Expansion

We might have a chance this time having played both MSU and Ole Miss home-home in the last 15 years.
Who did someone say our AD (or was it Cabrera?) was getting chummy with on the sidelines during the game? Ole Miss's AD or the SEC commissioner? I can't remember.

If UGAg would be decent, and they won't because they are assholes, they would throw their weight behind us. öööö, they bent over to make sure that Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, aTm all got their little buddy rivalries intact and in conference. You'd think UGA would want their second (?) oldest rival in their conference.

It is so weird to live in a state where the legislature actively wants to kill one of their major universities' sports teams, but that is Georgia for you. No UVA "we are gonna veto until VT gets in" like ACC expansion.

It would have been much better for UGAg, for decades, to have us as an in conference and be able to schedule one more patsy team OOC

Ok I'll put this to rest, after talking to my source ( Father I'll leave his name out to protect him)
here is the real story

Notre Dame after losing to Ohio State now knows in order to be assured a playoff spot it would be easier to be a conference champ. After looking at the ACC they feel with Clemson and FSU gone they could win the ACC championship. So, I asked why did they want UNC and Uva to go. Father (still can't say his name) They aren't worried about UNC but at some point Tech may not beat them like the past. And Uva was just to throw people off. I asked him was he worried about Georgia Tech, and he said I'll keep my eye on that Coach Key he seems to be a good coach. If they ( GT) does get better, we'll see if we can get them in a different conference or we will just hire their new offensive coordinator}.

And now you know the real story.

( see how easy it is to make sh*t up ) If I was on Facebook someone would pick this up to be true.

Who did someone say our AD (or was it Cabrera?) was getting chummy with on the sidelines during the game? Ole Miss's AD or the SEC commissioner? I can't remember.

If UGAg would be decent, and they won't because they are assholes, they would throw their weight behind us. öööö, they bent over to make sure that Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, aTm all got their little buddy rivalries intact and in conference. You'd think UGA would want their second (?) oldest rival in their conference.

It is so weird to live in a state where the legislature actively wants to kill one of their major universities' sports teams, but that is Georgia for you. No UVA "we are gonna veto until VT gets in" like ACC expansion.

It would have been much better for UGAg, for decades, to have us as an in conference and be able to schedule one more patsy team OOC
J Batt and Sankey (SEC commish) were chatting it up at Ole Miss pre-game on the sidelines. They probably have a past relationship from Batt's time at Bama, but I did find it odd that Sankey was at that game rather than UGA/USCe, Tenn/Florida, or LSU/Miss State. All 3 of those conference games featured teams ranked higher than Ole Miss.

If that's all it took 60 years ago, shame on the GTAA.
Get you a copy of “Dodd’s Luck” and read it, specifically the sections about leaving and applying for reentry to the SEC. it’s all there, from CBD’s POV.
Auburn and UGAg didn’t want us back in because Dodd had owned them when we were in the conference. From 1949-1963, the 15 years prior to our departure, we were 8-6-1 against Auburn and 11-4 against UGAg. Combined 19-10-1, winning almost 2/3 of the time. They did not want us back in the conference.

The MS schools didn’t like us because Dodd wouldn’t play them. They insisted on playing home-home and Dodd would lose money doing that. Few others were either. Dodd even offered to give them the home share of the gate every other year, which was far more than they would make at home, but they said no. He didn’t have to play them and he didn’t. They hated him for it and wouldn’t vote to let us back in.

Sad but true.

Get you a copy of “Dodd’s Luck” and read it, specifically the sections about leaving and applying for reentry to the SEC. it’s all there, from CBD’s POV.
Auburn and UGAg didn’t want us back in because Dodd had owned them when we were in the conference. From 1949-1963, the 15 years prior to our departure, we were 8-6-1 against Auburn and 11-4 against UGAg. Combined 19-10-1, winning almost 2/3 of the time. They did not want us back in the conference.

The MS schools didn’t like us because Dodd wouldn’t play them. They insisted on playing home-home and Dodd would lose money doing that. Few others were either. Dodd even offered to give them the home share of the gate every other year, which was far more than they would make at home, but they said no. He didn’t have to play them and he didn’t. They hated him for it and wouldn’t vote to let us back in.

Sad but true.
Not really sad as much as short-sighted. And since when do coaches decide who to play where and when? I've heard that a zillion times that Dodd "refused" to travel to Mississippi. So, did he make up the schedule every year and decide all this stuff? There has to be more to it.

Not really sad as much as short-sighted. And since when do coaches decide who to play where and when? I've heard that a zillion times that Dodd "refused" to travel to Mississippi. So, did he make up the schedule every year and decide all this stuff? There has to be more to it.
So did everyone else in the conference. Hardly anyone played in Mississippi.

Texas & Oklahoma managed to avoid paying Big 12 GoR exit fees and continue receiving conference revenue. Guessing Clemson is looking at that move as a model for a similar move.
In theory, this meant that Texas and Oklahoma faced the prospect of losing two years’ worth of money from the Big 12 – and under another provision in the bylaws, any withheld money potentially could have been redistributed to other Big 12 schools while UT and OU finished their time in the conference. In addition, Texas and Oklahoma faced the prospect of having to negotiate to essentially buy back the TV rights to their home games, so they could then transfer those rights to the SEC.

That’s not what happened.
Texas and Oklahoma received full revenue shares from the Big 12 during a fiscal year ending June 30, 2022, according to the conference’s federal tax records. Former Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, who announced his plans to retire in April 2022, said no withholding of revenue occurred at that point because OU and UT were “still suggesting they would stay till the end of the (TV) contract (in June 2025). A lot of things were in flux at that time.”
Texas, Oklahoma left Big 12 early for SEC. ESPN's role in realignment (usatoday.com)

Both offer a bite at the VA market, which is significant snd growing.

The SEC and B1G are going to have to decide if they want to compete in the same market. So far they have not.
but by this logic, why would they want FSU and clem? if it's only about money now, SEC already got florida and sc market.

Yes, back then ADs decided. There was no prescribed conference schedule in the SEC back then. You just had to play a minimum of 5, maybe 6, conference games, IIRC.

but by this logic, why would they want FSU and clem? if it's only about money now, SEC already got florida and sc market.

It is about how each conference makes money and about directly competing.

Adding a school in a new state makes the B1G extra money on every subscriber in that state. Adding FSU or Miami would be a goldmine. So would GT or one of the Virginia schools. All three are big populous states. (and NC)

Clemson is a different animal. They are about adding interesting games to the schedule. No one is wowed by the number of viewers in SC, even counting the snowbirds in the low country.

What we haven’t seen is the B1G or SEC invade each other’s territory. That is going to change if the acc breaks up. VA and NC may be up for grabs, but no one is going to leave FSU/Clemson/Miami sitting on the sideline.

GT and Miami have the largest TV markets in the ACC by FAR, and the two best recruiting areas in the Southeast, and two desirable and easy road trips for opposing fans. There are very good reasons why the BIG has already tried to get us.

There is no real evidence that the SEC does want FSU and Clemson.
Evidence? Of course there's evidence. They are top tier programs. The only two teams that don't want them are South Carolina and Florida. The two of those schools could start a faction to keep Clemson/FSU out, but the question is who is gonna support their block? But of course they want both.

Evidence? Of course there's evidence. They are top tier programs. The only two teams that don't want them are South Carolina and Florida. The two of those schools could start a faction to keep Clemson/FSU out, but the question is who is gonna support their block? But of course they want both.

I don’t think uga or Auburn want them either.

Back