Paul Johnson as GT coach

The inevitable conclusion to this line of thinking is Dave Braine.
There some measure of truth in there. It's not all or nothing either way. If we are looking for students it would stand to reason the more choices available for major would reach a broader audience. GT football plays the "prepare for life after football" position while recruiting. So any logical person who isn't looking towards grad school in something like medicine, or a business/engineering degree is also limiting recruiting Student Athletes. As I noticed on signing day most of those guys announcing mentioned "next three years". Therefore they don't give a crap about graduating. If they don't care about school GTs math and science majors aren't going to entice them to want to learn and they will fail out. Can we find more athletes qualified for GT and on a higher level athletically? Perhaps but that has not been the case from anything we have seen in the last 25 ish years. I would lean more of a direction that the football team has the same graduation rate as the normal students. They come in with much lower scores. Either we are cheating or there is more wiggle room with the SAs than is being utilized.

Last edited:
This is the stupidest thing ever and all it does is empower mediocre coaches to have a ready made excuse.

Stanford. Duke. UNC.

Now stop it.

I emphatically endorse the option of either going private, or becoming a political powerhouse capable of seizing control of the board of regents, so we can emulate the things Stanford, Duke, and UNC are doing as programs. If we did either of those things, we could compete regularly with Georgia. Especially if we kept CPJ as a coach.

Can we stop giving our fans and our coaches this excuse?

Stanford and ND do just fine.

Duke and UNC do just fine in basketball.

This gimmicky coach kills our recruiting. Nobody wants to play offense in this system, and good defensive players don't want to waste 3-5 years of their life practicing against it.

Then, since we fail at getting any of the top Georgia kids, UGA feasts off of that opportunity. CPJ's gimmicky system puts a ceiling on us, kills our recruiting, and helps UGA's recruiting.

He has to go.

ND or the "Golden Domers" Now I haven't looked up their stadium size, average attendance, football & sports finances & TV time but would you really put GT in the same football sphere as the Domers? Come on now - REALLY?

You say *GIMMICKERY* - I bet you mean the Spread Option Offense GT runs! No gimmicks about the offense, but you may need to be
tutored in the Triple Option.

Gdoug - "Then, since we fail at getting any of the top Georgia kids, UGA feasts off of that opportunity. CPJ's gimmicky system puts a ceiling on us, kills our recruiting, and helps UGA's recruiting".

TALON - Tell me where the ceiling on recruiting because of the Spread Option system is!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will start with defense - Gooooooooo!

Offense - Only the QB and wide outs
Bammmmm - you're a twit!!!!!!
!

This is the stupidest thing ever and all it does is empower mediocre coaches to have a ready made excuse.

Stanford. Duke. UNC.

Now stop it.

Is the problem a mediocre coach or mediocre fans like yourself that bring down GT?

I emphatically endorse the option of either going private, or becoming a political powerhouse capable of seizing control of the board of regents, so we can emulate the things Stanford, Duke, and UNC are doing as programs. If we did either of those things, we could compete regularly with Georgia. Especially if we kept CPJ as a coach.

beej67 , you just bee a bad SOB!

LOL that you think those schools are at all comparable to GT's narrow curriculum.

It's not an excuse - it's a reality that we'd be foolish to ignore when making coaching decisions going forward.

How are you just right like that! U - Bee- A - Bad-Man or U.B.A.B.M.

ND or the "Golden Domers" Now I haven't looked up their stadium size, average attendance, football & sports finances & TV time but would you really put GT in the same football sphere as the Domers? Come on now - REALLY?

You say *GIMMICKERY* - I bet you mean the Spread Option Offense GT runs! No gimmicks about the offense, but you may need to be

Gdoug - "Then, since we fail at getting any of the top Georgia kids, UGA feasts off of that opportunity. CPJ's gimmicky system puts a ceiling on us, kills our recruiting, and helps UGA's recruiting".

TALON - Tell me where the ceiling on recruiting because of the Spread Option system is!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will start with defense - Gooooooooo!

Offense - Only the QB and wide outs
Bammmmm - you're a twit!!!!!!
!
Son,
on Christmas eve, let me say this... eat a sack lunch off my taint. Thanks for giving all of us a reason to use the 'ignore' button.
Hope you die in a grease fire behind Huddle House and the hobo giving you an angry handjo pours paint thinner on you in an attempt to put it out.
Jackass.

Son,
on Christmas eve, let me say this... eat a sack lunch off my taint. Thanks for giving all of us a reason to use the 'ignore' button.
Hope you die in a grease fire behind Huddle House and the hobo giving you an angry handjo pours paint thinner on you in an attempt to put it out.
Jackass.

You talking to me or numb nuts? i.e. Gdoug

Stanford. Duke. UNC.

Now stop it.
As someone with degrees from both Tech and Duke you have no idea what you are talking about. No question that Tech is a much harder school.

Stanford. Duke. UNC.

Now stop it.

If we did what UNC did, I would stop being a fan. There's not much that could cause that, but having a literally fake major would get the job done.

And over the course of CPJ's tenure, we have been a better program than Duke has, without a doubt. A bad few years against Duke head to head doesn't change that, as frustrating as those losses may have been.

Stanford has done better than us.

Still, you're 1 for 3. Maybe you should try out for quarterback.

You can't claim to run a "Spread Option" when you only complete 43 passes in an entire season. We run a QB Option Keeper offense that the Dukes and UVAs of the ACC have figured out how to defend.

You can't claim to run a "Spread Option" when you only complete 43 passes in an entire season. We run a QB Option Keeper offense that the Dukes and UVAs of the ACC have figured out how to defend.

Only 43% of passes completed & the QB running it a high % of the time "*in each game*". (Not Good).
Not a good Spread Option situation!

Only 43% of passes completed & the QB running it a high % of the time "*in each game*". (Not Good).
Not a good Spread Option situation!

only 43 total passes completed! We might as well run the ööööing wishbone. We're boring AF. If TQ is the starter, it's gonna be another ööööty year of stupid QB keepers and the worst throwing mechanics in P5 football.

only 43 total passes completed! We might as well run the ööööing wishbone. We're boring AF. If TQ is the starter, it's gonna be another ööööty year of stupid QB keepers and the worst throwing mechanics in P5 football.
Everything in this post is correct

The *Spread Triple Option is the only true Triple Option system that you can run the Triple Option from consistently. If you're going to be called a Triple Option team then you should be running the Triple at least 25% of the time. The rest are supplemental plays to the Triple, including play action passes, that open up as the defense shows there hand in covering the three phases of the triple.

If your QB is running most of the time in each game & only completes 43% of his passes you've got real problems! I know & have seen The QB carry the game because that's what the defense is giving the offense but not every game.

I check on GT's scores, but have watched very few of your games in the last 3 years & their could be a lot of reasons for this situation, but from what I'm reading you really need a new QB or hope he catches fire and really studies *his films and reads the functions that he is responsible for.

***GaSo running the Pistol Option instead of PJs Spread Triple Option
It seems that Ga. Southern will be running the option or Triple Option from the Pistol formation or Pistol Option. I do not like the running the Triple from the Pistol! Because the QB is not under center it is to easy for the defensive back field to read the FB mesh which then opens the defense up to read the next 2 phases. Supposedly the reason for putting the QB in the Pistol is to allow an Option QB more time to read & complete his passing. * When looking back at GSUs best Spread Option teams under Erk, Johnson and 2 other of our good coaches I don't see the improvement.

The Spread Triple option formation places 4 offensive, wide outs & A backs, receivers on or near the line. It was a modified passing formation. There are times when you want your option QB in a shotgun but not all the time like we're going to do, in my humble opinion.

(Hopes for GT.)
I hope you get your new QB or fix the offense so that your averaging 380+ rushing yards and an effective passing game to keep the opponents defense on there toes and guessing.

I know TQM is the popular scapegoat, but are people just forgetting that we had tons of called dives and pitches with JT? This isn't some new phenomenon where we've gone away from the base and reduced the option play count. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but I remember there being a step change after Bo left.

The *Spread Triple Option is the only true Triple Option system that you can run the Triple Option from consistently. If you're going to be called a Triple Option team then you should be running the Triple at least 25% of the time. The rest are supplemental plays to the Triple, including play action passes, that open up as the defense shows there hand in covering the three phases of the triple.

If your QB is running most of the time in each game & only completes 43% of his passes you've got real problems! I know & have seen The QB carry the game because that's what the defense is giving the offense but not every game.

I check on GT's scores, but have watched very few of your games in the last 3 years & their could be a lot of reasons for this situation, but from what I'm reading you really need a new QB or hope he catches fire and really studies *his films and reads the functions that he is responsible for.

***GaSo running the Pistol Option instead of PJs Spread Triple Option
It seems that Ga. Southern will be running the option or Triple Option from the Pistol formation or Pistol Option. I do not like the running the Triple from the Pistol! Because the QB is not under center it is to easy for the defensive back field to read the FB mesh which then opens the defense up to read the next 2 phases. Supposedly the reason for putting the QB in the Pistol is to allow an Option QB more time to read & complete his passing. * When looking back at GSUs best Spread Option teams under Erk, Johnson and 2 other of our good coaches I don't see the improvement.

The Spread Triple option formation places 4 offensive, wide outs & A backs, receivers on or near the line. It was a modified passing formation. There are times when you want your option QB in a shotgun but not all the time like we're going to do, in my humble opinion.

(Hopes for GT.)
I hope you get your new QB or fix the offense so that your averaging 380+ rushing yards and an effective passing game to keep the opponents defense on there toes and guessing.

You keep missing the main point. He completed only 43 PASSES then entire season. His percentage was actually lower than that. 37% I believe.

Offense was pretty basic under TM last year, and defenses learned to take advantage of it.

Back