Expansion

Notre Dame boosters would go apeshit if they joined any conference other than the Big Ten, and even then some would go apeshit. 0% chance they join the ACC as a football member.

If that’s the case, then GT’a only focus should be on its exit strategy and I see an equally if not more difficult path. IMHO Tech naturally belongs in the SEC but it seems this is likewise not a realistic option. Guess it’s B10 or bust.

Yay….can’t wait for more yankee football.

ND isn't joining a sinking ship. I cannot fathom why or how ND would join the ACC unless they were offered a big revenue deal (the unequal kind that isn't good for the rest of the conference).

I think there is a possibility that ND could be attracted by the perceived weakness of the ACC. Being in the ACC could give ND a chance to get in the playoffs even when they had a down year for them. Plus, ND joining the ACC could bring in the possibility of NBC money to the ACC and increased money from ESPN. ND would instantly be in a power conference in which ND would be by far the most influential team within the league. That wouldn't happen if ND joined the SEC or the Big 10. And if ND joined the ACC, the ACC would be a stable conference. Plus, being in the ACC would be compatible with ND's academic priorities. I think if the ACC were smart, it would tell ND they could pick another 1 or 3 teams that are historic ND rivals to enter the ACC with them. The ACC with ND included could offer something to all parties. I don't think it will happen, but it does have some arguments in its favor.

I think there is a possibility that ND could be attracted by the perceived weakness of the ACC. Being in the ACC could give ND a chance to get in the playoffs even when they had a down year for them. Plus, ND joining the ACC could bring in the possibility of NBC money to the ACC and increased money from ESPN. ND would instantly be in a power conference in which ND would be by far the most influential team within the league. That wouldn't happen if ND joined the SEC or the Big 10. And if ND joined the ACC, the ACC would be a stable conference. Plus, being in the ACC would be compatible with ND's academic priorities. I think if the ACC were smart, it would tell ND they could pick another 1 or 3 teams that are historic ND rivals to enter the ACC with them. The ACC with ND included could offer something to all parties. I don't think it will happen, but it does have some arguments in its favor.

According to these lists of ND rivals, Stanford would appeal to ND as the 16th team:

Get an all biz-class 767 and 757 to fly teams to/from San Fran, and its a done deal.

No. There no metric in which uga or UCF is more selective then GT. Full stop. It’s laughable to suggest either.
You could define "selective" just by how many people apply and don't get in. u[sic]ga and UCF probably get double the amount of applicants than Tech does.

Why would ND share NBC money with anyone? NBC isn't paying more $$$ to them if they are in the ACC as ND already has a national schedule of sorts. The Big10 is also compatible with ND academics. So, the appeal for ND to join the ACC is that it would bring stability?

The NBC money would need to decrease/go away or rules around the college playoffs changing to force ND into a conference. Otherwise, there aren't reasons (i.e. $$$$$$$$) to do so. Banking on the ACC's incompetent leadership to be proactive isn't a good bet.

If that’s the case, then GT’a only focus should be on its exit strategy and I see an equally if not more difficult path. IMHO Tech naturally belongs in the SEC but it seems this is likewise not a realistic option. Guess it’s B10 or bust.

Yay….can’t wait for more yankee football.

There is another way.

Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, NC, NCSt, VT, UVa, and Pitt could swing 90% of the current ACC contract. Split 9 ways it is a 40% increase in revenue.

I would still make an aggressive run at it and be open minded to different revenue sharing models. the ACC is currently third in conference revenue and would not be a sinking ship with ND.

Seriously, what are the other options? WVU, SMU, Tulane, etc. do not move the needle enough to close the revenue gap.
M

There isn't many other options for expansion that looks attractive (read: moves the all important needle for TV). I agree that you make an aggressive pitch, but I simply don't see the ACC being proactive--I expect some of the conference members to be picked off.

There is another way.

Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, NC, NCSt, VT, UVa, and Pitt could swing 90% of the current ACC contract. Split 9 ways it is a 40% increase in revenue.

I’ve said this before, but in addition to the smaller conference, I would book and sell neutral site game packages with the B12, PAC, and ND. ND would be free of the 5 acc games, so they may be interested. There are different ways to split things up, but I would have those neutral site game revenue go only to the schools in their package. Lets say we break the 9 teams into three groups. Miami, FSU, GT get to sell one package. They split up the money from whoever buys the package plus whatever the host city wants to kick in.

You could package FSU, Miami, and Clem. They would probably command more money than any other group of 3. It would be a way of doing unequal revenue sharing without explicitly splitting up conference money unequally.

Apparently WVU is among the teams discussed as possible ACC expansion candidates.

IMG_3929.jpeg

There is another way.

This has always been the answer. Drop Wake, Duke in football and they can share in basketball returns. Of course Tech is teetering on the edge of the football outcasts of late.

This has always been the answer. Drop Wake, Duke in football and they can share in basketball returns. Of course Tech is teetering on the edge of the football outcasts of late.

Even when terrible, our national perception isn’t as a horrible team. Of the group I listed, we are on par nationally with NCSt and Pitt, even though we have sucked ass for 3 years.

UL kinds of gets screwed in this scenario, but they have always been a clunky fit for the ACC.

WVU would probably draw a few more dollars than Pitt, but wouldn’t be a good cultural fit.

Georgia Tech applicants: 50,601. Rejected 42,505.

“u”ga applicants: 43,600. Rejected 22,886

Ucf applicants: 45,554. Rejected 25,510
Then you're right, we are more selective when you compare admissions against applicants.

Georgia Tech applicants: 50,601. Rejected 42,505.

“u”ga applicants: 43,600. Rejected 22,886

Ucf applicants: 45,554. Rejected 25,510

I would be interested to see the comparison between GT’s rejected 42k and the 25k accepted at UCF.

At my kids high school, which is top 5 in the state, out of the top 20 students (out of 500), four are going to Tech. This is an engineering heavy area. That topped in-state and completely free Auburn (0). Only three schools pulled multiple kids that I know. Tech (4), UAB (3), and MIT (2). UAB is where most of the kids who want to be doctors went.

I would be interested to see the comparison between GT’s rejected 42k and the 25k accepted at UCF.

At my kids high school, which is top 5 in the state, out of the top 20 students (out of 500), four are going to Tech. This is an engineering heavy area. That topped in-state and completely free Auburn (0). Only three schools pulled multiple kids that I know. Tech (4), UAB (3), and MIT (2). UAB is where most of the kids who want to be doctors went.

Edit: Auburn (1)

1250 SAT gets you into UCF.... a 1450 got a daughter put on the deferred weight list to get into Tech. Just saying. So she is going G.St. for a year and reapplying after a year. But easily got into UCF is she wanted. She actually was accepted at all the major Florida schools. But Ugag and GT was both deferred. So guessing her lack of many activities hurt her within our flagship schools even with terrific academics.
Edit: and that is based on this years upcoming Freshmen class...my youngest daughter went through this process this past year. So UCF is NOT at GT's level on entrance requirements. Anyone that says that is ignorant of the facts.
If she picked up your disdain of written communication, it very well could've been her essay that let her down on the admissions process.

Back