Calvin Johnson (Per info. on the Hive)

My sister went to UT and UGA and I thought the quality and quantity of the 'scenery' was more impressive in Knoxville.

I predict your cousin will reconsider when his daughters are 15-17. That kind of access to underage drinking and college boys will make a dad old fast.
smile.gif

Originally posted by sfalco:
Cheerleaders are overrated.
FWIW, the best Girls at UGA are NOT cheerleaders. link
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">All the UGAg cheerleaders I have seen on TV are flat chested....

most cheerleaders are...sad state of cheerleading affairs.
frown.gif

BOR...My brother in-law(who happens to be a 3rd day Band Member) and I get a kick out of YOU...So that makes Athens another Woodstock...HUH....

You know the problem here is ....You dont like it when somebody states any opinion here that suggests Athens is Not as Nice as other college Towns...Again ,it is just my opinion and yes it IS MY OPINION..But on the other hand you call Athens a Hotbed of artistic culture and claim that is why it is SO much better than all the other small college towns and that you say is a fact...not just your opinion...Thats a CROCK...That is solely YOUR opinion....and that is ALL...To say otherwise is a CROCK...Just as you say the sec is the premier conference in college football...Again that is YOUR opinion...As it is MINE and others that the NEW ACC is the best collection of teams....

Just as Jacketsrule,Gtcrew,I and others have different feelings than you obviuosly do..when it comes down to it...it is OUR opinion and you have YOURS....Ive seen YOU raz GT fans that knock uga or offer opinions different from yours as to the comparisons of ACC vs.sec and GT vs.ugag...And that is fine...But dont give me that CROCK that yours is fact and mine or our views are just opinions....

College Station doesn't have much aside from the Texas A&M campus, and not a great deal of fun stuff. Austin, on the other hand... 6th Street is a fun fun place. Texas A&M is kinda an odd place anyway.
smile.gif

This has gotten way off topic, but yeah... College Station isn't the college town to be in in Texas.

BOR...I will say one more thing...I think your a great GT Fan...We just disagree as to Athens,Uga, and the sec...Ive seen many of your Pro-sec,Uga, and in this case Athens posts...So i respect your opinion...But again it is your opinion and mine is different...I spent time in Athens in the late 70's as a teenager sitting on the Tracks (You may not remember those tracks..Used to be they let people gather on the tracks and party and watch the game..Before they enclosed the Stadium.) And yeah we chased girls up in Athens back then...I can understand your post last night about this...I can relate...But I just happen to agree TOTALLY with Jacketsrule about Athens and ugag in general..I just have always thought Some GT fans have given ugag way TOO much credit and under estimate the GREAT SELL we have at GT...Jacketsrule made a GREAT post (imho..Again that is MY opinion) on what WE need to concentrate on in selling GT to recruits and we REALLY do have NO disadvantages to ugag outside some areas of this state...Or at the very least not AS many as some believe...Now you hit on a GREAT point about Oleary...He learned to sell GT to recruits in this state and probably used some of the main points Jacketsrule pointed out very well....Keep in mind though ( Im sure you are aware of)it took him 7 to 8 years to REALLY get rolling as far as selling GT to and getting good recruits from this state...He came as an asst.in what 1987 (although he left briefly for 2.5 years)and stayed thru 2001...It took him all that time to establish recruiting ties and relationships in this state and once he did he used as you said GT's positives as an advantage...Any whooo im just saying i guess that some of us feel some GT fans give uga TOO much credit...that's all...As to Athens i still have an opinion as Jacketsrule as it is NO different than a lot of other college towns and is stuck up in the boonies...That drive along 85 or Stone Mtn Freeway is the worst traffic in the whole state...Horrible, meaning you really are 2.5 hrs from Hotlanta most of the time....Again just an opinion..Sorry if i ragged you too much on your statement....I think There really ARE 2 types of GT fans...Those that pull for GT and ANYONE playing ugag and those that pull for GT and ugag only if their not playing GT....I ADMIT as you pegged me Im in the 1st category....

Actually BW there is another kind of GT fan. Those who pull for GT and don't give a crap about what ugag is doing. I don't care if they win or lose, I try to ignore them as much as possible.

And on the Athens front, it was always a pretty cool place when I visited. The scenary was pretty good and I can definitely see why an 18 year old might prefer it to Tech. But that's why we have coaches to sell the benefits of a Tech degree and the fun of living in Atlanta.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
BOR...My brother in-law(who happens to be a 3rd day Band Member) and I get a kick out of YOU...So that makes Athens another Woodstock...HUH....

You know the problem here is ....You dont like it when somebody states any opinion here that suggests Athens is Not as Nice as other college Towns...Again ,it is just my opinion and yes it IS MY OPINION..But on the other hand you call Athens a Hotbed of artistic culture and claim that is why it is SO much better than all the other small college towns and that you say is a fact...not just your opinion...Thats a CROCK...That is solely YOUR opinion....and that is ALL...To say otherwise is a CROCK...Just as you say the sec is the premier conference in college football...Again that is YOUR opinion...As it is MINE and others that the NEW ACC is the best collection of teams....

Just as Jacketsrule,Gtcrew,I and others have different feelings than you obviuosly do..when it comes down to it...it is OUR opinion and you have YOURS....Ive seen YOU raz GT fans that knock uga or offer opinions different from yours as to the comparisons of ACC vs.sec and GT vs.ugag...And that is fine...But dont give me that CROCK that yours is fact and mine or our views are just opinions....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Again, you need to actually take time to READ what I have stated on these boards. Maybe if your comprehension skills were equal to your ability to blather on incesssantly, we might not be arguing at all.

I called the SEC a "premiere conference", I NEVER said it was in any way better than the New ACC. Not once did I even compare the two. I personally think that the New ACC has a better collection of teams, HOWEVER, the SEC has the locality and the fan base which makes it slightly more marketable conference in the South East with the exception of FLorida and the Carolinas. But again, that's MY OPINION. Nationally, that's another ball game. I think the new ACC is 20 times better. However, up until this post, not once was it my opinion that the SEC is THE ONLY premiere conference. It is one of them. The way you were talking about the SEC would make one believe that you wanted to give it no credit and that games against Auburn, Tennessee, etc. are hardly marketable. That is just horse ****.

As to Athens, GA being a hotbed of artistic culture... You are right, I did give you my opinion, and I backed it up with facts. 1.) That it has one of the best music scenes in the world (not just the South). 2.) It is home to REM, the B-52's, Widespread Panic only to name a few. 3.) It has a local university that has one of the best public school art programs in the country.

Again, these are all facts that I offered to give you my reasons why Athens is such a "Hotbed of culture". You on the other hand have offered no facts to dispute this. You have merely rendered a hollow opinion on the subject and then have the nerve to infer that I have no clue as to what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, NOT ONCE did I compare UGA to GT. You again infer that I somehow did. that I somehow think UGA is better than GT. Again, I never said that nor do I even think that. I was merely stating all the positives in a school like UGA. I don't think I ever said UGA is better than GT in any area. I was merely defending UGA on its own merits. I was not comparing the two schools or the two places. Its very similar to what I said in an earlier post in this very same thread about being proud of GT for its own merits and not try to make us look better by dogging another school. THAT only makes you look pathetic to the outside world AND TO RECRUITS which you are so worried about reading this board.

So again, if you want to talk about the reasons WHY GT is such an awesome place to be. You DON'T need to sit here and rag on Athens, GA and UGA to accomplish that. It makes you look like an idiot for doing so and it doesn't really speak well of us in the process. Be proud of GT and the reasons why GT is such a great school, but don't bash UGA in doing so.

I think this point is very lost on you and you have YET to grasp it.

I'll give you an example. When I went through fraternity rush in college, I had guys at one fraternity telling me how bad another fraternity sucked. This was almost ALWAYS a huge turn-off to me and typically I walked right out the door shortly thereafter. Why did these guys feel it neccesary to try and make them look better by dogging the competition? It only made them look insecure and unsure of themselves. The fraternities that didn't have any bad things to say or like the fraternity I joined just didn't even offer an opinion on it, were always the premiere fraternities on campus. It made them look confident and secure about who they were and what they were about. People are going to like Tech and choose TECH because of what TECH stands for and not what UGA doesn't stand for.

Does this make ANY sense to you whatsoever? So again, I am defending Athens, and UGA because unlike you, I have enough sense to realize their strong points. I judge them based on their own merits. In the end, I choose Tech for its strong points. And to this day, it is MY OPINION that Tech is a much better school in every way. Do I need to tell someone UGA sucks and give unsubstantiated opinions to make them see why Tech is great. No I don't, and neither should any of us.

You think Athens sucks... that's great, you made your opinion known. Other than the fact that our arch-rival lives in Athens, the city itself has tons of positives. However, your opinion is highly biased, unsubstantiated, and again, only makes us look pathetic and whiny. So I ask you please to just be quiet.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Actually BW there is another kind of GT fan. Those who pull for GT and don't give a crap about what ugag is doing. I don't care if they win or lose, I try to ignore them as much as possible.

And on the Athens front, it was always a pretty cool place when I visited. The scenary was pretty good and I can definitely see why an 18 year old might prefer it to Tech. But that's why we have coaches to sell the benefits of a Tech degree and the fun of living in Atlanta.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Haaaa... it took you 5 lines and 6 sentences to say what it took me 20 minutes and 7 paragraphs to say. In the future, I'll just quote you and say "Ditto". Wish I had read the whole board before responding.

The one thing I have noticed about the mongrel fans here is that they post many word of which few if any are relevant to anything except the dictionary. Reminds me of an old saying

"if you can't dazzle em with brilliance then baffle them with Bull Shiite"

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Again, you need to actually take time to READ what I have stated on these boards. Maybe if your comprehension skills were equal to your ability to blather on incesssantly, we might not be arguing at all.

I called the SEC a "premiere conference", I NEVER said it was in any way better than the New ACC. Not once did I even compare the two. I personally think that the New ACC has a better collection of teams, HOWEVER, the SEC has the locality and the fan base which makes it slightly more marketable conference in the South East with the exception of FLorida and the Carolinas. But again, that's MY OPINION. Nationally, that's another ball game. I think the new ACC is 20 times better. However, up until this post, not once was it my opinion that the SEC is THE ONLY premiere conference. It is one of them. The way you were talking about the SEC would make one believe that you wanted to give it no credit and that games against Auburn, Tennessee, etc. are hardly marketable. That is just horse ****.

As to Athens, GA being a hotbed of artistic culture... You are right, I did give you my opinion, and I backed it up with facts. 1.) That it has one of the best music scenes in the world (not just the South). 2.) It is home to REM, the B-52's, Widespread Panic only to name a few. 3.) It has a local university that has one of the best public school art programs in the country.

Again, these are all facts that I offered to give you my reasons why Athens is such a "Hotbed of culture". You on the other hand have offered no facts to dispute this. You have merely rendered a hollow opinion on the subject and then have the nerve to infer that I have no clue as to what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, NOT ONCE did I compare UGA to GT. You again infer that I somehow did. that I somehow think UGA is better than GT. Again, I never said that nor do I even think that. I was merely stating all the positives in a school like UGA. I don't think I ever said UGA is better than GT in any area. I was merely defending UGA on its own merits. I was not comparing the two schools or the two places. Its very similar to what I said in an earlier post in this very same thread about being proud of GT for its own merits and not try to make us look better by dogging another school. THAT only makes you look pathetic to the outside world AND TO RECRUITS which you are so worried about reading this board.

So again, if you want to talk about the reasons WHY GT is such an awesome place to be. You DON'T need to sit here and rag on Athens, GA and UGA to accomplish that. It makes you look like an idiot for doing so and it doesn't really speak well of us in the process. Be proud of GT and the reasons why GT is such a great school, but don't bash UGA in doing so.

I think this point is very lost on you and you have YET to grasp it.

I'll give you an example. When I went through fraternity rush in college, I had guys at one fraternity telling me how bad another fraternity sucked. This was almost ALWAYS a huge turn-off to me and typically I walked right out the door shortly thereafter. Why did these guys feel it neccesary to try and make them look better by dogging the competition? It only made them look insecure and unsure of themselves. The fraternities that didn't have any bad things to say or like the fraternity I joined just didn't even offer an opinion on it, were always the premiere fraternities on campus. It made them look confident and secure about who they were and what they were about. People are going to like Tech and choose TECH because of what TECH stands for and not what UGA doesn't stand for.

Does this make ANY sense to you whatsoever? So again, I am defending Athens, and UGA because unlike you, I have enough sense to realize their strong points. I judge them based on their own merits. In the end, I choose Tech for its strong points. And to this day, it is MY OPINION that Tech is a much better school in every way. Do I need to tell someone UGA sucks and give unsubstantiated opinions to make them see why Tech is great. No I don't, and neither should any of us.

You think Athens sucks... that's great, you made your opinion known. Other than the fact that our arch-rival lives in Athens, the city itself has tons of positives. However, your opinion is highly biased, unsubstantiated, and again, only makes us look pathetic and whiny. So I ask you please to just be quiet.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BOR - I can't believe you haven't learned by now. If you do not agree with bw, you must be a dawg fan. If you have anything positive to say about Athens or UGA, you are a dawg fan. If you do not ramble on and on about the ACC being better than the SEC, then you are a dawg fan.

I can't believe you would even dare to suggest that Athens is a great college town. Even though Athens has been rated the #1 college town in America by respectable sources, you are a dawg fan if you do not believe that Athens is anything more than a mediocre college town.

BOR, please go back to hanging out with MsTA and beeware. You clearly love the Georgia Bulldogs. I'd be surprised if you even went to Tech. In the world according to Black Watch, I don't go there either. BW, with your permission, I would still like to cheer for tech in the Humanitarian Bowl.

Thanks.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
Haaaa... it took you 5 lines and 6 sentences to say what it took me 20 minutes and 7 paragraphs to say. In the future, I'll just quote you and say "Ditto". Wish I had read the whole board before responding.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ditto ncjacket and BarrelORum.
smile.gif

What I can't figure out is why you people want to take shots at Black Watch and other supportive
Tech fans here. Do you just do it because you enjoy seeing them get all worked up? If so, do you think it makes this board a better place - or do you think maybe you just make all Tech fans look bad? Do you think your sniping could possibly help Tech or make this board any more enjoyable? Can't you think of more constructive ways to apply your energies? Are there healthier, more functional ways for you to get attention?

I don't know Black Watch from Adam; but I exchanged a message with him. He sure sounds to me like a devoted Tech fan and a nice family guy. More than that, he is one of the few reasons that I came back to this board. I had been reading only the Hive for a long time -because I can get news there and hear interesting and worthwhile perspectives amid the garbage.

The so-called "positive posters" on the Hive generally say things that are similar to hundreds of fans I know: people I sit near at games, see every week at Lunch Bunch or call in shows, meet at Tech academic and athletic board meetings, visit with at club meetings, speak with at my and other fraternity houses before and after games, and interact with personally and professionally on a regular basis.

Fans I know (and I know a huge number of them) don't enjoy ragging on Tech, our coaches, other Tech fans, etc. If they have a negative thought about a player, fan, or coach, they may express it once or twice in a calm, rational manner in a conversation with other Tech friends - then let it go (I do the same thing myself). None of these people would choose to air out their garbage on the internet. Once again, virtually every one I know is thrilled with Coach Gailey and Coach Hewitt, by the way.

I won't use this thread at this time to speak much of the negative posters. I will say that some of my friends sit near a set of negative Tech fans in the upper West and another of my friends says there are a few loud ones in the lower East stands, so I know they exist. I also heard that one of the anti-Gailey crowd showed up to hear Dave Braine speak at Lunch Bunch one time. I once spoke with an anti-Hewitt guy at length last season. I do know that you particularly notice the negative people much more than the thousands that are supportive. Particularly, the detractors love to use the internet and express any agenda they have ceaselessly. I am grateful for Black Watch and others that are willing to expose those people.

Many of my friends lurk the Hive; but won't even look at this board because of the sad cases that had taken over here. I don't need to mention their names because it is obvious who they are. Thanks to Black Watch, the moderators, and a few other constructive fonts, I now at least check this board from time to time. I know of a couple of others (one a former football player and another with a lot of influence as a huge contributor) that just this week peaked back in to Stingtalk on my recommendation. Perhaps a few of them may start posting again.

As far as I can tell, this is still a Tech board. I don't see anything wrong with having a thread every now and again on this supposedly Tech board that pokes fun at the pups, tiggers, or F$U; but perhaps the only thing I will agree with Barrel on is that we do not need to put them down to make ourselves look good. For my part, I do like having Dawgies and others like SFalco on here. As far as I can tell, SFalco and others were perfectly within their right to defend Athens on this thread. He even did a decent job given the material and lack of support he had to work with.

Just for fun, I will point out something: saying that Athens stands out as a college town because REM and the B52s came out of there in the 80s and they have a great art school only serves to make my point that there really is nothing special about Athens. I love both bands- and I have seen Michael Stipe in Athens a few times, myself. However, at best, in this context that is a weak, backhanded compliment to that town. Was that the intent?

I realize that people are at least 20 times more likely to express a negative opinion on the internet than a positive one. I also realize that the negative, abrasive, and empassioned ones are going to be noticed many times more than the reasonable and constructive ones.

At any rate, what I am saying is that all this whining, carping, personal shots at people trying to defend Tech on a TECH board, ceaseless pleas for attention, and otherwise incessant pettiness is not at all representative of the overwhelming majority of Tech fans. You don't realize it; but you only serve to diminish yourself, this board, and Tech fans in general to outside visitors and fans.

Maybe some of you don't want people like me to read this board: if that is the case, then perhaps you are doing the right thing. I will say that if this board was only made up of sniping, negative, and abrasive fonts, you might lose interest in it yourselves.

I also hope you are proud of yourself for taking shots at an obvious true Tech fan that is trying to defend this board against the few that spoil it (and doing a pretty decent job). Perhaps while you are at it, you can take shots at me, too. I probably will not respond. I will try to read them when I get a chance; and you can rest assured that I will only find humor in your efforts if they remain as pitiful as your previous attempts.

Just my humble two cents' worth.

GO JACKETS!!!

Jacketsrule, you missed the point.

I'm merely arguing and have been arguing that GT merits should stand alone and don't/won't be elevated by busting on our counterparts in Athens. However, onto another point. As much as I appreciate BlackWatch's dedication and loyalty to Tech, this board is great because it allows ALL opinions unlike the Hive. Both positive posts and negative posts are made. The positive posters typically rail on the negative posters for providing no substance, acting factual, and pushing an agenda. Well if you look at a lot of BW's post the same applies.

Also, back to the original debate on Athens, I gave facts while presenting an opinion. I have not heard one bit of factual evidence in supporting a dissenting opinion, other than stating they disagree. This just sounds pathetic and whiny. We don't need to rail on Athens and UGA to make us look good. We already look good.

I guess I'll chime in here...

I've spent quite a bit of time in and around
Athens. Its a charming little town, but that
is about it. Its not the end all, be all of
anything.

Its a college town. That's it. Its like 100
other college towns out there.

The co-eds are nice, but they don't hold much of
a candle to the ones in Tallahassee. I dated a
UGA girl and married an FSU girl. I know what I
am talking about there.
wink.gif

The UGA worship coming from some of the Tech fans
here provides insight into the inferiority complex
that some people carry and battle daily.

Its okay to hate UGA, but don't be jealous of them...

Barrel, I agree strongly with you that we don't have to put them down to feel good about ourselves. I heard what you said about the fraternity thing - and I believe you could not be more correct in that analogy. On the other hand, I used to occasionally enjoy poking fun at some of the other fraternities once I had chosen one myself. A few times it may have resulted in fights; but generally it was fun and kindspirited. In any case, I did it for humor and mostly meant what I said.

I know a few Tech fans on these message boards seem to obsess about the pups; but I am not one of them. Maybe once every year or two (typically around our football and basketball games), I take the opportunity to poke fun at them. I guess I do the same for some other schools like Clemson and F$U. IMHO, Georgia deserves abuse most of all. I think 4.16, Jan Kemp, Dr. Adams, and a thousand other things demonstrate that they represent what is wrong with college sports - and I look down on them for it. I guess you and I will just have to disagree on this.

If you don't like me poking fun at the pups, F$U, Clem or others occasionally on a Tech board, then I am glad for you. I also want you to know (whether you may care or not) that I didn't have any problem with you disagreeing with any of my points in this thread. Good for you and SFalco. This thread was mostly a good subject-oriented thread by Stingtalk standards for a time until it finally degenerated into the same old name-calling and personal stuff.

Also, I have to admit that I have a reason in sometimes responding directly to you. I think Tech needs more fans like you. I don't agree with you very often and even you have to admit that you are unnecessarily caustic in most of your posts. I often don't even read what you have to say. Still, I wish Tech had more fans with your passion. If you didn't seem to care so much about Tech, I wouldn't respond here or elsewhere.

My humble request, from one Tech fan to another, is simply that you please consider re-directing some of that passion sometimes. I know I have become more restrained and focused in recent years. It is possible that you may, as well. If you are ever in Atlanta on a Monday and want to discuss it in person over a beer, come by Lunch Bunch. I am usually there and most of the regulars know who I am.

Jacketsrule...Ive been gone all day today and I DO appreciate your defending me while i was gone...
The fact is, I like you have decided to just ignore the 2 or 3 that just made cheap shots at me and have just resigned to the fact that they are young enough to me my children and realize i was some what of a smarta--- When i was their age....

I like you, have seen the continually praise or at the very least giving uga TOO much credit from posters like these 2 or 3 here...Again, you and i are businessmen and involved in sales and while giving the competition respect NEVER giving them more credit than deserved...

Also i appreciate Fans like you...(I meet and see a lot of them) that try and keep upbeat about GT in a public forum and keep any concerns private and between the GT FAMILY away from the rest of the world and competitors....I guess a lot of that comes from maturity and age....

I like you as of today have become resigned to just quit responding to the personal attacks and let these few keep up their little game...What does it accomplish....Ive found that most people that post and attack someone personally are really Cowards, that would never see you face to face and confront you...

Anyway, MANY of us appreciate you and want you to continue to post often and i WILL also and we will just not respond to the attackers...With other attacks and see who the bigger person is.....As always we will continue to post and correct with TRUTH those that attack Matech and Defend those in Place at Matech when atacked without facts...

This just seems appropriate for this thread..............

After former Georgia coach/AD Vince Dooley passes away and enters the Pearly Gates, God takes him on a tour. He shows Vince a little 2-bedroom house with a faded University of Georgia
banner hanging from the front porch. "This is your home, Coach. Most people don't get their own house up here," God explains.

Vince looks at the house, then turns around and looks at the one sitting on the top of the hill. It's a huge 2-story mansion with white marble columns and little patios under all of the
windows. Georgia Tech flags line both sides of the sidewalk with a huge white and gold Georgia Tech banner hanging between the marble
columns.

"Thanks for the home, God, but let me ask you a
question. How come I get this little 2-bedroom house with a faded University of Georgia banner, and Bobby Dodd gets a mansion with new Georgia Tech banners and flags flying all over the
place, Why is that?"

God looks at him seriously for a moment and then
replies, "That's not Dodd's house, that's mine."

Back