no one knows how good a player is until they get into the system for a year or 2. If every player was locked into scholarship, the gap that is there between the Top 10 and the next 20 would be even larger.

Sorry. But I don’t really why you’re standing on your head for such a corrupt organization in the NCAA in the first place.

Football at all levels is corrupt. Look at how dirty H.S. football is. Coaches actively recruiting from out of district, county and even state now. Not just using fake addresses anymore.

But there are not nor have there even been 4 year scholarships. They have always been 1 year renewable scholarships for 4-5 years. Do you really think coaches would agree to 4 year guaranteed scholarships? Hell no. Because their job relies on winning. And the reality is, no one knows how good a player is until they get into the system for a year or 2. If every player was locked into scholarship, the gap that is there between the Top 10 and the next 20 would be even larger.

Sorry. But I don’t really why you’re standing on your head for such a corrupt organization in the NCAA in the first place.

Football at all levels is corrupt. Look at how dirty H.S. football is. Coaches actively recruiting from out of district, county and even state now. Not just using fake addresses anymore.

I believe power 5 schools actually do generally provide multi year scholarships for football as of around ten years ago.

In another significant change, the schools and the reps narrowly approved legislation that will prevent schools and coaches from choosing not to renew an athlete's scholarship for athletic reasons. Under the system that has been in place, most athletic scholarships are subject to annual renewal.

It's not about protection for either party. It's about good faith agreements. If the coach doesn't really want the kid, don't offer a scholarship, if the kid isn't really excited about the offer, then don't sign it.

This is how the real world works, and for good reasons. Right now there is no true buy in by either party and the product is inferior. All those kids you guys were advocating for under the Deion thread would have been protected under this agreement and it would have been on him to make the most of what already existed instead of cleaning house. It also prevents this crap we're seeing in the post season.

Contracts have to come into play here but they need to have associated costs in order to make them meaningful.

FSU did it with transfer mercenaries. No loyalty to the program. Colorado is the absolute model, while Deion is there, of single serving players.

Any team that is serious about competing has transfer mercenaries. UGA just made news for taking arch rival UF running back. Our best player is a transfer mercenary. Look at what is happening to Clemson without transfer mercenaries.

Nothing will change unless the money dries up and that would take a fan boycott, that won’t happen so get use to the new college football.

What FSU did to the Orange Bowl is a start. Even Kirby after the game was saying someone needs to fix this. I predict we'll see players opting out of the 8 team playoff next year and the CFP will need to go back and figure out what to do with that joke of a system.

It's not about protection for either party. It's about good faith agreements. If the coach doesn't really want the kid, don't offer a scholarship, if the kid isn't really excited about the offer, then don't sign it.

This is how the real world works, and for good reasons. Right now there is no true buy in by either party and the product is inferior.

That is not how the real world works for the vast majority of people, and certainly not for people making what the teams are paying the players (room, board, full cost of attendance, and incidentals.)

In the real world, I am completely free to accept a job and leave for another company the next year if they offer more money. Similarly, my employer is completely free to fire me after a year and hire someone else if they want.

You don't start getting into multi year contracts until you're at a super high level, being paid millions per year. It will be the same in CFB -- once the schools start sharing TV revenue and paying players big money directly, then you'll see multi year contracts.

with their teammates but this generation won’t even dress out. Pretty dadgum pathetic if you ask me. I’ve seen interviews this bowl season of players on the sideline not dressed out but they say they are there to support their teammates …. horsecrap, if you want to support your teammates then go into battle with them … loser! And another thing, when President Reagan said the worse 9 words you can hear are “I’m from the government and I’m here to help” , he might as well been talking about the NCAA … they have become a pathetic lot.
Now tell us about the namby pambies that would not play without a helmet.

Back