He is in until 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys Paul Johnson just went 5-6 and got an extension. That's ööööed up

If you're spending money to upgrade the locker room and hiring more recruiting assistants, you're making a commitment to recruit better players, you also have to stand by your coach when he's got 2 years left on his contract. If TStan didn't commit now it would have been taken as a vote of no confidence and used as a negative recruiting tool by other teams, like 2014 season when Sasquatch waited until CPJ beat uga to give him an extension. You're also more likely to get a more favorable contract now. Everybody who's not looking at this emotionally knows it made sense.

no way. We can win 3 or so for a few years in a row and he'll stay. "It Is What It Is" is our new motto. CPJ ain't goin' nowhere.
I honestly think if we don't make it to a bowl game this year CPJ would retire

Why? He’s not going to retire and give up a paycheck. He’ll make us fire him and then negotiate a payout for his butt buddy Sewak.
Damn I forgot about that guy. You're probably right. Sewak knows some dirt on Paul

I honestly think if we don't make it to a bowl game this year CPJ would retire

Ah, the retirement angle. I guess it's a possibility but I think CPJ is smart enough to realize he's got a pretty cush gig with us.

Yea none of them were good enough to last 10 yrs. That isn't irrelevant, it shows he is a good coach. Every program goes through up and downs. Look what kind of season Notre Dame had two yrs ago. They bounced back last yr. It hurts a program firing coaches every few yrs. Just ask Tenn fans.
Seriously? What’s your opinion of Bobby Ross then? Or are you too young to remember?

If you're spending money to upgrade the locker room and hiring more recruiting assistants, you're making a commitment to recruit better players, you also have to stand by your coach when he's got 2 years left on his contract. If TStan didn't commit now it would have been taken as a vote of no confidence and used as a negative recruiting tool by other teams, like 2014 season when Sasquatch waited until CPJ beat uga to give him an extension. You're also more likely to get a more favorable contract now. Everybody who's not looking at this emotionally knows it made sense.
Ok. But it’s this logic that got us the Hewitt contract. At least the buyout isn’t Hewitt-esque

That's why Sewak is still around.

Sewak is only doing what CPJ is telling him to do. The problem is that CPJ's ankle-diving, fish-flopping techniques suck. It might work in HS and in FCS Southern ball but guys just jump over our flopping OL at this level.

Ok. But it’s this logic that got us the Hewitt contract. At least the buyout isn’t Hewitt-esque
No. It's not this logic that got us the Hewitt contract. Otherwise we would have gotten the Hewitt contract. This is nothing like that. You guys are making hyporboles that don't make any sense to make a point that's not there.

Actually, this is the exact opposite of the logic that got us the Hewitt contract. The Hewitt contract happened after Hewitt peaked, not after he had a down year. However, if Paul Johnson gets us to the championship game this probably gets renegotiated without anyone complaining.

well, I for one am very happy about the extension. The program at Georgia Tech is unique. Its like MIT putting together a football team
and then competing with Georgia, Clemson, Miami and the like. We are lucky to have him and personally it will be a sad day when he retires.

What? It has no similarity; Hewitt took us to the NC game and was being pursued by bigger programs. Hewitt's contract was intended to keep him at GT and succeeded all too well.

CPJ contract extension is to allow him to recruit without the handicap of opposing coaches whispering "he's gonna be fired" into recruit's ears.

Seriously? What’s your opinion of Bobby Ross then? Or are you too young to remember?
Bobby Ross only coached 5 yrs at Tech. He coached from 87 to 91. Even though he won the national championship his record was only 36-25-1, barely over 500. I liked Bobby but he had some bad yrs also. PJ has lasted long term and has done a lot at Tech. These next 5 yrs will be his best!

well, I for one am very happy about the extension. The program at Georgia Tech is unique. Its like MIT putting together a football team
and then competing with Georgia, Clemson, Miami and the like. We are lucky to have him and personally it will be a sad day when he retires.
Right on brother, it will be a sad day when he leaves. Tech better be carefull who they replace him with. It could set us back a long time if the right guy isn't hired!

I agree, had he won 7 he may have gotten a Hewitt contract. You are right that is ooooed up
Good thing our AD is to smart not to make a decision based on one season. PJ has proven he is a good coach. You can't jump the gun and fire a coach for a bad season of two. Tenn has been doing this for years now and it has hurt their program tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back