What is everyone complaining about?

coit

Persecuted for his beliefs
GT_Wins.PNG

GT_Win_Pctg.PNG

• Highest 5-year win average since the middle of Dodd's tenure.
  • Longest streak of 6 wins or better ever.
And here's an interesting look at our strength of schedule over the years.

From: http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/ran...m_rankings.php

Decade -- Schedule Strength Rank
1941-1950 -- 20
1951-1960 -- 16
1961-1970 -- 21
1971-1980 -- 42
1981-1990 -- 38
1991-2000 -- 39
2001-2010 -- 25

So, it looks like our current schedule strengths are higher than at any time since Dodd. And, they are more or less the same as the Dodd era.

So seriously, some of you really need to recalibrate your expectation regarding this program.
You want wins? You are getting as much as GT has ever provided on a year-in, year-out basis.

You want to be in the hunt for the National Championship? Better learn to say "Roll Tide" I guess.

Last edited:
id like to see a team that looked like they knew what they were doing.. that doesnt jump offsides on the first play from scrimmage and 45 plays after that.. in a word.. id like to see a new o-line coordinator first and foremost but dunno if pj has time to right that ship at this point..

Nice charts, although there are some obvious issues:

1 - We are playing more games now than before. So this chart is best expressed in "winning percentage" instead of "wins per season". If you want to show it this way, then you need to put it on an angle (right side down) to reflect fewer games.

2 - your point seems to be yellow line (the 5 year rolling average) is good. Well if you extrapolate where that line it going to go (hint - look at the blue line in the past few years) - the rolling average is likely headed down...

/

Great graph, provides a visual for what most rational people around here having been saying for years.

IMO firing Gailey was the wrong decision, but we really lucked up by getting PJ, a great coach who can deal with academic restrictions and won't bail for a football factory. Firing PJ at this point would be a horrifically bad decision, especially given the fact that he showed that he can WIN and WIN BIG with the right players.

God I hate these threads. These are as bad as meltdown threads IMO.

"Hey guys, nothing to worry about, everything is great, we've always sucked!!!"

Also # of wins is meaningless due to the expanding schedule. Use win % and that graph will look a lot different. 7 wins ain't what it used to be, which is why there are a kajillion bowl games.

It's sad that being unhappy with where we are as a program and in this season is called out as somehow irrational. I am not a "FIRE CPJ" guy (not yet), but I'm not going to tell everyone that things are just swell.

I hope posting this in the middle of the season doesn't turn around and bite you (and all of us) in the ass.

Also # of wins is meaningless due to the expanding schedule. Use win % and that graph will look a lot different. 7 wins ain't what it used to be, which is why there are a kajillion bowl games.

It's sad that being unhappy with where we are as a program and in this season is called out as somehow irrational. I am not a "FIRE CPJ" guy (not yet), but I'm not going to tell everyone that things are just swell.

I wouldn't say "a lot" different. Here's what you asked for:

21j14ig.jpg

We're right on par with where we've been in the modern era, and better on average than anything since Dodd. We've also avoided any awful seasons like we did in the 80's and under BL. Firing a fairly successful coach and taking a chance on a replacement is just asking for another season like that.

Nobody's happy with .500 football. We just expect another upswing like you see with every great coach we've had, amidst their slightly above average seasons.

It's equivalent to UGA bragging about David Greene's NCAA win record.

Remove the FCS games and account for the difference in 11 and 12 game schedules

This.

And don't forget the usual enjoy-the-atmosphere-it's-just-a-game denial :rotfl:. This program has won championships before, and if the games are still being played, that is the goal. If 7-5 and the Everyone Gets a Trophy Bowl is good enough for you, stop posting.

Here's the chart after removing the post-season games, win or loss. So this is the regular season winning percentage.

As posted earlier, there is really no different in the trend, nor in the length of time since we've had a sub .500 record in the regular season.

GT_Win_Pctg.PNG

As for FCS opponents, according to this link, we have played at least one FCS school in most years.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/georgiatech.htm

In the early 50s, Dodd was playing two weak teams out of 10 (such as Davidson and Tulane) so I think it is fair to leave the ones in the modern era in, especially since we have a lost to a few of the weak teams we have scheduled.

In the 80s, we typically played two I-AA teams per year.

Most people are complaining because they refuse to face the reality that Georgia Tech isn't the same school from which they graduated, nor is college football in the modern era equivalent to football in the supposed "Golden Era".

Back