Paul Johnson as GT coach

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
GSUsTALON - GaSouFan6 at GSUFANS.com did the work.
Just thought I'd post this for the PJ haters

Bobby Dodd retired after the 1966 season.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 25 a total of 12 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 3 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 15 a total of 5 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 2 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has finished a season in the Top 10 a total of 3 times. Paul Johnson is responsible for 1 of those seasons.

In the subsequent 51 years, Georgia Tech has had 18 losing seasons. Paul Johnson is responsible for 3 of those seasons.

Paul Johnson has been Tech's coach for about 20 percent of those 51 seasons. He's responsible for 25 percent of Tech's Top 25 finishes, 40 percent of Tech's Top 15 finishes, and 33 percent of Tech's Top 10 finishes. He's responsible for 17 percent of Tech's losing seasons

GT has not gone bowling twice in something like 23 years, ? is responsible for both of them. Having said that, I would much rather be 11-3, 3-9, 9-4 and 5-6 than 7-6 every year.
"if 7-5 is your goal, i'm your man"- firechangailey.com

You consider 9-4 with a win over U[sic]GA terrible?

Two of the past three years have been very bad, which is not acceptable, but last year was a good year by pretty much any measure.
17-19 in the last 3 years is TERRIBLE

GT has not gone bowling twice in something like 23 years, ? is responsible for both of them. Having said that, I would much rather be 11-3, 3-9, 9-4 and 5-6 than 7-6 every year.
I'd rather have the valleys a little higher than 3-9 and 5-6. This offense is awful to watch if it's not dominating. Unfair, yes, but that's the road you chose when you went unconventional.

17-19 in the last 3 years is TERRIBLE

I understand the 17 -19 thing.
Just my opinion but I look at GT as the VANDY of the ACC. Its hard to recruit the players you want with the standards you have.
I think Johnson would have been a better fit at Nebraska, but I doubt he'll ever have that chance.

Be careful what you wish for. Georgia Southern uses the Triple Option and wins with it. Then when the HC moves on we hire a new HC with a totally different scheme and go through a 4-5 year loosing streak. I'm not saying another coach couldn't do better for a while but they are not easy to find.

I'd rather have the valleys a little higher than 3-9 and 5-6. This offense is awful to watch if it's not dominating. Unfair, yes, but that's the road you chose when you went unconventional.

Any offense is awful when they are not producing and winning at least 8 games a season. Weather it be a all out passing, balanced or run based team.

I like the Army/Navy game. Kids playing with heart for their school. About the only game where student athlete actually is halfway accurate and it still isn’t accurate cause it’s more like student athlete soldier.

I want football to be like that or be what it is but honest.

Either pay up front and in the light or make it about real student athletes

I get your point, but if you look at a trend line and not the average performance we are sliding down as is our talent level. The thing that irritates me about the current regime is that there is not recognition of this, or the concept of continuous improvement. If you are not changing you are going to get left behind. Other coaches in the ACC had to try different approaches to contain this offense and for the most part they have done better at it.

CPJ needs to be continously improving his offense but he's lazy. He'd rather play golf than come up with the innovations necessary to keep other teams guessing and uncomfortable. He's doesn't even try to scheme defensively, he just outsources that half of the game as well as special teams. He's not a very energetic recruiter because he thinks he will outsmart the opposition with his offensive system. I hope that that TStan will put more pressure on him to do the above and earn his salary or that he will just leave. Its up to him.

I graduated in Tech Class of '62. During the four years I was at Tech, Bobby Dodd's record was as follows:
'58 5-4-1 UGA L
'59 6-5 UGA L Gator Bowl L
'60 5-5 UGA L
'61 7-4 UGA W Gator Bowl L
I mention this to give some of you with short fuses a little perspective. Bobby Dodd was a Hall of Fame coach, but his glory years were the early/mid fifties.

I get your point, but if you look at a trend line and not the average performance we are sliding down as is our talent level. The thing that irritates me about the current regime is that there is not recognition of this, or the concept of continuous improvement. If you are not changing you are going to get left behind. Other coaches in the ACC had to try different approaches to contain this offense and for the most part they have done better at it.

CPJ needs to be continously improving his offense but he's lazy. He'd rather play golf than come up with the innovations necessary to keep other teams guessing and uncomfortable. He's doesn't even try to scheme defensively, he just outsources that half of the game as well as special teams. He's not a very energetic recruiter because he thinks he will outsmart the opposition with his offensive system. I hope that that TStan will put more pressure on him to do the above and earn his salary or that he will just leave. Its up to him.
How much of CPJ’s schedule do you know? Is he forbidden time for activities other than football? He can’t play golf? Can he sleep? Spend time with his family?

I graduated in Tech Class of '62. During the four years I was at Tech, Bobby Dodd's record was as follows:
'58 5-4-1 UGA L
'59 6-5 UGA L Gator Bowl L
'60 5-5 UGA L
'61 7-4 UGA W Gator Bowl L
I mention this to give some of you with short fuses a little perspective. Bobby Dodd was a Hall of Fame coach, but his glory years were the early/mid fifties.
Did he play golf? Cause if he did we need to go back in time and fire his ass

Fair enough.

But if I may, what would CPJ's record be against a schedule (in the same year) that includes:

bama
UF
UT
N.D.
CU
unc (with Lawrence Taylor & crowd)
ugag
Pitt (with Tony Dorsett)
USC

And many of those games vs Pell, Ford, bryant, Jordan, ara, McCay, dooley, Majors

Dodd left his replacements with tougher schedules than he would ever play, and several on the road that he would never play.

Bowl games? To get in a bowl game now all you have to be able to do is breath or fart. And after 10 years we have failed at that 2 of the last 3.

Last edited:
Back