Paul Johnson as GT coach

Meh, I think it's easier today. Back then, you had to run the table and win votes from AP to even get a chance at being 1 of 2 teams with a shot at a title. It was more subjective than today.

Today, you need only be 1 of 4 teams picked for the CFP. And you don't have to run the table - just win your division and win your conf. championship.
The game was completely different also the dynamics. The players, where they come from, what they want out of football. Yes, I feel it was easier for Dodd and Heisman. How many from the 1990 team would be able to get in and stay at GT do we think?

In most ways, you are correct. Winning makes any system look beautiful. However, this system *in particular* is tough to watch when it doesnt work. Feels like the same handful of plays run over and over again. Other offenses feel like they at least have 30+ plays they might try in a game. I know this isn't true but when you watch a game as a fan it looks that way.

I disagree. I hate the read option offense most of the ncaa runs. When it isn't working, it is ghastly to watch. Lining up in the shotgun at the 2 and losing yards each play. Or bubble screens that everyone knows is coming resulting in a pick 6. Bad O is bad O.

The Army Navy game this year was terrible. Slick field killing the outside run game coupled with an inability to pass. Reminded me of our rain games this year.

I disagree. I hate the read option offense most of the ncaa runs. When it isn't working, it is ghastly to watch. Lining up in the shotgun at the 2 and losing yards each play. Or bubble screens that everyone knows is coming resulting in a pick 6. Bad O is bad O.

The Army Navy game this year was terrible. Slick field killing the outside run game coupled with an inability to pass. Reminded me of our rain games this year.
I thought both of those teams were triple option like us, not the read option standard college offense?
It looks like we can all agree on one thing: Bad offense is bad.

CPJ is the 2nd best coach in GT history. If you read that and find yourself trying to figure out where CPJ ranks against Heisman, Dodd, & Ross, then you’ve already decided he’s worth keeping.
You may be correct for the ten years he's been here. He has had some big years, and some big wins. But, as of today, he's pretty much Bud Carson.

I thought both of those teams were triple option like us, not the read option standard college offense?
It looks like we can all agree on one thing: Bad offense is bad.

Army Navy do run our O, and they looked bad. Both also ran a lot of pistol in that game and it looked bad. I don't know if I saw Navy run anything from under center, however. The only time Army moved the ball consistently was from under center, but they weren't running option, just zone blocking downhill fullback dives.

It was kind of a stream of consciousness post. Not implying Army Navy were running read option O's. On that I was picturing Tennessee's wretched offense for most of the year.

Bad O is bad.

Now our O can be boring when working. When Navy death marched ND in the second half last year, that was boring. It was like watching a boxer clutch thier way through the end of a match when they are ahead in points.

In most ways, you are correct. Winning makes any system look beautiful. However, this system *in particular* is tough to watch when it doesnt work. Feels like the same handful of plays run over and over again. Other offenses feel like they at least have 30+ plays they might try in a game. I know this isn't true but when you watch a game as a fan it looks that way.

The 4th qtr against the mutts & puke this year was painful. TQ Keeper after TQ Keeper after TQ Keeper just getting bitch-slapped over and over again.
Why not just take 3 knees instead? Either way, the other team knows you've quit.

The 4th qtr against the mutts & puke this year was painful. TQ Keeper after TQ Keeper after TQ Keeper just getting bitch-slapped over and over again.
Why not just take 3 knees instead? Either way, the other team knows you've quit.

Maybe CPJ was punishing TM.

yes exactly. TM keeper after keeper after keeper is awful. I dont know if it's by design or if TMdecides to keep? That's the puzzling part. When he finally started to pitch against UGA, it was as if he had predetermined to pitch and there was no TO read. Is this TM or the offense? I suspect it is TM.

yes exactly. TM keeper after keeper after keeper is awful. I dont know if it's by design or if TMdecides to keep? That's the puzzling part. When he finally started to pitch against UGA, it was as if he had predetermined to pitch and there was no TO read. Is this TM or the offense? I suspect it is TM.
Well, the assumption has to be if TM is the decision-maker, CPJ must agree with his decisions, because TaQuon is still the qb. It definitely did appear that we were resigned to the loss, and took the "I-got-nothing" approach to play calling. Losses are one thing, but the manner in which we have been losing has been disappointing, and irritating.

CPJ is the only coach that will allow us to keep the value of our degree and give us a reasonable shot at a top 10 finish each year. Alabama grads aren't taking your jobs..and if they are - suck less at what you do. the college landscape is way different than it was 30 years ago when we last won at natty and a ****load different than Heisman's day...you can use the argument that Cutcliffe or Shaw are making it work..but have they really? and I'm pretty sure the curriculum at both schools allows for cake courses. complain all you want..but i've found it a whole lot easier to accept reality.

Use more shotgun
More short passes
Use RPO
Use more formations (extra blocking back in short yardage)

Navy and Army are both more varied and less predictable than GT offense.

Vad Lee.

But yeah, CPJ has shown a willingness to change things up in the past. But ultimately, he's going to go with what he thinks the players are capable of doing that gives them the best chance to win. Obviously, yes, the kinds of players he gets is ultimately his responsibility too. The most valid criticism of CPJ, IMO, is the inability to either consistently get the O-linemen he needs to run his scheme, or to teach them how to block properly. QB play has been hit or miss, too.

I get that CPJ comes across as a stubborn guy, but I've never bought the idea that he's just going to tank games and seasons to prove a point, costing himself job security and potentially tens of thousands if not more in performance bonuses.

Last edited:
Maybe football as a whole has got more boring. I don’t watch near as much as I used to.

But when I do watch football, I prefer to watch GT, Army or Navy.

PJ has been around for a long time, and he’s done things Chan never did: take us to an Orange Bowl and have us sit out Bowl season.

Maybe he’s sick of us. It sure seems there are those of us that are sick of him. Sometimes people just need a change. I have a feeling we won’t like it once it happens

The option requires a certain amount of trust. A quarterback has to trust the fullback to be consistent firing off at the snap and hitting the correct hole. A quarterback has to trust that his pitch man is going to be in the right position, consistently, and be able to catch the pitch. But most importantly, a quarterback in an option offense has to trust his blockers to at least delay a rush long enough to make a read. Anything else, and a quarterback will hold on to the ball and turn it upfield. Once a 3-O becomes 1-D, then it’s easier to defend, usually.

Ken Wisenhunt for Head Coach.

He knows TECH, He knows how to win, He knows Todd Stansbury
Push for a curriculum that does not require Calculus

Vad Lee.

But yeah, CPJ has shown a willingness to change things up in the past. But ultimately, he's going to go with what he thinks the players are capable of doing that gives them the best chance to win. Obviously, yes, the kinds of players he gets is ultimately his responsibility too. The most valid criticism of CPJ, IMO, is the inability to either consistently get the O-linemen he needs to run his scheme, or to teach them how to block properly. QB play has been hit or miss, too.

I get that CPJ comes across as a stubborn guy, but I've never bought the idea that he's just going to tank games and seasons to prove a point, costing himself job security and potentially tens of thousands if not more in performance bonuses.
I think the real problem is when CPJ experiments/tinkers, he's outside of his element and just isn't very good at things like shotgun RPO, which gives the illusion to us that he tried this modern stuff but the players just weren't good at it.

Back