What is everyone complaining about?

Chart cost per win based on the coach's salary. Ideally, it would be the cost of the entire coaching staff, but I'm not sure that data is readily available. If you do that, CCG is kicking CPJ's arse because he averaged about the same # of wins for about half the cost. Not that I'm a CCG fan because I'm not...but just saying. :pop:

College football has changed since then. All coaching positions make more money on average than they used to.

College football has changed since then. All coaching positions make more money on average than they used to.

Yes, please take the time to also factor in Total Coaches Salary / Total AD Revenue :hsugh2:

id like to see a team that looked like they knew what they were doing.. that doesnt jump offsides on the first play from scrimmage and 45 plays after that.. in a word.. id like to see a new o-line coordinator first and foremost but dunno if pj has time to right that ship at this point..

Sorry where was the one word? :biggrin:

id like to see a team that looked like they knew what they were doing.. that doesnt jump offsides on the first play from scrimmage and 45 plays after that..

this has been my biggest frustration - unforced errors. There is no excuse for the number of false starts we have had in the past three games.

id like to see a team that looked like they knew what they were doing.. that doesnt jump offsides on the first play from scrimmage and 45 plays after that.. in a word.. id like to see a new o-line coordinator first and foremost but dunno if pj has time to right that ship at this point..

this has been my biggest frustration - unforced errors. There is no excuse for the number of false starts we have had in the past three games.

oh you guys...stop being so negative! The chart says we are OK! :biggthumpup:

Great graph, provides a visual for what most rational people around here having been saying for years.

IMO firing Gailey was the wrong decision, but we really lucked up by getting PJ, a great coach who can deal with academic restrictions and won't bail for a football factory. Firing PJ at this point would be a horrifically bad decision, especially given the fact that he showed that he can WIN and WIN BIG with the right players.

Can win with right players but fails at getting right players.

Rebuttal?

Also, factoring in the results from FCS teams, whether wins, 4th down success, yards rushing, points, (or even fan interest) etc. in comparison or contrast to Coach Dodd's era leaves a question on validity. Sure, Coach Dodd regularly played lesser teams (traditionally Duke for Homecoming during the '60s), but they weren't record padding from a division with an unequal playing field.

I still grouse about charging normal ticket prices for these games. However, just when I get on a roll, an Appalachian State jumps up and wins one. Yea, Coach Curry lost to Furman (I didn't enjoy paying for that one either).

However, the stats from those games, including wins and wining percentages, tend to skew the statistics in a direction opposing common perception against FBS teams.

Nice charts, although there are some obvious issues:

1 - We are playing more games now than before. So this chart is best expressed in "winning percentage" instead of "wins per season". If you want to show it this way, then you need to put it on an angle (right side down) to reflect fewer games.

2 - your point seems to be yellow line (the 5 year rolling average) is good. Well if you extrapolate where that line it going to go (hint - look at the blue line in the past few years) - the rolling average is likely headed down...

/

On number 2, the yellow line is pretty much always characterized by spikes - rising and falling. There are very few years where things appeared to be stable (if you looked at a team like VT's 5 year under Beamer, it would be öööö near horizontal). Considering the five year is still higher than any coach not named O'Leary or Dodd, I think we are still doing pretty well for ourselves.

God I hate these threads. These are as bad as meltdown threads IMO.

"Hey guys, nothing to worry about, everything is great, we've always sucked!!!"

Also # of wins is meaningless due to the expanding schedule. Use win % and that graph will look a lot different. 7 wins ain't what it used to be, which is why there are a kajillion bowl games.

It's sad that being unhappy with where we are as a program and in this season is called out as somehow irrational. I am not a "FIRE CPJ" guy (not yet), but I'm not going to tell everyone that things are just swell.

Nobody is saying being unhappy with this season is irrational. I think this post is more a knee jerk reaction to the fire _____ contingent.

But I think it's somewhat foolish to think its the end of the world when we are 3-3. There are any number of games you could have swapped out to make our schedule backloaded (see 2011) and we'd be pumped with a 5-1 or 4-2 record going into a game tomorrow night against VT. I'm going to hope we continue to improve and wait until the end of the season to pass judgment on our team and our sophomore QB.

Nobody is saying being unhappy with this season is irrational. I think this post is more a knee jerk reaction to the fire _____ contingent.

But I think it's somewhat foolish to think its the end of the world when we are 3-3. There are any number of games you could have swapped out to make our schedule backloaded (see 2011) and we'd be pumped with a 5-1 or 4-2 record going into a game tomorrow night against VT. I'm going to hope we continue to improve and wait until the end of the season to pass judgment on our team and our sophomore QB.

I think that's the rub here though. I understand and I know 3-3 in this single season with a new QB is not the end of the world. But 3-3 right now, combined with 6-7, 8-5, and 7-7, is NOT a great place to be, and being constructively dissatisfied with our station is COMPLETELY RATIONAL. I would wager that CPJ would agree with me more than these all-is-well sunshiny day "we ain't in the 50's boys, Dodd's dead!" idiots.

I get it, the "fire CPJ yesterday" crowd are a bunch of morons spewing garbage. So is this thread, you're exactly right, it's knee-jerk.

Also, factoring in the results from FCS teams, whether wins, 4th down success, yards rushing, points, (or even fan interest) etc. in comparison or contrast to Coach Dodd's era leaves a question on validity. Sure, Coach Dodd regularly played lesser teams (traditionally Duke for Homecoming during the '60s), but they weren't record padding from a division with an unequal playing field.

I still grouse about charging normal ticket prices for these games. However, just when I get on a roll, an Appalachian State jumps up and wins one. Yea, Coach Curry lost to Furman (I didn't enjoy paying for that one either).

However, the stats from those games, including wins and wining percentages, tend to skew the statistics in a direction opposing common perception against FBS teams.

Have you ever heard of Cumberland?

I think most are dissatisfied with what seems to be a downward trend. Sure, 3-3 this year isn't the end of the world, but it's not good either. Our best win this year is over a bad UNC team. Our best win last year was over a decent UNC team. We need to start beating decent teams again. We need to at least win some games against good teams. We've failed miserably in that regard for the last 4 years.

Right now our team doesn't do anything particularly well when facing decent competition. 5+ false starts in multiple games is pathetic. It's the football equivalent of not being able to inbound the ball.

The last 5 years includes CPJ's best years, 08 and 09. My problem is less the overall record of CPJ, but the fact we were 19-5 in the first 24 games and 25-24 since. It is the trend. We have a losing record this decade against FBS competition with him.

The only thing that gives me hope with CPJ at this point is maybe we finally have a good DC, and maybe the extra recruiting positions will be a big help. It will take time to see with both.

The discouraging things are the general disorganization, lack of player development (Vad is in his third year), clear drop-off in overall talent, and recent failure (1-13 since 2010) to win against the big 4.

Can win with right players but failed initially at getting right players.

Rebuttal?

Fixed. The effects of poor recruiting aren't felt until a few years later. We just felt the effects of his bad recruiting when he started at GT.

I would counter by saying that our recruiting in 2011-2014 is undoubtedly better than 2008-2010. The transition class was awful and the next two had way too many non-factors. The senior classes over the past few years have not been good at all, and it showed.

With our new staff additions clearly improving our recruiting, I see a positive trend. Our current class is ranked in the top 30 (according to Rivals). I think this is a very good foundation if we can continue to recruit at this level and hopefully add a couple elite players to the mix as well.

We've lost to UGA four straight times. We lost to MTSU last year. The year before that, we were the #12 in the country, before barfing up 5 out of the last 7 games.

Jesus, think about that. Two years ago at this time we were the #12 team in country. Two years... I need a drink.

So, the point of this thread is that it's acceptable to lose to VT, Miami, and UGA every year going forward, and likely now Clemson, but because CPJ can beat Elon and Alabama A&M, all is happy in Jacket Land.

Just, by all means, don't schedule MTSU and BYU, and we'll be fine.

Got it.

Comparing the Dodd era is a bad idea. We were an SEC team then. Obviously, we'd roll these crappy ACC schools.

So, the point of this thread is that it's acceptable to lose to VT, Miami, and UGA every year going forward, and likely now Clemson, but because CPJ can beat Elon and Alabama A&M, all is happy in Jacket Land.

Just, by all means, don't schedule MTSU and BYU, and we'll be fine.

Got it.

No, the point is that we are really no better or worse than we have been historically. Sure there are ups and downs, and I'll bet all the Dodd lovers were pretty pissed toward the end of his era.

But as evidenced by past history, current performance is no indicator of what the future may hold.

Back