Expansion

I don’t think uga or Auburn want them either.
How many do they need to block? Any GT fan should be well aware, this is how we got blacklisted after we left the SEC. Piss off Bama, piss off Ole Miss, they form an alliance against you.

How many do they need to block? Any GT fan should be well aware, this is how we got blacklisted after we left the SEC. Piss off Bama, piss off Ole Miss, they form an alliance against you.
Alabama sponsored us back into the SEC. It wasn't them who vetoed us. Bear and Dodd were on good terms in the 1970's.

This is all I could find.

The 140 rule went to a vote by the University president's of each school. The final vote was a tie, 6 league institutions in favor and 6 against. It came down the vote of the University of Alabama president. Bryant had previously told Dodd that he would convince the president to vote against the ruling. However, when the voting was held, Bryant did not make an appearance, the University of Alabama president voted in favor of the 140 rule. This was the final straw for Dodd and Georgia Tech. Immediately following the ruling, the Georgia Tech president took the podium and announced that Georgia Tech would be officially withdrawing from the league.

This is all I could find on the vote in 1983,

. So when talks began that the Jackets would rejoin the conference, both Mississippi schools would not support a vote to let the storied program back in. In 1983, Georgia Tech retired their independent status and joined the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Not sure who else voted no if those were the only ones.

Yes, back then ADs decided. There was no prescribed conference schedule in the SEC back then. You just had to play a minimum of 5, maybe 6, conference games, IIRC.
This is correct. A lot of people want to apply what is happening with conferences today with what they were like in 1963. Most leagues were loose alliances, and the teams that played each other were typically close proximity rivals. Dodd, as AD, continued to play Auburn, UGA and Tennessee for a long time after leaving the league.
Had he known what was going to happen in the future, would he have chosen the path he did? Probably not. But Tech football didn’t get a lot of help from The Hill or the BOR either. Tech’s decline in the late 60’s and 70’d wasn’t all because they left the SEC

What if Clemson leaves the ACC and both the BIG10 and SEC say "nah, we're good". Clemson Begs the BIG12?

Sorry Big Dan Im not on facebook but click on I Bleed Orange
Ok I went to tigernet and saw it. Interesting. I really do hate all of this öööö kid season. I thought the rumor mill would turn down and we would be able to enjoy a season.

The truth is I think a lot of these amateur you tube grinders are using anything to start rumors to generate views. The off-season is tough for them cause no one wants to listen to them actually talk ball.

Ok I went to tigernet and saw it. Interesting. I really do hate all of this öööö kid season. I thought the rumor mill would turn down and we would be able to enjoy a season.

The truth is I think a lot of these amateur you tube grinders are using anything to start rumors to generate views. The off-season is tough for them cause no one wants to listen to them actually talk ball.
I agree I’m fine with it over the summer but it’s football and that is what I look forward to now.

This is all I could find.

The 140 rule went to a vote by the University president's of each school. The final vote was a tie, 6 league institutions in favor and 6 against. It came down the vote of the University of Alabama president. Bryant had previously told Dodd that he would convince the president to vote against the ruling. However, when the voting was held, Bryant did not make an appearance, the University of Alabama president voted in favor of the 140 rule. This was the final straw for Dodd and Georgia Tech. Immediately following the ruling, the Georgia Tech president took the podium and announced that Georgia Tech would be officially withdrawing from the league.

This is all I could find on the vote in 1983,

. So when talks began that the Jackets would rejoin the conference, both Mississippi schools would not support a vote to let the storied program back in. In 1983, Georgia Tech retired their independent status and joined the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Not sure who else voted no if those were the only ones.
The SEC vote was in 1978. So was the ACC vote, but we became full members of the ACC in football in 1983.

Along with the MS schools, Auburn voted “no.” UGAg voted “abstain,” like the total wusses that they are. Their vote would have given us the required 7 votes as UF, UA, UT, UK, VU, and LSU all voted “yes.”

Today we may have it straight up as the UGAg/Auburn vote has been diluted. I dare say that MO, UTA, OU, TAMU, LSU, UA, UT, UK, VU, UF, and USCe would all probably vote ”yes.” Maybe even the MS schools now. I sincerely doubt that AU or UGAg would vote “yes.”

Evidence? Of course there's evidence. They are top tier programs. The only two teams that don't want them are South Carolina and Florida. The two of those schools could start a faction to keep Clemson/FSU out, but the question is who is gonna support their block? But of course they want both.
sec commish might want them to drive up revenue, but interesting perspective is why would bama and ugag want all of these OU and texas teams in and make their path to the top even harder. i guess a rising tide lifts all boats, so sec as a whole benefits, but maybe at expense of some individual teams. think of the lower tier Arkansas and mizzou's of the league. their 25% odds of making a conference title is quickly shrinking. but if it helps pad the pockets of their pres and ADs, who cares if they win i guess?

sec commish might want them to drive up revenue, but interesting perspective is why would bama and ugag want all of these OU and texas teams in and make their path to the top even harder. i guess a rising tide lifts all boats, so sec as a whole benefits, but maybe at expense of some individual teams. think of the lower tier Arkansas and mizzou's of the league. their 25% odds of making a conference title is quickly shrinking. but if it helps pad the pockets of their pres and ADs, who cares if they win i guess?
Because, eventually, the SEC want the national championship to just be a team from their league. Eventually, they will try to snip Michigan, Ohio State, USC to be part of their club. Screw the rest of them, and yes, that includes you Penn State

Back