Which QB do you start against Tennessee?

Who's your quarterback against Tennessee?

• Matthew Jordan

Votes: 58 33.1%
  • Taquan Marshall

Votes: 78 44.6%
  • Lucas Johnson

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Vad Lee

Votes: 15 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
JT was a great qb and I hated to see him graduate, but we became a big play offense. We've had few 8 minute grind it out drives the last few years. Ball control keeps the defense off the field. With Mills & MJ, we can pound the ball down the field and eat clock.

JT was a great qb and I hated to see him graduate, but we became a big play offense. We've had few 8 minute grind it out drives the last few years. Ball control keeps the defense off the field. With Mills & MJ, we can pound the ball down the field and eat clock.
I'd rather be able to do both big play offense and death march. Big play offense is why we beat uga twice in three years. It gives a better chance against teams that are a lot stronger than us on paper.

I'd rather be able to do both big play offense and death march. Big play offense is why we beat uga twice in three years. It gives a better chance against teams that are a lot stronger than us on paper.
agree. goes without saying but I'll say it anyways... the more times you have to snap the ball to score, the more bad things can go wrong.

IMO the best chance of doing both is with a physical qb who can stick his nose in there and get 3 yards on poorly blocked plays. Small quick qbs rarely fall forward.

The one who won't put the damned ball on the ground :sqint:

I'd start off the game with whoever is the least likely to turn it over. And someone who can throw a pass, however ugly, to a wide open AB. Tennessee needs to show us they can stop our basic stuff before we need a playmaker under center.

Although I am pulling for LJ, I think the starter will be TaQuan Marshall.

CPJ mentioned that in '13 he chose Vad over JeT because he could see the potential in JT but he hadn't quite put it all together. That's exactly how he speaks of JJ this year. He can see the talent and athleticism but he's got to "harness" it. I don't think this will be our last QB controversy for the next 2 years.

I see the same thing - both from CPJ comments and Jay's HS film. I'm betting Jay is starting by the end of 2018. I also think LJ is behind the other 3 right now based on CPJs comments the other day. Mentioned in jest that he had a 1 and a 1A....and a 1B. But didn't know if he had a 1C. And earlier had commented that he might not have a definitive starter for UT and instead be calling up guys to play as he wanted - and he mentioned MJ, TM, and JJ by name, but not LJ.

From all the comments I'm deducing that the pecking order is:

1. MJ - by default from last year. But hasn't been healthy or crisp. Like most people I assume his arm is a growing question mark. His arm looked WEAK against VT despite the win. But he knows the offense better than the rest.

1A. TM - rising fast, as in MJ better be healthy quick to avoid losing his spot. I've literally never seen him run the offense though (need to watch more of the spring game replay).

1B. JJ - doesn't have the offense figured out yet. JT 2013 as bmeGT alluded to. If he goes in we're gonna have a lot of called plays rather than full options. But I remember watching his HS film and thinking he'd be a star at QB for us. CPJ also had a comment when asked about possibly moving TM to AB - he said that's a possibility but "not Jay. Jay's a QB." I read that as "Jay is probably going to be our QB when the light turns on."

2. LJ - Maybe a change of pace guy right now. CPJ hasn't really mentioned him sinc camp started. He can sling it, but He reminds me of Vad a little. Bigger/taller guy than can sling it but might not be quick enough in tight spaces to move the offense. IDK - could be completely wrong there. But most of the great CPJ QBs have been smaller/quicker guys.

All this QB thinking had be missing JT too. It's crazy to think as good of a runner as he was that he probably had the best arm of any GT QB in the last 15 years if not further. That kid could spin it at 5'10". He will be missed.

Last edited:
CPJ mentioned that in '13 he chose Vad over JeT because he could see the potential in JT but he hadn't quite put it all together.
2013-10-0515_35_15.gif

IMO MJ has already lost the job. This week CPJ will determine if it's Marshall or JJ. IF he goes with the kid I expect Marshall to slide over to A back and MJ will be the #2 and short yardage guy but regardless of who is #1 TM OR JJ I expect Jordan to be the backup / TD vulture

Back