What is everyone complaining about?

I think coit has been pretty clear with his point and it is likely correct. If you want to get together and enjoy a football game with friends you are fine with GT. If you actually want to support a football program GT might not be your place. We are as good as we usually are and likely will ever be.

I think coit has been pretty clear with his point and it is likely correct. If you want to get together and enjoy a football game with friends you are fine with GT. If you actually want to support a football program GT might not be your place. We are as good as we usually are and likely will ever be.

Agreed, although I would say "be extremely invested in" rather than support. You can still support it, but if you can't roll with the punches and get extremely upset when we don't do what's necessary to be competitive, you're going to have a tough time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, although I would say "be extremely invested in" rather than support. You can still support it, but if you can't roll with the punches and get extremely upset when we don't do what's necessary to be competitive, you're going to have a tough time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Nah, support works. Andrew, its not up to you to define how people choose to support GT.

The funniest thing about melt downs is that people whine all off-season about how they can't wait for the season to start, and then cry and rant when the games are underway.

The funniest thing about melt downs is that people whine all off-season about how they can't wait for the season to start, and then cry and rant when the games are underway.

"Yes, this'll do nicely," he said, shaking off the quote and fitting it snugly into his signature.

No, the point is that we are really no better or worse than we have been historically. Sure there are ups and downs, and I'll bet all the Dodd lovers were pretty pissed toward the end of his era.

But as evidenced by past history, current performance is no indicator of what the future may hold.

Coach Dodd lovers were NEVER "pissed" at him. His last 6 seasons were 44-18-2. His last '66 team was 9-2.

Nah, support works. Andrew, its not up to you to define how people choose to support GT.

Well, the GTAA has yet to refund my monetary donations or give me the hours of my life back I spent camping out for football games as a student (or the hours I've spent traveling back to Atlanta to attend the games as an alum, for that matter), so it seems like it is possible to support our football program.

What's your definition of what it means to support a football program if not monetary donations, showing up on gameday to cheer, and being emotionally invested in the outcome?

Coach Dodd lovers were NEVER "pissed" at him. His last 6 seasons were 44-18-2. His last '66 team was 9-2.

Bee, with all due respect to Coit, that's the way I remember it. We were 9-0 during uga week for his last Head Coach year. Billy Lothridge and Kim King led the last 5-6 years. I don't remember anyone being "p_ss_d." There was discussion about not beating LSU, and Auburn would, at times, give us a fits, but, (from a younger boy's perspective) no one spoke irreverently about Coach Dodd for long in the Lower West.

Bee, with all due respect to Coit, that's the way I remember it. We were 9-0 during uga week for his last Head Coach year. Billy Lothridge and Kim King led the last 5-6 years. I don't remember anyone being "p_ss_d." There was discussion about not beating LSU, and Auburn would, at times, give us a fits, but, (from a younger boy's perspective) no one spoke irreverently about Coach Dodd for long in the Lower West.

Plus 12-10 vs the mutts with 8 in a row. How soon folks forget, but that was an ENTIRELY different era. GT fans need to rally behind the team EVERY game and stop all the BITCHING.

Plus 12-10 vs the mutts with 8 in a row. How soon folks forget, but that was an ENTIRELY different era. GT fans need to rally behind the team EVERY game and stop all the BITCHING.

I became a young fan during that uga win streak. Hell, I didn't think that we ever lost to the mutts.

The last Coach Dodd season, it seems like we were ranked within or close to Top 5 during uga week.

I wasn't trying to disrespect Dodd in any way. If Dodd were coaching today, these years might've caused him to be Bobby Cremins'ed.

1957: 4-4-2
1958: 5-4-1
1959: 6-4
1960: 5-5
1961: 7-3
1962: 7-2-1
1963: 7-3
1964: 7-3
1965: 6-3-1

Considering that Dodd lost only 7 games in the previous 6 years and won 6 straight bowl games, that's quite a down streak to endure.

My only point is that even the best coaches in our history have had some pretty rough streaks. Just something to keep in mind.

Nice charts, although there are some obvious issues:

1 - We are playing more games now than before. So this chart is best expressed in "winning percentage" instead of "wins per season". If you want to show it this way, then you need to put it on an angle (right side down) to reflect fewer games.

2 - your point seems to be yellow line (the 5 year rolling average) is good. Well if you extrapolate where that line it going to go (hint - look at the blue line in the past few years) - the rolling average is likely headed down...

/
True that.

Not to nit pic (but a lot of folks on here like to) in '65 he was 7-3-1 beating Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl and he did finish 9-2 his LAST season. Going from great teams('50's) to merely "good" teams (60's) did NOT cause fans to turn on him as I recall. I believe I see your point here but no one turned on him in ANY fashion as I see CPJ being BBQ'ed. I simply wish all GT fans would stay behind the team thru the good and bad times. That to me is a true fan.

Not to nit pic (but a lot of folks on here like to) in '65 he was 7-3-1 beating Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl and he did finish 9-2 his LAST season. Going from great teams('50's) to merely "good" teams (60's) did NOT cause fans to turn on him as I recall. I believe I see your point here but no one turned on him in ANY fashion as I see CPJ being BBQ'ed. I simply wish all GT fans would stay behind the team thru the good and bad times. That to me is a true fan.

Yes, Bill Lewis should still be the head coach.:hsughcry:

Well, the GTAA has yet to refund my monetary donations or give me the hours of my life back I spent camping out for football games as a student (or the hours I've spent traveling back to Atlanta to attend the games as an alum, for that matter), so it seems like it is possible to support our football program.

What's your definition of what it means to support a football program if not monetary donations, showing up on gameday to cheer, and being emotionally invested in the outcome?

You drunk?

I'm with you BEE. And I've tried to make it clear that all the records I have used are only the regular season games. I may have made a mistake in removing bowl game wins and losses by I tried to double check.

Yes, Bill Lewis should still be the head coach.:hsughcry:

Absolutely NOT--but did you turn against the TEAM, quit being a FAN? It is smart-ass post like yours that keep me from posting regularly on here.

I'm with you BEE. And I've tried to make it clear that all the records I have used are only the regular season games. I may have made a mistake in removing bowl game wins and losses by I tried to double check.

Or you could pick another arbitrary period like 3 or 4 years and come to a much different conclusion.

Another fact that affected people's thinking, but has faded during the intervening time and circumstances was that Tech liked to highlight that Coach Dodd was only the Institute's 3rd Head Coach EVER. During the '60s, everyone was not inclined to think of terminating the Head Football Coach. It took quite a paradigm shift to reach the conclusion (including Coach Dodd as AD) to relieve Coach Carson as the 1st Tech coach involuntarily terminated from his position.

Back