Hewitt's staying. News Conference at 11am.

No, Schultzy didn't buy it; replied with WTTE of "Rumors from Tech alumni mean nothing"... subsequent tweet to me implied that he's sticking with his prediction that he's gone, citing that buyout can be paid out over 5 years, so it's not a one-time shock.

I admit I didn't know that little fact. If it's true that we can pay out the buyout over 5 years, there is no sense in retaining him.

The buyout isn't going to be a financially restricting to payoff as some think and that is why I believe we will get the press conference next Monday.

It states in the contract that it is a yearly buyout. So he will be payed his yearly salary for the next 5 yrs (if we give him notice by March 15th that will are not rolling the contract over, then the contract ends and the buy out is enforced - this year counts as yr 1, so 5 more to pay out.)
To help with the cash flow though, Gailey's last payment is January 2012, so at that point you have $875K you might as well just put straight toward Hewitt's payout. Also, starting this year GT will start receiving the money from the new ACC TV contract that will amount to about an additional $6MM/yr over the old contract.

Our debt load will still be high because of all the construction projects, but the cash flow will be there to payoff Hewitt and still be able to afford a new coach.

It will be interesting to see if we do the 5-yr payout or try to negotiate a lump-sum just to get it done with and move forward.
RamblinRed

I just would like to say that not only do give props to myself because of this great hoax, I also take full credit for getting demjackets to post again.

The self circle jerk continues.

LOL...What's street cred on Stingtalk worth, anyway?

I was responding to your overly dramatic comment that it takes a moment to lose trust and a lifetime to gain it back with a very TIC response that it was worth it, considering as you pointed out that afterall, this is Stingtalk. No ****, which is why it was worth it. And once again, the comment goes over your head. Next time I'll put the rolly eyes sarcasm emoticon so you'll finally ****ing get it.

I was responding to your overly dramatic comment that it takes a moment to lose trust and a lifetime to gain it back with a very TIC response that it was worth it, considering as you pointed out that afterall, this is Stingtalk. No ****, which is why it was worth it. And once again, the comment goes over your head. Next time I'll put the rolly eyes sarcasm emoticon so you'll finally ****ing get it.

Easy there, BOR. Let's take it down to DEFCON 2.

I believed that BOR had heard from someone that Hewitt was staying, but I just figured he heard a rumor from someone who didn't know what they were talking about...so he fooled me in the sense that he was intentionally wrong instead of just wrong, I guess.

BoR, have you ever covered yourself in blood, lied on the floor next to a gun, and waited for your wife to come home? That would be a good prank.

If he stays Drad should go.

This has become a chorus of sorts lately.

Who's to say we have the financial means of paying PH and another coach? I understand our payout through the ESPN deal will be growing but with everything else going on, it may be tough to find the cash to buy out such a lucrative (and dumb) contract.

I don't think DRad would keep him just because he doesn't feel like being decisive, because as far as I'm concerned, opting to NOT fire him now is as much a decision as giving him the axe.

He understands that this program is going nowhere good under PH, and as AD it's his job to right the ship. He's a very competent human being who showed Gailey the door when he had done an adequate job (no losing seasons, for one).

I am confident DRad will do the right thing, provided he has the financial means to do so.

BoR, have you ever covered yourself in blood, lied on the floor next to a gun, and waited for your wife to come home? That would be a good prank.

I'm adding it to my repertoire this week. Will let you know how it goes. I also plan on hiding in the closet with a hockey mask and surpising my three year old. :facepalm:

I'm adding it to my repertoire this week. Will let you know how it goes. I also plan on hiding in the closet with a hockey mask and surpising my three year old. :facepalm:

You of all people should know that 90% of the posters on here are wound so tightly that such a joke would throw them into full pantywad mode.

Another thought. Some one that's familiar with the ticket numbers, how long would it take to get a ROI if we sunk 7M into buying this guy out? Seems like it might be a long pay back period considering attendance numbers in all sports are down across the country.

The HUGE risk you run her is that in order to get a reasonable return, ticket sales need to go up i.e. the team has to improve. Problem is, this isn't a guarantee by any means. What if we fire Hewitt and get worse? Paying off that 7MM becomes impossible. All these things Drad has to factor in.

The contract specified the payout but it left room for the buyout to be negotiated over time. Radakovich has met at least 2 times that I know of with Hewitt's agent at the agent's office. The 2 mentioned times were within the past month. It's possible that there were more but what I have heard is that they are hammering out the details of the buyout.

Remember that Hewitt is still a relatively young coach and would like to coach again. Being a bouchedag about the buyout would guarantee that not only would DRad fire him but would probably trash him to any AD who called to ask about CPH as a person. Being negotiable doesn't hurt here. The man already has his fortune made and will still get the same amount of money. Just maybe over 3 - 5 years and he also might get a positive reference along the lines of "We still think the world of Paul. He took us to great heights at GT but we just felt like it was time for us to try something else. But Paul is still one hell of a coach and one of the finest men you'll ever meet." May make the difference in the man getting another head coaching gig somewhere, who knows?

Ooo, or get a female friend to call your house pretending to be a hooker who just found out she has AIDS and is calling her clientele to warn them.

Laugh riot, I tell you.

Back