Paul Johnson as GT coach

The value of our degree wasn't cheapened by Stephon Marbury and the other hoopsters and won't be cheapened by championship football either. Nor is CPJ the only coach that can possibly win at Tech. Am so tired of this ridiculous belief.

And if we're being honest, the value of a U[sic]GA degree or even a UNC degree isn't affected by the crap that goes on with their "student" athletes.

That doesn't mean I'd want to do what they do, though, even if it meant we would win more.

And I realize no one is suggesting that we do what UNC did, but my point is that it's not just about the literal value of the degree.

Last edited:
CPJ is the 2nd best coach in GT history. If you read that and find yourself trying to figure out where CPJ ranks against Heisman, Dodd, & Ross, then you’ve already decided he’s worth keeping.

Why does Alexander always get forgotten? Dude won a national championship in 1928, and was the first coach ever to go to the big four bowls winning 3 of the 4. You can argue order of the 4 to win national championships, everybody else lines up after them.

Why does Alexander always get forgotten? Dude won a national championship in 1928, and was the first coach ever to go to the big four bowls winning 3 of the 4. You can argue order of the 4 to win national championships, everybody else lines up after them.
When they started the CFB HOF in 1951, Alexander was in the inaugural class. Heisman didn't get in for three years after that. That tells you what people in those years thought of Alexander as a coach.

His legacy is one of the many reasons I get annoyed when people talk about how much easier it was for GT to compete in the old days. As his HOF profile reads: "Alexander rarely enjoyed top-flight talent on his teams, but he drove his players to surpass their abilities. As Knute Rockne said, 'Bill gets more out of nothing than any coach in America.'" 'Talent' is not the answer to all problems.

That said, he did have a very uneven record. He was HC for 25 seasons. In 9 of those seasons, GT was the conf champ 8x (coming in 2d in the 9th season), and had a combined winning percentage of 65-13-1 (.829). In the other 16 seasons, GT had a combined winning percentage 0f 69-82-14 (.460).

Probably his best seasons were 1927 and 1928, when we were 18-1-1, with 11 shutouts. Notable games included (obviously) winning the Rose Bowl, but also shutting out previously-undefeated UGA at the end of 1927. The sole loss was to ND at South Bend, avenged the next year at Grant Field.

FWIW, Coach Alec was my dad's coach, and really helped my dad out when he needed it, off the field. Again, as his HOF profile states, "He was the clearing house for personal matters for every player, coach or employee of the athletic department."

Not quite ready to start comparing CPJ to Coach Dodd. You have to WATCH every game. Tell me where we have an established pattern of excellence and/or dominance and consistency and I'll rank CPJ higher than I do now. We have not had one great team in 20 years. You have to be a loser to think that's ok.

CPJ’s trend is headed down.

Bad season. Good season. Bad season... Makes it even tougher to bring in good recruiting classes if you suck every other year. Thus the bad seasons will only increase with frequency.

You can be good at both if you're a private school, and can decide free and clear of any sort of oversight other than the NCAA who you accept, what majors they take, and how hard they are. If you literally grant that oversight to your in state rival, and the in state rival is a bunch of (redacted), then you can start to see the differences between someplace like GT and someplace like Stanford.

Imagine Stanford.
Then remove all humanities programs.
Then make it public.
Then put all their curricula under the control of Cal Berkeley.
Then replace the student body and alumni and fan base of Cal Berkeley with the UGA students/alumni/fans.

Wrap your head around that.
agreed, you got it.

CPJ’s trend is headed down.

Bad season. Good season. Bad season... Makes it even tougher to bring in good recruiting classes if you suck every other year. Thus the bad seasons will only increase with frequency.
I don't think it's fair to say that yet. 2 of our best 4 seasons under CPJ have come since 2014, and our best was only 3 years ago. Recruiting has also been trending up for a few years now, and I think it will start to show as our more talented players become upperclassmen. We had FOUR 4* players last year, and we have two more committed already this year. That's six in two years - we only had a total of five 4* players over a six year period before that (2011-2016). The terrible recruiting classes of 2012 and 2013 resulted in some tough years recently. That will change as 2015, 2016, 2017 recruits mature.

Not quite ready to start comparing CPJ to Coach Dodd. You have to WATCH every game. Tell me where we have an established pattern of excellence and/or dominance and consistency and I'll rank CPJ higher than I do now. We have not had one great team in 20 years. You have to be a loser to think that's ok.
Nor will we have a great team in the next 20 years. Even this year, in the whole NCAA there is not one great, dominant team that is clearly better than any of the rest. But even Bobby Dodd was inconsistent. Georgia Tech is not a place that you can assemble a very good team and then recruit successfully to reload and maintain excellence year after year. The competition for athletes has increased from just the ACC and SEC neighbors, to USF, Central Florida, Memphis, Kennesaw, Southern, and a whole slew of competent wannabees. Accepting that we have challenges that call for a special kind of leadership for our program doesn't make you a loser.

All you shotgun advocates, prepare to have Ken Siguira burst your bubble with this article.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...opt-the-shotgun-again/qNysiwJmovLbFhxOPav8yN/

I copied some quotes below.
With the disappointment of Georgia Tech’s recently completed season, suggestions have returned on social media that coach Paul Johnson incorporate shotgun elements into his option-based spread offense. The success of former Johnson aides using the shotgun at Army (Jeff Monken) and Navy (Ken Niumatalolo) has only reinforced the notion that placing the quarterback five yards behind center, rather than under center, will improve the offense’s efficiency. (Kennesaw State, under the direction of former Tech assistant Brian Bohannon, plays from under center.)

However, it shouldn’t be a surprise if Johnson never uses the shotgun in any extensive manner. More accurately, if he uses it again. In 2013, after having spent the spring and preseason working on it, the Yellow Jackets occasionally ran plays out of the shotgun with quarterback Vad lee.

“It was a mistake,” Johnson said in an interview with the AJC last December.....“I don’t think you can do hodgepodge,” he said last year. “It’s just my opinion. You try to find something that you can do and get good at it and be better at it than (your opponent is at defending it).”......The season with the diamond “taught me if you do a lot of things, you ain’t worth an (expletive) at any of them,” Johnson said. “Which I’ve always known.”

That's all fine but when is he going to realize that our offensive line stinks and that it has pretty much stunk every year since he's been here. It doesn't matter if it's under center or shotgun, you are going to struggle in any alignment with our OL.
Pretty sure he's quite aware of the offensive odoriferous emanations of the o-line.

This quote is pretty dead-on. Thought it was kind of silly to say "introduce shotgun and RPO" in light of limited practice time.

As Braun considers it, if the scheme that Tech devotes most or all of its time to perfecting doesn’t work, then it doesn’t logically follow that another scheme that gets less attention would be any more effective.

“I’m pretty sure that’s not how football works,” Braun said.

I still think a big reason some GT fans like a shotgun-based option scheme is a shotgun scheme has more pure forward motion. It seems less muddled because, with a 2 yard gain, the ball actually goes forward 6 yards instead of going forward 3 yards.

The shotgun has some benefits and it's easier to do reads (apparently part of reason we used it for Vad). But I also cringe when these teams line up in shotgun for 3rd and 1.

Whether it's under center or shotgun, we executed the option really poorly this year. Most offensive success was from long PA throws or a long perimeter run.

This quote is pretty dead-on. Thought it was kind of silly to say "introduce shotgun and RPO" in light of limited practice time.

I still think a big reason some GT fans like a shotgun-based option scheme is a shotgun scheme has more pure forward motion. It seems less muddled because, with a 2 yard gain, the ball actually goes forward 6 yards instead of going forward 3 yards.

The shotgun has some benefits and it's easier to do reads (apparently part of reason we used it for Vad). But I also cringe when these teams line up in shotgun for 3rd and 1.

Whether it's under center or shotgun, we executed the option really poorly this year. Most offensive success was from long PA throws or a long perimeter run.

We left a crapton of parameter yards on the field this season.

A pitch, a pitch, my kingdom for a pitch! - CPJ

This is exceptionally frustrating to me.

This is like having Bruce Lee as a martial arts instructor but, since we suck at martial arts, he will switch to teaching us boxing.

We have a QB who has 3 years in the offense but can't make reads or see/hit wide open receivers. Then we have an über athlete who, inexplicably, cannot beat out the guy who can't make reads or find/hit wide open receivers.

At some point, I just quit trying to figure out what the problem is and start to notice how everything is starting to look like dirty bathwater.

I watched the highlight youtube someone has posted that shows our chunk plays and it was surprising in a way. TQ has some very nice passes early in the season and then again against VT. I don't know how you explain the spearchunking evolution later in the season and the drop in percentage completion which was rather obvious.

I watched the highlight youtube someone has posted that shows our chunk plays and it was surprising in a way. TQ has some very nice passes early in the season and then again against VT. I don't know how you explain the spearchunking evolution later in the season and the drop in percentage completion which was rather obvious.

In the first half of the season I was super excited because I thought we finally had a legitimate passing threat. I thought he was the best passing QB we'd had under CPJ. Then he was the worst one we'd ever had in the second half. Not sure what happened.

Back