Which QB do you start against Tennessee?

Who's your quarterback against Tennessee?

• Matthew Jordan

Votes: 58 33.1%
  • Taquan Marshall

Votes: 78 44.6%
  • Lucas Johnson

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Vad Lee

Votes: 15 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been firmly in the MJ camp all preseason, but this weekend I rewatched the VT game last year, and while MJ had a few good plays (the long run, one or two nice passes, and good goal line running), there were also a ton of really ugly and ineffective plays. He's too timid with the football, and hinders the offense when he tucks and runs every other play.

The announcers kept praising him for his play after the first quarter, but I would argue that the defense (somehow) won us that game. There were numerous fumbles/INTs that changed the game completely. Also, Marcus Marshall ran his ass off. I think at this point I'm leaning towards younger more talented and more electric players with more to gain in the future. I like MJ - if it's him I'll support him and CPJ because they know way more than any of us... just answering the dumb poll.
Ultimately I trust CPJ but I'm with you here. MJ just looks so limited and I think CPJ was really surprised that the #1 offense was stoned in the scrimmage.

TM has been the big news in both the 16 and 17 spring camps....go back and check the clippings. However, he doesn't seem to have one standout trait which tends to make everyone think Tevin. Lucas and Jay are talents but probably not as ready as we would like.

It's a shame Jay isn't more polished yet - he's an electric athlete. The thing that set JT apart was his quickness in tight spaces. Jay's the only guy on the depth chart that can match that.

There is a ole saying--if you got 2 QBs ,you don't really have one probably--how does that apply to FOUR?

From his recruitment video as well as what has been said about him it seems Lucas Johnson really can throw the ball. if we are honest Justin Thomas won us some games with his arm last year, including the uga game.

Voted for Marshall

My non-committal, pointless, politically correct answer is whichever one matches up the best against UT's weakneses. If we can curb stomp UT without throwing a pass then who cares about passing?

We have a cupcake afterwards to re-evaluate.

My non-committal, pointless, politically correct answer is whichever one matches up the best against UT's weakneses. If we can curb stomp UT without throwing a pass then who cares about passing?

We have a cupcake afterwards to re-evaluate.

This! I suspect CPJ already has his UT game plan finalized, and which qb best fits that bill gets the start. The next two games, we might see something entirely different.

It seems Coach Johnson is handling this the right way. Because of his experience this should have been Jordan's job to lose. Issues of both injury and performance have cost him during the Spring and now Fall workouts the chance to solidify his hold on the starting job. So, now the position is open and the possibility of using more than one quarterback early remains an option on the table. My hope is that either Jordan will get better and play better soon or that Marshall will step up and run the offense well and take care of the football. Based solely on scrimmage reports, I guess that would be my first choice.

You guys that think a one hour scrimmage has any bearing on who the starter is are ridiculous.
It has as much bearing as the other practices. Maybe no more, but no less.

Last edited:
I think people are looking at this the wrong way. I think either QB would do fine - it's just that Roof has the defense playing at the level of the '85 Bears. Maybe slightly better.

I think people are looking at this the wrong way. I think either QB would do fine - it's just that Roof has the defense playing at the level of the '85 Bears. Maybe slightly better.

I'll believe that when I see it against Tennessee.

We're not here to start no trouble, we're just here to do the Sugar Bowl Shuffle.

Back