Calvin Johnson (Per info. on the Hive)

Just found my other Dawgie post. I am sure we all saw Saxon Dawg's original "Four Notes on a Trumpet." It was funny; and it was the first truly effective smack I have ever seen from a Dawg. Unfortunately, just about every Dawgie I know emailed it to me; and they will continue to pull it out every time we play them.

Therefore, I attempted to create a response that any Tech fan can pull out in response. Saxon's post was an impressive original. I had to leave out a lot of potentially humorous material and orginality because it was more important to me in this case to have a line-for-line response. This version has a few editorial changes from the version that was on the Hive.

If anyone happens to still be reading this thread and wants to save it for next season or whenever you get Saxon's great work of literature, please feel free to copy this and use it in response. You can decide for yourself if it is worthwhile or deserves attribution.

BEGIN "

The Dawg Experience: Four Notes Redux

You wake up on the pull-away, beneath your Dukes of Hazard bedsheets, with that feeling in the pit of your stomach. That pounding feeling, that giddy nauseous rush that typically means any one of several things. You stumble into the john and painfully take care of business. Nothing a little Mylanta can't help. Something about how your stomach feels - after dinner at Ryan's Steakhouse last night - makes you remember: it's gameday in Athens today!

You put on your bright red rayon cargo pants and your black Jerry Springer t-shirt- your souvenir from your third appearance on the show. Then moving to the dresser, you specially polish your silver "Go Dawgs!" belt buckle, adding one final flourish, a little more more shine on the Dawg's derriere. Speaking of which, your underwear is relatively clean, your mullet is combed, and you're lookin' good! You're lookin' DAWG!

Heart pounding, you trot through the double-wide. Aunt Cletis and Uncle Bert are looking through the comic strips from last week's newspaper. That Garfield really cracks you up! You slip out the door quietly and hike up your pants with a twist as you walk through the crisp autumn air. And there it is - the BUS stop. It won't be long now.

You embark on Athens' own public transit system, your eyes scan the other passengers and, yes! There, sitting next to Athens' own mayor Davidson - another Dawg! You make your way over and begin barking for him, and he excitedly barks back. And now, with all the other passengers staring at you, you feel it more strongly than ever - the essence of being a Bulldawg. You pass gas, trudge away, and fall into the usual seat in row three until the final stop on Broad Street, chuckling smugly as you put those snobby Tech fans in their place with some more barking. It brings back memories of your prom.

You disembark in metropolitan Athens, deftly stepping over the freshman vomiting on the sidewalk, and take a deep breath of bus exhaust and sewer construction. Ah, to be in Athens! Now you see Dawg fans everywhere. By Hershel, there must be enough of them here to pay Ray Goff and Jim Donnan and even that Jirsa guy that coached baseball or something. You pause at the center of all activity in town - Holiday Inn on Broad Street. There, a guy you knew from trade school offers you another swig of Boone's Farm; and you step behind a tree to partake of the most sacred game day tradition. If only that rock was a Tech fan. You would show her!

Then, you're on campus, less than two miles from the stadium. You take in the pageantry that is game day. You hear fans chattering about Hershel, recruits parking their escalades, and frat boys fighting. It's the sound of barking. It's drunken rednecks and boxes of cheap wine. It's twenty years of "just wait 'til next year!" It's "Wake Forest of Maryland or Something" and Larry Munson describing an entire game without mentioning who the opponent is. It's Vince Dooley, the very embodiment of all this great institution stands for, showing up those academic people.

Above all, its about those same four profound words: "How 'Bout Them Dawgs!?!" Woof. Woof. You hear it now. They can't suspend you from middle school for saying it anymore. You start barking at the top of your lungs, your gut bouncing with each crazed utterance. The entire crowd joins in: "woof!"

That pure, beautiful, classy sound. It's your call. It's what makes you a Dawg. Deep down you know that next year will be the year. With all those recruits, it's only a matter of time 'til Florida goes down. You only hope it happens soon. The next NCAA probation won't mean the death penalty. Hershel and Coach Dooley would never let that happen. Just thinking about Hershel makes you want to bark some more! This sacred moment cannot last.

You just can't lose to an academic school like Tech. Your boss will never let you forget it. Some day, you'll finally do it. You'll get a promotion and make enough money to help recruit. You can buy your own SEC Championship ring. You'll help your beloved Dawgs achieve more than the Capital One Bowl. And in your heart, you'll always be a proud Dawg. "Woof! Woof!"

END "

not to defend this dawg, but Athens is a really cool town. I've never seen a better looking group of hot co-eds on one campus...ever. If GT had its own version of downtown-like bars collected together next to our campus in Atlanta...it would be all the rage.

Not a bad music scene either, but then again, neither is Hotlanta!

Then if you are like all of us and love the girls...You would LOVE Tallahassee or Gainesville, and even Auburn....They are even better....The girls from the two Florida schools would beat any campus in the country..Again it is all a matter of opinion....

Road Trip!
drinking.gif

Let's recruit not only players to GT, but good looking women, too. Come on Gailey, get to work!
wink.gif

GT's Cheerleaders have made a big improvement as far as Looks go...as oppossed to years past....Not Bad!!!!

Have you ever been to Oxford or Knoxville jacketpower?

Granted, I don't think flip flops should be worn in public, much less when you are 'going out'.

I know I'm old, but I just like my scenery a little more sophisticated.

Our cheerleaders are better, but our co-eds could use a big "face-lift", if you know what I mean.

Proud to be a Jacket!!!

You guys can insinuate all you want. I can't stand the guy. When he comes over here I'm going to flame him no matter what you call it.

Sorry you feel that way.

Why don't I like him? He has no grasp of reality. I and many others here have lived in many places and we all agree that Athens is just one of a dozen decent cow towns in the southeast.

Does that "we all" include the GT fans in this thread alone who agreed?

"To suggest that Clemson, Auburn and Oxford are better than Athens as far as college towns is absolutely absurd."

"If you don't have fun in Athens you must be dead."

"not to defend this dawg, but Athens is a really cool town. I've never seen a better looking group of hot co-eds on one campus...ever. If GT had its own version of downtown -like bars collected together next to our campus in Atlanta...it would be all the rage"

He has zero perspective and yet has the nerve to tell us we don't know what we are talking about.

I lived in College Station (Texas A & M) for a year. It is borrrrriing compared to Athens. But that's my opinion.

I also know many people who went to other schools who claim that Athens was on the top of their list as favorite college towns to visit.

I still haven't heard back on the Texasthing.

Now you have.

Look, first and foremost, if you can't handle a fan of a rival having different opinions and presenting them in a rational manner, with back up information to reference, maybe you need to take a break from message boards.

Second, I am fully aware that this is a GT message board and that my rights as a UGA fan here are limited. Nevertheless, what fun would it be for anyone on this board if we didn't have intelligent, clean, and rational arguments?

Finally, if the moderators didn't want this type of exchange on this board I would have been eliminated long ago. But I have remained well within the boundaries spelled out by the moderators, which I think shows respect to this forum and GT fans in general.

Have a nice day.:-)

Originally posted by jacketpower:
Our cheerleaders are better, but our co-eds could use a big "face-lift", if you know what I mean.

Proud to be a Jacket!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Are you saying that all the Co-eds are ugly??

not to defend this dawg, but Athens is a really cool town. I've never seen a better looking group of hot co-eds on one campus...ever. If GT had its own version of downtown -like bars collected together next to our campus in Atlanta...it would be all the rage.

That's what makes Athens so great. Where else as a student can you walk right across the street from campus and have all of those eating and drinking establishments, music theaters, clubs, etc. within walking distance and not have to drive to get from one place to another?

If you like to let off a little steam every once in a while while in college, Athens is a great place to do it. On any given Thursday, Friday or Saturday night the streets of downtown Athens are full of people.

I hear Chapel Hill has something like that, but I have never been there.

Where else can you arrive in town early on game day, park your car downtown, and have the choice of hitting the downtown establishments or tailgating before the game? Or both? I have done both many times.

That's something Athens has that places like Clemson, Auburn, Ole Miss and GT do not have.

But GT has its' advantages also. It's right in the middle of ATL! While you might have to drive a while if you want to go from one place to another, you still have a lot more options than many small college towns.

This is one way the social aspects of college life at UGA and GT differ dramatically. Neither necessarily better. Just different.

Like I said before, now that I have a career and a family, I prefer ATL. But if I were an 18 - 22 year old college student, Athens would be the place for me.

No way, Black Watch! I'm saying that overall, other school's co-ed are collectively better. I've been to FSU, North Carolina, UGA, Auburn and many others...and their women are in a different league than our alma mater. Love my GT girls, but definitely always nice to road trip!!!

Sfalco....We have figured you out....

Your on here trying to Recruit....

An 18-22 Year old should be smart enough to figure out HOTLANTA..Is THE PLACE to be..Both Now with It's Nightlife and After he graduates as far as Job Opportunities go.....

Get a degree from GT which is Recognized WORLDWIDE and Not a degree from Athens which will not be recognized outside this State!!!!!

And how old were you when you were in College Station?

Here's the problem. When a respected GT poster comes on here and posts why GT is great and why a five star recruit should want to come here and then you post 99%BS you should be banned. There is nothing civil about that post. There is nothing redeeming about that post. It is a direct slam on GT with nothing backing it up. You picked and chose your points from then on to save face, and you even have a few posters thinking you are OK. Well I do not.

Now I do think we all agree that Athens is alright. We just disagree on where to put it in the LONG list of U cow towns. That was one of the points of jacketsrule's posts.

There are a lot of comparable towns to Athens in the southeast (without counting, I'd guess a dozen have been mentioned in this thread alone).

On the other hand, the only real cities with BCS schools in the southeast are Miami and Atlanta (and maybe Nashville). That gives us an advantage we should leverage.

You grew up in Athens among Athens lovers and barely strayed from there. Of course you think Athens is the greatest. But if UGA was as highly thought of as the dawgnation thinks it is, UGA would get national recruits like FSU and Miami. Can you name one SEC school with a less diverse roster?

And one more thing. While it is possible to live where you can walk to downtown, everybody (except EJ's cousin) that I know who went to UGA lived in apartments off campus, none of which were within reasonable walking distance.

Gtcrew...That is the REAL problem here!!!!

This is a Thread about Calvin Johnson and Recruiting and NO doubt recruits will be reading it...Obviously ugag would like to have Calvin and some others that we are recruiting....

So Sfalco buuuuldog is ranting and raving at a FEVER pitch....as to how the SUN JUST SHINES on lil ole Athens over there....

This is when he needs to be sent back home!!!!!!!

This is my last comment on this subject (The collective board says "Whew!")

Here's the problem. When a respected GT poster comes on here and posts why GT is great and why a five star recruit should want to come here and then you post 99%BS you should be banned.

Wrong...

Forgive me if I understood jacketsrule's comments incorrectly, but I think the theme of his post was not "why GT is great" but more so why UGA and Athens is nothing special and has no more to offer recruits from out of state than any other college town in the south.

Maybe I should have cut and paste the comments in jr's post that I was referring to when I stated "99% BS", but I don't think it is that hard to comprehend that his overall theme was much less pro GT than it was anti-UGA.

There is nothing civil about that post. There is nothing redeeming about that post. It is a direct slam on GT with nothing backing it up.

Incorrect. See previous comment above then finish reading this comment....

...it is not a slam on GT. It is a slam on jr's argument.

You grew up in Athens among Athens lovers and barely strayed from there.

No I didn't grow up in Athens. I never claimed I did.

Of course you think Athens is the greatest.

I have always been a UGA fan, but I fell in love with Athens after I realized it had something that towns like Lexington, Auburn, Knoxville, Nashville, Atlanta and Columbia didn't have.

Those are all places that I visited before I decided on UGA. The only place I visited that impressed my like Athens is Austin.

But if UGA was as highly thought of as the dawgnation thinks it is, UGA would get national recruits like FSU and Miami. Can you name one SEC school with a less diverse roster?

Not if UGA didn't have to. UGA can recruit the state a do well in gathering talent. If it is easier to convince HS players in the state of GA that UGA is the place for them, and the talent pool is among the top 5 states in the country, why spend as much time recruiting a kid from Ohio?

Thanks for the lively banter on this subject. Ya'll take care. :-)

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Jacketsrule your at it again...

You say the same things ive thought for the 40+ years of living in this state...

What i find was amusing that one of our GT fans stated that Athens was a Artistic Hotbed of culture and none of the other towns could match it...WOW....I fell off my chair with laughter on that one...Was he talking about Athens,Greece???

Ive traveled all over the world and been to some nice places but have to say Athens,Ga. ranks at the very bottom of any place i would want to visit...Unbelievable as to how some GT fans have this Love Affair with our stepchild to the East.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gee, let's see. Athens Ga was the center of the rock music universe in the 80's to early 90's. The B-52's, REM, Wide Spread Panic, just to name a few came from Athens. The music scene is second to none. They have many artists that reside there as well as well as one of the best public Art schools in the country. So my comments are RIGHT ON when I said that. So again, if you are going to talk, why don't you stop talking out of your ass.

You have this hang-up where Athens, GA IS UGA to you. I was talking about Athens strictly as a city by itself. And again, if you have been "all over" why don't you walk into Auburn, Clemson, Oxford, or anywhere else and find the same artistic culture that is all over Athens. You won't find it because it hardly exists. So again, if you are going to act like I have no clue as to what I'm talking about maybe you could start backing it up with facts instead of "your opinion".

I've given you several reasons why Athens is a great town (other than UGA it is). You have yet to tell me WHY those other places are so much better than Athens. It's funny.. you are like the exact opposite of MSTA and Beeware. Like them, you post without substance, and then act like its fact. But instead of negative posts, yours are positive to GT (which I at least like, but don't necessarily respect). Up until now, I've had no problem with them, but if you are going to rag me out for a very true statement, then you better provide something other than "your opinion" when making your arguement.

Otherwise, can it.

Bee-lieve it or not...there are many tech fans that live in Athens, and love it. My cousin is one of them. He actually commutes back and forth to Atlanta. I wouldn't do that drive everyday, but he says its a great town...especially when it comes to raising his girls there vs Atlanta.

jacketpower

#1 does he live in Athens or outside it. Does he live in Clarke County? Raising girls in Atlanta is different than Roswell or Gwinnett.

#2 Have you been to Oxford or Knoxville?

He lives in Clarke county...and yes, I actually dated a girl in Knoxville for two years. They lived in very nice subdivision along the river and had a lake house out near Watts lake or something like that. What does Knoxville have to do with Athens?

Back