Calvin Johnson (Per info. on the Hive)

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
Loved his visit this past weekend to GT and met with Reggie Ball and said it would be nice to play with the same QB for 3 years and that would factor into his decision he also said he met with Proffessors and liked what he saw...

He said he will visit Uga on 1-9-04 and will announce his decision after that visit....

B.W., if big brother Cal J. comes on board, I truly think this will take us over the top. If not, we will still look mighty spiffy on signing day anyhow. I say humbly, "Come on and join with us Mr. Cal and help us be the power of the greatest, most powerful conference in the U.S./ You can make a difference here on us and this great institution will make a life long impact and impression on you, the rest of your life.

Anybody up for a roadtrip on 1/9? We need to remind him how receivers are treated that drop a ball every now and then at UGAg.

Jacketsrule had a couple of GREAT posts over on the hive in regards to some definite ADVANTAGES GT has over Ugag in what we have to sell to recruits as to GT...

Jacketsrule...If you read this please compose a similiar post here...It was in response to someone over there saying it was great we beat Uga out on David Brown....It was an outstanding post with some great truths.....

Hey BlackWatch,

Thank you for your kind sentiment. I also appreciate you keeping up the good fight on this board. I made my posts on the Hive because a Tech fan had asserted in one thread that it was significant to beat Georgia for a recruit. Basically, others corrected him that the big deal was beating Alabama and Notre Dame for a DT from Alabama. My whole point was that it doesn't mean much at all to beat Georgia for a recruit anywhere other than in certain parts of this state and in some of their fans' so-called minds.

I am hesitant to post my comments on this board because a few sketchy fonts will find some way to turn this into a discussion of how bad they believe Coach Gailey is or some other such nonsense. They will only serve to demonstrate their own mental weakness or clear subversive agenda; but it will still make it annoying to find reasonable and relevant posts that quickly get pushed down this board as the thread inevitably degenerates into personal sniping.

However, for you, BlackWatch, I will cut and paste some of my comments with a few alterations due to venue and context. However, I hope you will forgive me if I don't respond to all of the baseless, ludicrous, assinine things that these few people spew out - over and over and over - in this thread as if they deserve credible consideration on par with the logical and well founded points that refute their case. I may read a few of their responses for a laugh; but I refuse to get drawn into wasting my time sniping with the intellectual equivalent of a twelve year old - or with someone that hates Coach Gailey for whatever sad personal reasons - in a public forum that utterly fails to represent most Tech fans. I am only posting this here because I appreciate your dogged efforts to keep up the fight, BlackWatch. Do with it as you choose.

This text is from multiple posts:

BEGIN QUOTES
"

Except for certain geographic areas within this state, beating Georgia for a recruit is not a big deal.

There are places in South Georgia and around the state where the pups are respected. Anywhere else you go, they might as well be Arkansas, Oklahoma State or Ole Miss for most recruits. Outside this state, they don't have a noteworthy city, attractive academics, memorable tradition, special facilities or programs, or anything else that stands out.

On the other hand, going into the state of Alabama and winning a battle against the Tide and Notre Dame is a big deal.

I also respectfully disagree with you about Ty Willingham [responding to font who suggested that he was not a good coach]. I think that given time he will probably right the ship at Notre Dame. I hate the Irish; but in college football, everyone has bad years. Ask Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida State, or Miami. Willingham generally gets a lot from his players. The big question is how long it will take and whether Willingham will get that much time.

____

Georgia has some tradition. So do a lot of other schools. They have had two Heisman winners and a national championship. I could go on; but that is not my point. There are a bucket of schools that can trot out various facts about how they did this or that. Many schools have more national championships (I will take our four any day over their one).

I WILL take this occasion to point out that one player (Hershel Walker) is the difference between Georgia's tradition over their entire history being in the top 15-20 (which it probably is - comparable to Tech) vs. being arguably in the top 30.

What is their great tradition over the lifetime of most recruits? An SEC championship last year. So what? Northwestern won the Big 10. Georgia has also had handful of top ten rankings and a huge number of incredibly highly rated recruiting classes. I can't think of much else. That certainly doesn't separate them from a lot of other schools. They have won more consistently over the last twenty years than us and some others; but they also have had less accomplishment than us and many others over the same period.

I don't see their tradition being recognized by most recruits as any better than, say, Arkansas, Michigan State, or Oklahoma State by many people (if any) outside of this state.

When recruits go into Georgia's facilities and look at tradition, they see a lot of Hershel Walker's accomplishments, his team's championship, and a few other things. When they go in our locker room, they see a more recent championship that they may actually remember, names like Heisman, Ross and Joe Hamilton that they are familiar with, and more recent tradition to go with the ancient stuff.

As far as their facilities go, they still have (I think) what is listed as one of the ten largest stadiums. I think they say it seats 93,000. Who knows what the real number is? I know that when we were ready to re-build our stadium, we re-stated our seating capacity from 48k to 42k. I point this out because I had a conversation with a couple of U(sic)GA staff members at the time who admitted they had overstated their own numbers. Their stadium probably seats more than 80,000, which is a large number. For comparison, we are shy of 60,000. Good for them. It doesn't really matter. Their stadium is ugly, uninteresting and surrounded by nothing. It is not especially loud compared to dozens of other stadiums from Austin to College Station to Raleigh to Lincoln.

Recruits from anywhere outside this state generally wouldn't prefer Georgia's stadium (or even differentiate it) in any way from other stadiums I have attended in Clemson, Tallahassee, Auburn, Happy Valley, Columbia, Tuscaloosa, etc or many other places in the SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and elsewhere. It is inferior to the top tier of stadiums at Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, etc. At least our stadium, UNC's, N.C. State's, Notre Dame's, UCLA's and some others have some interesting and unique appeal. Many are newer and nicer.

Other than that, Georgia has a decent weight room, locker room, practice facilities, etc. They have an excellent museum. I could go on; but my point is that they are good but no different from any of a couple of dozen schools. Again, I don't see anything about facilities that anyone from outside this state would particularly remember. On the other hand, ours are perhaps the best in the country in many ways. If you don't believe me, tour our training room, locker room, study halls, etc. I am not sure why recruits will like Georgia's hedges; but I am willing to give you that one if you really want it. Every college has something.

I have lived near Athens. Many people that live there think it is special; but the same thing could be said of any other college town.

For most recruits outside of Georgia, there is nothing special about Athens that you can't find in Auburn, Fayetteville, Oxford, Stillwater or just about any other college town surrounded by pastures. I personally would certainly take Clemson or Gainesville over Athens in a second. I can't imagine why you think many recruits from outside of this state would consider Athens, Ga. to be a special place. The only thing it has going is that it is close to Atlanta; but if you have ever made the drive, you know it takes at least an hour and a half to get to Atlanta (usually two and a half hours with traffic). You might as well be in Clemson or Auburn.

I know Georgia very well. What I can't figure out is why you choose to overestimate them in this thread about David Brown.

_____

I will concede that in my opinion Athens is better than Starkville.

I know it is a matter of personal perspective; but my humble opinion is that Clemson, Oxford, Auburn and many other places are better college towns (better college bars, prettier girls, etc). I also would take Gainesville, Tallahassee, Chapel Hill or any number of other places to go to college over Athens. My real point, though, was that I believe (just my two cents' worth) that most recruits from other states will not think Athens is a great (or even particularly distinguishable) place compared to other schools they may visit. I do realize that may be different for recruits from in state.

_____

Georgia may be considered a top notch program in this state and by their fans; and they make a nice living off of players from around the state. However, if you go anywhere else, they don't have much to sell. To most recruits elsewhere, they are second tier, at best, as a football program behind Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee and, depending on where you live, a few others. Outside the south and particularly this state, and depending on where you live, Georgia looks about the same as Auburn, Clemson, Arkansas, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, UCLA, Texas A&M, Colorado, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Wisconsin, and many others.

One of many things that have changed recently - Georgia can continue to sell instate recruits on the SEC where the most exciting road games are in Columbia, SC, Gainesville, FL and Auburn, AL - and they don't play many non-conference games away from home. We can sell travel to conference games in Miami, Boston, and Tallahassee and nonconference games in Provo, South Bend, Annapolis and other fun places. They used to be able to scare recruits with how bad the neighborhood was around Tech. Now, we are in an awesome location with shopping, restaurants, tourist attractions, hotels, cutting edge research facilities, etc. surrounding our campus. They also used to scare recruits with how hard our academics are (vs. their worthless piece of paper); but now we have put in place academic support infrastructure that will give any recruit an opportunity to get a degree that actually means something.

Outside of this state, Tech can sell academics and national reputation, the many advantages of Atlanta, national following and exposure, best in the nation facilities (in some areas) and programs (such as Total Person and Sports Nutrition), and the former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys that took John Elway to the SuperBowl three times, CREATED "Slash" for Kordell Stewart, won the NFC East with Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, won a college national championship, etc.

____

Some people on this website always try to turn every thread into an opportunity to take a shot at Chan. They choose to overlook his four Superbowls, six division championships including winning the NFC East as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, eleven out of fourteen NFL seasons in the playoffs (including his final eight years), a division II national championship, coordinating one of the most prolific college offenses ever (when he was at Air Force), etc.

It is funny that some people claim to be Tech fans; but they love to come on the internet and assert that Chan is not a capable coach. These marginal few say it over and over and over in as many places on the internet as they can - as if stating it frequently will invalidate the overwhelming preponderance of evidence to the contrary. I find it amusing these people seem to believe that mentioning scores from two or three games invalidates a coach with a lengthy, irreproachable history. I could mention embarrassing scores from three games of any coach that has been in place for a long time (including Bob Stoops, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Bowden and any other accomplished coach). Are all coaches terrible? Repeatedly bringing up a few scores by itself has no bearing on whether Chan (or Stoops or Spurrier or Bowden for that matter) is a great coach. Those people that enjoy brandishing those scores so much only serve to reveal their own weakness and ignorance.

I have read in a few places where people on the internet stated that Michael Jordan was not a great basketball player because he was overblown by Nike and he couldn't win when he came back without Pippin and Phil Jackson. That is an example of the same incomplete logic. Instead of convincing me that Jordan was not a great player, it simply exposes the ridiculous weakness of the person making that case.

I can substantiate that Michael Jordan was one of the greatest players ever. I can also prove that Chan is a great coach. I still have not seen the first bit of reasonable evidence to the contrary. Yes, I know that Jordan was in some ways not as good when he came back - because of the time away from the game and his aging physical skills. That doesn't apply to Chan, who is just now reaching the best years of his coaching life in his early fifties.

"
END QUOTES

Anway, have fun with this and GO JACKETS!!!

Jacketsrule...Thank you very much for taking the time to post this over here......Points that i have often thought about posting on a GT forum through the years but in no way could convey them the way you do!

I have often told people that GT is more of a name NATIONALY than uga...That outside some areas of this state that we have an advantage over uga in recruiting....Ive always thought that once we got a Head Coach that was very good AND WAS COMMITTED to being HERE..That we could tap into those advantages...I think as Chan builds a winner here our recruiting especially outside this state will go to a lot higher level..Example: Last year we reeled in the best players we have EVER brought in from Florida...And you now see us getting the most highly rated player from Alabama we have ever gotten...We are already reeling in good recruits from Texas....I agree wholeheartly that reeling in Brown over Notre Dame and Alabama is larger than over uga....GREAT POINTS AND A MUST READ BY ALL GT FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When i saw sfalco (The great uga fan he is ) was lurking i KNEW he would add his 2 cents worth as ANY Dawg would..iM A LITTLE SURPRISED HE DIDNT SAY 100% BS.....

uhhhh... Jacketsrule, just for the record, UGA has TWO official National Champsionships.

And just like the guy who tried to over estimate UGA,lets not UNDER estimate them either. Athens is a hot bed of artistic culture that other college towns never will have or cannot come close to. To suggest that Clemson, Auburn and Oxford are better than Athens as far as college towns is absolutely absurd. None of them hold a candle to it. Don't know where you hung out during college, but going to Athens was regaularly on my social calendar. The girls there are incredible, and I've been to Clemson, Auburn and Ole Miss and I still prefer the girls at UGA.

Now why I agree with you that it is not necessarily easy to differentiate Athens from other college towns to Joe Blow recruit, there is a lot to be said for a team that has a hot new coach and has gone to the SEC (Still the premiere conference in college football) championship game two years in a row.

I do agree with you that Tech can sell itself to national recruits better than UGA, BUT.. RARELY have we found coaches in football that can do this. The thing is you have to know how to market Tech. O'Leary was a master at this and he should have written the handbook on it before he left. What also made O'Leary great was that he recruited the state of GA better than any prior coach with the exception of Dodd. Tech is a unique school, and we need people that embrace this and see the advantages of selling it to recruits. You find a good salesman ie. coach, you have yourself a good recruiter. I like what I see in Gailey so far, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Is that what the NCAA cass self reporting sfalco?

Truth hurts doesn't it.

You think you're cosmopolitan because you went to spring break and your trailer park has two families from Alabama.

Where have you lived that makes you qualified to describe the posts above as 99% BS?

Everywhere I have lived, the above assessments are spot on. UGA might be building a reputation in Georgia as a good school, but it is not perceived that way more than one state over.

"You're the only person I know who could get alzheimers and end up smarter!" GTCrew to sfalco, Nov 2003.

Also, when you can promise a recruit that every home game they will be playing in front of a packed 90,000 seat stadium filled with rabid fans pulling for YOU that in itself separates UGA from a TON of other schools. Furthermore you are playing in front of a National Broadcast almost every week. Your away games are similar in stadium size and attendance. You play games against Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, and Florida.... you don't think that sells?? Gimme a break.

Ive lived in this state for over 40 years and i STILL think Athens is a BORING place...And the drive to Atlanta is a grind...I do think that Clemson,Auburn are much nicer places and i disagree with the pretty girls thing...Although there are some Beuats in Athens..Auburn tops Athens on that..AND for SURE Tallahassee and Gainesville have prettier gals... ..

I guess these 2 points can be debated till the cows from Athens come home......

Ole Miss has better looking women vs UGA BOR. I dated a UGA sorority girl and I spent a lot of time on both campuses.

Granted I had an in at Oxford that set me up with some unbelieveable hotties, but when you walk around the Grove you find that the Alumni southern belles don't let themselves go like the ones you see on the way to Stinkford.

Ole Miss' motto could be The chicks are hot, their moms are hot, the temperature is hot.

This post is only assessing the relative looks of the ladies. Don't take it for more than that.

Having said that UGA should outrecruit Ole Miss on a lot of other levels. Athens IMHO is a solid small college town. I think Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Austin, Charlottesville and Durham are better places. I think it is a close call with Gainesville, Tallahassee, and Raleigh.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Ive lived in this state for over 40 years and i STILL think Athens is a BORING place...And the drive to Atlanta is a grind...I do think that Clemson,Auburn are much nicer places and i disagree with the pretty girls thing...Although there are some Beuats in Athens..Auburn tops Athens on that..AND for SURE Tallahassee and Gainesville have prettier gals... ..

I guess these 2 points can be debated till the cows from Athens come home......
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Son, if you got bored in Athens GA (especially while you were single and in college), I can almost promise you that you're just not doing something right.

"The Bull Shiite in here piles up so fast you need wings to stay above it all". -Apocalpyse Now

Seriously folks... I love Tech too, but some of you guys wear gold colored coke bottled glasses and don't have the sense to take them off when you post.

The stadium thing will only be an issue for a few more years. By the time I am retired nearly all the BCS school stadiums will be between 70 and 100K.

Besides when TV audiences are measures in the millions, how big a difference is 30K?

Likewise the TV issue is only a big deal for a few more years. By the time the next deal to be inked expires we will have passed the SEC by in TV coverage. Mark it down.

BOR, did you continue to go to Athens to meet chicks when you graduated? Most Tech men find Atlanta to be a much better 'hunting ground' once they have the finances to buy beer by the bottle instead of chipping in for the keg.

Sure you had fun in Athens as a student, but was it more fun than the years after you graduated were?

I don't have the time to strap on my rubber boots to wade through most of the BS included in the above comments, but I'll skim over some highlights.

“I WILL take this occasion to point out that one player (Hershel Walker) is the difference between Georgia's tradition over their entire history being in the top 15-20 (which it probably is - comparable to Tech) vs. being arguably in the top 30.”

UGA is in the top 15 in all-time winning percentage according to the official NCAA stats. GT is not in the top 30.

“What is their great tradition over the lifetime of most recruits? An SEC championship last year. So what? Northwestern won the Big 10. Georgia has also had handful of top ten rankings and a huge number of incredibly highly rated recruiting classes. I can't think of much else. That certainly doesn't separate them from a lot of other schools. They have won more consistently over the last twenty years than us and some others; but they also have had less accomplishment than us and many others over the same period.”

And BYU has won a NC in the past 20 years. I'd certainly rather have UGA's history over the past 20 years.

In addition, something else that separates UGA from a lot of other schools.

What is one of the most important aspects to a HS football recruit in making his decision about where to play? Not all of them, but many, would claim that the opportunity to make it to the next level is important.

It’s obvious that if one is an exceptionally gifted player he’ll get the chance to play in the NFL no matter where he plays college FB. Nevertheless, the more opportunities one gets to play on national TV for a program that ranks in the top 5 or 10 in the NCAA in regards to the number of players currently on NFL rosters, the better one’s chances of getting recognized by NFL scouts.

“When recruits go into Georgia's facilities and look at tradition, they see a lot of Hershel Walker's accomplishments, his team's championship, and a few other things. When they go in our locker room, they see a more recent championship that they may actually remember, names like Heisman, Ross and Joe Hamilton that they are familiar with, and more recent tradition to go with the ancient stuff.”

And they won’t recognize names like Terrell Davis, Hines Ward, Champ Bailey and Garrison Hearst? Sorry, when you talk about recognizable names to recruits these days, UGA has plenty of them.

“Their stadium is ugly, uninteresting and surrounded by nothing.”

That is definitely a matter of opinion that is slanted by your biased hatred toward everything UGA. The stadium sits right in the middle of campus. It’s not like it is out in the middle of a pasture. And neither is Athens, which will be discussed further.

“Recruits from anywhere outside this state generally wouldn't prefer Georgia's stadium (or even differentiate it) in any way from other stadiums I have attended in Clemson, Tallahassee, Auburn, Happy Valley, Columbia, Tuscaloosa, etc or many other places in the SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and elsewhere.”

Like is or not, that fact that more people will watch a recruit play in Sanford Stadium than those others mentioned above is a factor. You claim "recruits outside this state generally wouldn't prefer Georgia's stadium (or even differentiate it) in any way from other stadiums I have attended"

I would like to know upon what you base that claim, considering Sanford Stadium is consistently ranked in the top 10 by most NATIONAL publications, this being just one...
Evidence to the contrary(link)

“For most recruits outside of Georgia, there is nothing special about Athens that you can't find in Auburn, Fayetteville, Oxford, Stillwater or just about any other college town surrounded by pastures. I personally would certainly take Clemson or Gainesville over Athens in a second. I can't imagine why you think many recruits from outside of this state would consider Athens, Ga. to be a special place. The only thing it has going is that it is close to Atlanta; but if you have ever made the drive, you know it takes at least an hour and a half to get to Atlanta (usually two and a half hours with traffic). You might as well be in Clemson or Auburn.”

Sorry, most would disagree (link)

And this is consistent year in and year out.

In addition, this was reported just yesterday on ugasports.com about a 4-star recruit outside of the state...

"Oakland (Ca.) Skyline wide receiver Kenny O'Neal (6-1, 195, 4.3) ) officially visited the Georgia Bulldogs this weekend. The visit put the Dawgs in the driver’s seat for O’neal’s signature. '“I loved my visit out there, it went great,” said O'Neal. “I stayed real busy the whole time I was there and didn’t want to leave because I was having so much fun.'”

I know it is a matter of personal perspective; but my humble opinion is that Clemson, Oxford, Auburn and many other places are better college towns (better college bars, prettier girls, etc). I also would take Gainesville, Tallahassee, Chapel Hill or any number of other places to go to college over Athens.

You are right. That is your personal preference. However, there is more to do in the downtown Athens area than there is is Clemson, Oxford and Auburn. I haven't been to Chapel Hill or Tallahassee.

Not that bars are important to recruits, but since you mentioned it, there are more bars and restaurants in downtown Athens than any of those schools.

My real point, though, was that I believe (just my two cents' worth) that most recruits from other states will not think Athens is a great (or even particularly distinguishable) place compared to other schools they may visit. I do realize that may be different for recruits from in state.

and that's about what the drivel you have posted is worth...2 cents.

Like the recruit mentioned above, most kids leave Athens and UGA with a very positive impression, no matter where they are from. The fact that UGA does not recruit as nationally as other schools has more to do with the fact that for the most part, UGA does not have to.

Case close.

All the mongrels on this board should go over to BO, their comments would be welcome there so get lost all you mongrel lovers.

Back