Paul Johnson as GT coach

I watched the highlight youtube someone has posted that shows our chunk plays and it was surprising in a way. TQ has some very nice passes early in the season and then again against VT. I don't know how you explain the spearchunking evolution later in the season and the drop in percentage completion which was rather obvious.

His passes in the VT game weren't very good, just better than those end of year passes. My take on it was that the number of hits he was taking started to take a toll. Hits when you are protecting the ball just hurt more. I think the same thing was true of Benson. I wish that MJ had been able to take a series each half towards the end of the season.

I also think that hurricane screwed us. It meant that we ended the season with a nine game stretch. That hurts.

Not quite ready to start comparing CPJ to Coach Dodd. You have to WATCH every game. Tell me where we have an established pattern of excellence and/or dominance and consistency and I'll rank CPJ higher than I do now. We have not had one great team in 20 years. You have to be a loser to think that's ok.

You really cant compare Dodd to PJ. Different time and different Competition .

It's really hard to get an option QB, A-Backs and wide outs on the same page. If Tech can average 120+ yards per game then the odds should be in GTs favor as it WAS at G. Southern.

In most ways, you are correct. Winning makes any system look beautiful. However, this system *in particular* is tough to watch when it doesnt work. Feels like the same handful of plays run over and over again. Other offenses feel like they at least have 30+ plays they might try in a game. I know this isn't true but when you watch a game as a fan it looks that way.

Your right about the limited number of running plays in the Spread Option or any option based team. I read one of the best triple option books on the market by a Texas high school coach from the 70s when the wishbone ran supreme. Although the wishbone wont work anymore because of the tight backfield the spread allows the t-option to be successful. 30+ or more with other Schemes & about 20 with the T-Option. That's not a bad thing though.

There is no better T-Option coach than PJ in my opinion. Both Army & NAVY turned their programs around using PJs system & both head coaches were
taught by PJ.

The Spread option is not the end all be all of offenses but you must recruit the best for the scheme. I think GT has a hard time at that.

Last edited:
His passes in the VT game weren't very good, just better than those end of year passes. My take on it was that the number of hits he was taking started to take a toll. Hits when you are protecting the ball just hurt more. I think the same thing was true of Benson. I wish that MJ had been able to take a series each half towards the end of the season.

I also think that hurricane screwed us. It meant that we ended the season with a nine game stretch. That hurts.

It's funny how we remembered the VT game. I looked back and TQ actually went 2/8 passing, with a pick six. Of the two big passed, Stewart's was on the money. Jeune did a great job for his pass stretching out and staying on balance.

Today, you need only be 1 of 4 teams picked for the CFP. And you don't have to run the table - just win your division and
win your conf. championship.

That's right some people picked who should play for the NC.

I know many of you are not interested in FCS, D2 or D3 but if you look up the history of there playoffs the #1 & #2 seed did not win the NC even if they ran the table' There a lot of variables. If the P5 went to a 8 team playoff with the 5 P5 conference winners and 3 of the best outside the conference winners all would take care of itself. The first round goes to the top 4 at home to cut down on expenses & the final 4 go to a bowl.

Last edited:
I’ve been a t-shirt Tech fan since 2008 and I watch most of the Navy games as well. This has been a tough season. By the end of the year, both teams threw the ball like junior high teams and played horrible defense.

CPJ has got to put a qb out there next year who can complete 50-60% of their passes. The offense has got to have some balance. Balance does not mean pass half the time. It means being proficient enough that you make defenses pay when they sell out to stop the run. It means getting the A backs the ball on the perimeter with 8-10yd per carry averages.

I’ve been a t-shirt Tech fan since 2008 and I watch most of the Navy games as well. This has been a tough season. By the end of the year, both teams threw the ball like junior high teams and played horrible defense.

CPJ has got to put a qb out there next year who can complete 50-60% of their passes. The offense has got to have some balance. Balance does not mean pass half the time. It means being proficient enough that you make defenses pay when they sell out to stop the run. It means getting the A backs the ball on the perimeter with 8-10yd per carry averages.

A completion percentage in the upper 40's will make the offense go, especially if you are making good pitch reads on the outside (basically short passes).

Not quite ready to start comparing CPJ to Coach Dodd. You have to WATCH every game. Tell me where we have an established pattern of excellence and/or dominance and consistency and I'll rank CPJ higher than I do now. We have not had one great team in 20 years. You have to be a loser to think that's ok.

2014 was a great team.

The offense has got to have some balance. Balance does not mean pass half the time. It means being proficient enough that you make defenses pay when they sell out to stop the run. It means getting the A backs the ball on the perimeter with 8-10yd per carry averages.

I think the lack of of Aback threat this year was one of the more frustrating parts of the offense. Lynch and Searcy were explosive for us in 2016 (both in the running and passing game) and were largely afterthoughts this year.

Edit: Just to clarify, not blaming the lack of explosiveness on them. More just general decision making and play calling (and probably blocking) not getting the ball in their hands.

Last edited:
I watched the highlight youtube someone has posted that shows our chunk plays and it was surprising in a way. TQ has some very nice passes early in the season and then again against VT. I don't know how you explain the spearchunking evolution later in the season and the drop in percentage completion which was rather obvious.
He missed some big passes against VT too.

We missed a lot of pitch reads this year.

Oh yeah, for sure. And they didn’t really seem to ever get the ball thrown to them either. I’m hoping we figure it a way to start getting the ball to them in space again next season.

It's funny how we remembered the VT game. I looked back and TQ actually went 2/8 passing, with a pick six. Of the two big passed, Stewart's was on the money. Jeune did a great job for his pass stretching out and staying on balance.
A scud missile will hit a target if you shoot it enough. Bad guidance system but still will get it within a large radius and statistical variance guarantees a hit once in a while.

This is exceptionally frustrating to me.

This is like having Bruce Lee as a martial arts instructor but, since we suck at martial arts, he will switch to teaching us boxing.

We have a QB who has 3 years in the offense but can't make reads or see/hit wide open receivers. Then we have an über athlete who, inexplicably, cannot beat out the guy who can't make reads or find/hit wide open receivers.

At some point, I just quit trying to figure out what the problem is and start to notice how everything is starting to look like dirty bathwater.
Excellent analogy; would read again.

I think the lack of of Aback threat this year was one of the more frustrating parts of the offense. Lynch and Searcy were explosive for us in 2016 (both in the running and passing game) and were largely afterthoughts this year.

Edit: Just to clarify, not blaming the lack of explosiveness on them. More just general decision making and play calling (and probably blocking) not getting the ball in their hands.
Agree 100%. I think our WRs as a group have been mediocre at best since 2014, but our A-backs have been excellent in the passing game. There is no reason we should not be finding Searcy and Lynch, because both have shown very good hands and home run ability. Those guys matched up on LBs or even 1 on 1 with safeties should be easy targets.

Excellent insight. If the defense sets itself up for 15+ passes a game then PJs then all of GTs backs should be able to catch 55 – 60% of your QBs passes if it’s a good throw.

I give the following based on research I did, some years back, on GSUs, scoring, total yards & passing yards. When GSU had 1oo – 120 yards per game passing we won 9-10 times or better. Of course we won a lot of games throw in less than 6 passes to with under 90 yard of passing.

The frequency of a Spread Option team’s passing of course is determined by a few things though. As you posted. IMO, the 3 most critical for a Spread team are the QBs & backs ability to pass and catch, the lines ability to pass block in both a play option and sometimes a drop back, and how the defense is set up to stop the option.

*GSU was blessed the Erk era, when Johnson was the offensive coordinator, With QB Tracy Ham, backs that could catch and a line that could block for both play action * drop back. Ham completed about 55% of his passes in his time at GSU. Sometimes over 60+% in some games.

*When PJ was the head coach at Southern he had the best players in GSUs history and again the passing game worked for him.

***I hope GT can find a QB that can complete 55-60% of his passes. It would really open up the running game for huge yardage & scoring.

Meh, I think it's easier today. Back then, you had to run the table and win votes from AP to even get a chance at being 1 of 2 teams with a shot at a title. It was more subjective than today.

Today, you need only be 1 of 4 teams picked for the CFP. And you don't have to run the table - just win your division and win your conf. championship.

Or be the CFP's golden boy like Bama

Here's our pass completion rate and win % for last several years
2012 53% 50%
2013 45% 54%
2014 52% 79%
2015 42% 25%
2016 52% 69%
2017 36% 45%

Looks like we really did well to do as well as we did last year.

Back