So Players 30, 40, & 50 Years Ago Finished The Season…

GoldenIsle

Flats Noob
with their teammates but this generation won’t even dress out. Pretty dadgum pathetic if you ask me. I’ve seen interviews this bowl season of players on the sideline not dressed out but they say they are there to support their teammates …. horsecrap, if you want to support your teammates then go into battle with them … loser! And another thing, when President Reagan said the worse 9 words you can hear are “I’m from the government and I’m here to help” , he might as well been talking about the NCAA … they have become a pathetic lot.

This is why football participation in high school in many states is in serious decline. The media makes the case that football is not worth playing unless you are getting paid or will get paid, or playing for a ring (championship). So, the kids playing high school football (fueled by delusional parents) are doing it to get a scholarship, and now NIL dollars. The college player plays to get to the league and make big money and for a bigger NIL bounty. The NFL player plays for a bigger contract. And, the media drives the narrative that only the champions (and they drive who gets into the championship at the college level) have enjoyed success; everyone else has failed.

I was Tate Rodemaker’s pastor when he was a young kid. I love his family. I have not talked with them since he entered the portal. I don’t know his reasons and whether or not Norvel spurred or discouraged his decision. But, I know this, that it is a shame he does not get to play in an Orange Bowl, to play the Dawgs as a former Valdosta QB. I went to see him and his brother play a couple of times while they played for their Dad in Valdosta. Those boys loved the game.

I think we are all moved by the Army-Navy game annually for the very reason that those guys love the game and love being a part of that game. The game lacks national championship implications. The players are going to get paid only to be Ensigns and Second Lieutenants. But, they play their hearts out and tears stream down their faces when they lose, yet sing their alma mater and stand for the alma mater of the victors. I was also privileged to pastor and my son to teach and coach Jake Ellington, who proudly played in four Army-Navy games in ‘17 through ‘20. He now flies Apache helicopters serving our country. But, that young man loved playing football until his last game against Navy. Frankly, I was moved by the Mizzou players being all in to win a Cotton Bowl that so many call a meaningless exhibition. They won something they will talk about for a lifetime. I wonder how many Buckeye opt outs will fondly remember the Cotton Bowl they chose to sit out.

I don’t blame the young players. I blame us for the media narratives and misplaced values that lead us to see football as a means to an end rather than a team sport to be enjoyed.

This is why football participation in high school in many states is in serious decline. The media makes the case that football is not worth playing unless you are getting paid or will get paid, or playing for a ring (championship). So, the kids playing high school football (fueled by delusional parents) are doing it to get a scholarship, and now NIL dollars. The college player plays to get to the league and make big money and for a bigger NIL bounty. The NFL player plays for a bigger contract. And, the media drives the narrative that only the champions (and they drive who gets into the championship at the college level) have enjoyed success; everyone else has failed.

I was Tate Rodemaker’s pastor when he was a young kid. I love his family. I have not talked with them since he entered the portal. I don’t know his reasons and whether or not Norvel spurred or discouraged his decision. But, I know this, that it is a shame he does not get to play in an Orange Bowl, to play the Dawgs as a former Valdosta QB. I went to see him and his brother play a couple of times while they played for their Dad in Valdosta. Those boys loved the game.

I think we are all moved by the Army-Navy game annually for the very reason that those guys love the game and love being a part of that game. The game lacks national championship implications. The players are going to get paid only to be Ensigns and Second Lieutenants. But, they play their hearts out and tears stream down their faces when they lose, yet sing their alma mater and stand for the alma mater of the victors. I was also privileged to pastor and my son to teach and coach Jake Ellington, who proudly played in four Army-Navy games in ‘17 through ‘20. He now flies Apache helicopters serving our country. But, that young man loved playing football until his last game against Navy. Frankly, I was moved by the Mizzou players being all in to win a Cotton Bowl that so many call a meaningless exhibition. They won something they will talk about for a lifetime. I wonder how many Buckeye opt outs will fondly remember the Cotton Bowl they chose to sit out.

I don’t blame the young players. I blame us for the media narratives and misplaced values that lead us to see football as a means to an end rather than a team sport to be enjoyed.
Tate reportedly left FSU because Norvell made it clear through portal recruiting that Tate was not and was never going to be the guy. You can read his farewell statement and see it in there too. Whether that’s what Norvell was doing or not, Tate and his family certainly took it that way and bailed on the bowl game.

Tate reportedly left FSU because Norvell made it clear through portal recruiting that Tate was not and was never going to be the guy. You can read his farewell statement and see it in there too. Whether that’s what Norvell was doing or not, Tate and his family certainly took it that way and bailed on the bowl game.
Norvell was right to be honest with the kid. Everybody would blame the coach if he pretended that the bowl game was some kind of trial when clearly it has nothing to do with next year. The kid also had the right to step away from something he doesn’t feel that he is really a part of.

The NCAA has been pretty much neutered in all this NIL/portal stuff; so I don't know why you are blaming them. The Playoff Committee demonstrated to anyone paying attention that this is all rigged. It is much like professional wrestling, the games may be fun to watch; but deep down you know it is fake. The much ballyhooed FSU vs. UGA game today won't be worth watching based on the opt outs and FSU's attitude going into the game. Supporting your school/teammates is a silly notion since you don't even know who your teammates will be until after the portal closes, heck you don't even know for sure who your coach will be.

The transfer date is too early. It puts kids who want to transfer in an awkward position. The NFL stuff is understandable due to the high earning potential of some of these kids and the sheer number of bowl games. I am a little surprised at some of the really big game opt outs but I agree that is culture and media driven. There’s a lot of “what’s the point” attitudes.

Norvell was right to be honest with the kid. Everybody would blame the coach if he pretended that the bowl game was some kind of trial when clearly it has nothing to do with next year. The kid also had the right to step away from something he doesn’t feel that he is really a part of.
I’m not saying Norvell did anything wrong. Same for Tate.

I do think that the CFP snub was the equivalent of dropping a Gef bomb on FSU’s culture and attitude. Once that happened, that team fell apart with most saying “öööö this öööö.”

At this point, I think bowls just need to go. What’s the point of playing them when so many key players are just going to quit on their teams before the game? If CFB society really places that little emphasis on the games, then maybe they aren’t worth playing.

I’m not saying Norvell did anything wrong. Same for Tate.

I do think that the CFP snub was the equivalent of dropping a Gef bomb on FSU’s culture and attitude. Once that happened, that team fell apart with most saying “öööö this öööö.”
The lack of understanding of this impact from the CFP is astounding. Just nuked a team and conference.

At this point, I think bowls just need to go. What’s the point of playing them when so many key players are just going to quit on their teams before the game? If CFB society really places that little emphasis on the games, then maybe they aren’t worth playing.

Meh, they are still fun; just realize they are exhibition games and not a true competition. Pop Tart bowl was cool; but honestly a lot of us were watching because of the Pop Tart, not the 2 opt out plagued teams. Fun for trip for the players to go to amusement parks and stuff.

Meh, they are still fun; just realize they are exhibition games and not a true competition. Pop Tart bowl was cool; but honestly a lot of us were watching because of the Pop Tart, not the 2 opt out plagued teams. Fun for trip for the players to go to amusement parks and stuff.
They are eventually going to die on the vine. When a school like OSU only sells 7,500 tickets to the cotton bowl or you have an empty upper deck for Clemson/Kentucky in Jax, those games aren’t going to last long. CFP says that those games don’t matter, and fans (particularly of big schools that have annual playoff aspirations) are seeing them that way.

Football 30, 40 and 50 years ago was a different game where concussions were just a routine injury where you rub some dirt on it and go back in. Theres a reason players from that era have brain damage so yes, they were tougher but they are also paying the ultimate price for their toughness today. Why compare eras that are apples to oranges? I don't blame any player with an NFL future from sitting out a completely meaningless game. I wouldn't even blame them if they sat out the CFP games.

30 years ago coaches weren't getting paid $10 million and bailing on the players before bowl games.

People like to say that college football is about more than money, it's about preparing young men for life and molding them into leaders. Well, if that's the case, you can't blame those young men from following the example of the people responsible for teaching them.

Any time you can watch an arrogant self important school like Ohio State struggle to compete with a mid level team like Missouri it makes my day. The same for UGA and FSU. I’m only sorry that one of them will win.

Football 30, 40 and 50 years ago was a different game where concussions were just a routine injury where you rub some dirt on it and go back in. Theres a reason players from that era have brain damage so yes, they were tougher but they are also paying the ultimate price for their toughness today. Why compare eras that are apples to oranges? I don't blame any player with an NFL future from sitting out a completely meaningless game. I wouldn't even blame them if they sat out the CFP games.

Half the players from 30. 40, and 50 years ago were brain damaged before they ever saw a football. Go back and listen to some the interviews from back then, I doubt some of them could read on an 8th grade level. Being a football player at a major college was the high point of their life for many of them.

Half the players from 30. 40, and 50 years ago were brain damaged before they ever saw a football. Go back and listen to some the interviews from back then, I doubt some of them could read on an 8th grade level. Being a football player at a major college was the high point of their life for many of them.
and... are you telling me half of UGA's team can read above 8th grade level today?

Back