Calvin Johnson (Per info. on the Hive)

why don't yall just exchange emails?

Originally posted by kirbee:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wouldn't that be nice!!??

Holy smokes.

Originally posted by kirbee:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This board has been dead for around a week..so nothing like some lively debate..Maybe it is the Holidays....

So where in the Blue Ridge Mnts. do you live??

No way you slice it or spin it is Athens ANY better than those towns

NO spinning or slicing. If we are using choices in social opportunities and entertainment establishments as the measuring stick, there is no comparison. Athens offers a lot more. It's just a fact that can be quantified and can't be argued.

Thanks for the lively debate, BW. While we disagree on whether or not Athens has more to offer than a lot of other schools, it's good we can discuss it without beating each other up.

"You are clearly stating that unless a player gets 'discovered' on TV their chances of playing in the NFL are slimmer."

No I am not. What I do claim is that the more exposure a college FB player has on TV, the more he is recognized in the media, the more hype he gets. The higher he gets drafted the more $ he makes.

I know scouts are stupid. But I also know people do buy in to hype.

GTCREW,

"The link says nothing and you know it. One guy's opinion that you are the #2 cow college town. Wow. Any chance he is just trying to sell magazines?"

Are you serious?

First, both of those links are form NATIONAL media outlets. It's not like CBS Sportsline and Sports Illustrated are trying to market specifically to UGA fans.

Second, year after year publications like these consistently rank Athens as one of the top college towns and Sanford as one of the top stadiums.

"Yes it should be embarassing to you that posters on this board know more about your recruits WHEN YOU ACT LIKE A KNOW-IT-ALL."

I'm not embarassed at all that when the article states the kid is from California that I believe he is from California. Excuse me if I'm not a recruting nerd who has to research the entire life of every possible recruit.

In conclusion, I never stated that UGA has the national appeal of the Notre Dame's, USC's and Nebraska's of the college FB world. I just argued that Athens and UGA would be appealing to many recruits from other parts of the country. If a UGA hosted a bunch of kids from other parts of the country for a weekend to show them the town, campus, and stadium, most of them would be impressed.

I also stated that Athens has more to offer than Auburn, AL, Oxford,Miss. and Clemson, SC. in regards to social activities and establishments, which is true.

None of that is grasping.

Save your silly, simple-minded insults for someone who you can actually rattle. Have a nice day. :-)

Sfalco...Your arguments as to Lil ole Athens, Ga. Being more attractive than Clemson,Sc. or Auburn Al..Is a stretch at best.....There is NO WAY you can sell a recruit on Athens Ga. being this Great place to live...Stick to other things you can offer....Again, for recreational activities Give me Clemson, Sc..With the most beautiful Lake in the southeast...as to Auburn...You are only a VERY short drive to the Gold Coast....I like both towns and their locations better than Athens....Athens is stuck in the middle of nowhere.....You have NO strong argument as to Athens,Ga. being better than other small college towns such as Clemson,Auburn,Chapel Hill, and SO MANY OTHERS...That is the WHOLE POINT jacketsrule was making...Stick to your 1980 National Championship and Hershell Walker......

You have NO strong argument as to Athens,Ga. being better than other small college towns such as Clemson,Auburn,Chapel Hill

That might be your opinion. However, I never said Athens is "better" than any other college towns.

Even though I have consistent, unbiased national publications that support that notion, I think that what is considered "better" is very subjective, or individually determined.

I did, however, claim that Athens has more to offer than Auburn, AL, Oxford, Miss. and Clemson, SC. in regards to social activities and establishments, which is true.

A lot of potential college FB recruits and regular students would probably consider that "better".

Now I certainly don't have the time to go count frats at UGA or the number of bars, clubs, restaurants, or theaters in Clemson, Auburn or Athens and compare them.

But I can tell you with assured confidence that Athens has more to offer than most college towns.

More proof.....

You
Lose
This(notice the comment about Sanford Stadium)
Argument

You dont win the ----- war...in your own mind you do and you/ugag fans want others to buy into it also...it is just the usual ugag HYPE that the local media keeps playing the good soldier to...Their alma mater....

Hey..Jacketsrule spelled out CLEARLY: How you dont have ANYMORE things to offer than GT and a lot of other schools PERIOD!!! when you weigh your positives (Not talking about your delusional Hype) and Negatives against ours and a LOT of other schools...There is NOT much of a difference....Now that is FACT...Not hype....Again i will give you Hershell and the 1980 Nat.championship ...lets leave it at that...you play in the sec which is a plus but NO advantage now when compared to the NEW ACC....You and I will NEVER agree so..Lets Leave it alone...after all this is our board...The proper thing to do is to take that stuff over to the VENT...But i will not join you there BECAUSE that is your board...never have posted there and NEVER will!!!!!!

You dont win the ----- war...in your own mind you do and you/ugag fans want others to buy into it also...it is just the usual ugag HYPE that the local media keeps playing the good soldier to...Their alma mater....

Which one of the five different media links above is a local media outlet? Answer: NONE.

Hey..Jacketsrule spelled out CLEARLY: How you dont have ANYMORE things to offer than GT and a lot of other schools PERIOD!!!

I never claimed UGA had more to offer than GT. Both schools and locations have much to offer but are very different. I did claim (Please read carefully, because I have made this point at least two times already)that Athens has more to offer than Auburn, AL, Clemson, SC and Oxford, MS. I made this statement basically because jacketsrule claimed Athens did not have any more to offer than those towns.

"when you weigh your positives (Not talking about your delusional Hype) and Negatives against ours and a LOT of other schools...There is NOT much of a difference....Now that is FACT"

No. It's a matter of perspective. What is positive or negative to you might not be positive or negative to someone else. It is merely a statement / conclusion that can either strongly supported or not.

Thanks for playing. Have a nice day.

This thread is great! I actually laughed out loud a couple of times reading some of this stuff from BarrelORum, SFalco, and others.

While I don't agree a whole lot with the posts Barrel makes, I like his passion and I agree strongly with one thing he did say: we don't have to put them down to make ourselves look better. When I was wrestling, I always wanted my opponent to be the best. I don't pull for failure in any of our rivals except the Dawgs - and it has nothing to do with them being our opponents on the field. I enjoy poking fun at the pups because of the low class of most of their fans and their willingness to sell out the integrity of their mission (academic and otherwise) to win football games.

By the way, many of the actual alumni of Georgia I know are fine: it is mostly the sidewalk fans - the trailer trash whose entire lives all year revolve around recruiting rankings and football - that give the rest such a bad name. Even a few of the Dawgie fonts on the Hive (like Dave the Dawg) are sportsmanlike and fun. I know many of the pups' most influential alumni - and have had occasion to visit with Vince Dooley and Mark Richt a few times due to some mutual friends we have and their involvement in a civic organization that I also work with. Most of these folks are a credit. They are simply overshadowed by the obnoxious "Go Dawgs!" barking crowd.

I am talking about the fans that pick fights with children and poured beer on my seven year old sister- and the delusional fans that have no grasp on the reality of their place in this world. Every school may have a few loser fans - but I travel a lot and go to games in many places - Georgia has far and away the most and worst of these fans of anyone. These people are the reason I pull for anyone that is playing Georgia.

I also stand strongly by my point that beating Georgia for a recruit outside this state is not a big deal. Just for fun, I will also point out that when I was in college, I used to "hook up" with UGA coeds a lot my first couple of years in college. Admittedly, I had way too much fun in college. I spent a lot of fun nights up at Papa Joe's or down at the 40Watt and all over Athens.

I also spent a lot of time in other college towns from Clemson to Auburn to Chapel Hill. The most fun was at Tallahassee (not just a college town) and the prettiest girls (by far) were in Oxford. My personal favorite pure college towns were Oxford, Gainesville, Auburn and Clemson in that order.

Students at every one of the schools would make an emotional case why they are the best (and each probably had its strengths); but for an unaffiliated college student, there just wasn't that much to distinguish one college town from the others. Athens, as a town, was the least fun. I went there a lot just because I knew a large number of students during my many years in college.

For my part, I don't really think a whole lot about the Dawgies since I left my hometown (not too far from Athens) nearly two decades ago. I do often notice their loser fans, though. I just happened to write a few posts this year around our football game with them. Since this thread has turned into so much fun: I will throw out here one that I posted on the Hive before the game. I have another that I will try to find if I get a chance.

BEGIN "

Win or Lose - We Win

20ozBulldog asked a couple of weeks ago why so many Tech fans look down at Georgia. I didn't feel the need to respond then and I don't now. However, it may be a little fun to take a poke at them because the dawgies are willing to sell their souls to win at football; while we are not. It must really kill them when they lose to us.

Georgia is the epitome of a football factory. They have easy majors and classes designed to coddle athletes. Their fanbase is populated by an exaggerated number of sidewalk fans that believe the mission of the school is to win football games.

They have gone on probation for NCAA violations about every 4 years over the last 25 years. Many feel their next serious violation could lead to the death penalty. If a U(sic)GA coach loses three or four games a season but runs a clean program, his job is in danger. However, if a coach wins big at Georgia, he can break any rules. U(sic)GA stands for all that is wrong with college sports.

On the other hand, Tech is about winning without compromise: one of maybe six Div I-A schools that has never been on probation. Every student at the school must take calculus to graduate. Every degree from Tech is valuable.

Around the country, people respect a Georgia Tech degree. If people find out you have a degree from U(sic)GA, they want to know how your team is going to do this year.

At my former high school (not too far from Athens), the smartest kids generally go to Tech or out of state. After college, the Tech grads all move on to successful lives. The ones that come back home are leaders in the community. The next tier of kids often go to UGA or other local schools and they never move away from the community. Some of the UGA grads go on to decent lives while others end up in dead end jobs. The ones that succeed don't do so because of anything they got out of college.

Dawgies will go on about how hard it is to get into their business school. Then, in the same breath they want to fire Dr. Adams - the one guy that is trying to create a little academic credibility at the school for the first time - because he doesn't let their AD push him around. If they fire Dr. Adams, they will never be taken seriously again.

Sure, thanks to Dr. Adams and a few others, that one major has a good reputation and a couple of other majors are decent; but they will never stand with a Tech degree in value. I have seen some of the work they do in their classes at U(sic)GA. It is easier than what we did in my public high school. If you want to practice law in Georgia, go to Georgia because of the "good ol' boy network." But if you ever want to go to work outside of this state, that law degree and that business degree are worthless.

Tommy Bowden at Clemson was reported to have told his players a couple of years ago that they couldn't lose to Tech because Tech is an "academic school." This statement could just as well have come from Mark Richt.

That is why I love it so much when we beat them. They are willing to do anything to win- while we do not compromise. I know they won't admit it; but it has to hurt to know that we have more national championships, better bowl winning percentage, etc. We can argue all day about who has the better tradition, program, conference, coaches, etc. I just think it would suck to be them and even be in a position to have to argue.

If they beat us, we are still better at fulfilling our mission. If they lose to us, they have nothing.

It would be like if you spend your whole life devoted to playing golf. You work hours a day- spending all your time and money to be as good as you can be. You believe you have the talent. You are perfectly willing to cheat to win: it's not about the cheating, only how long until you get caught. Then, some guy that has a life outside of golf and doesn't even play very often beats you. You accuse him of cheating to bring him to your level- but you know that you cheated, he played fair, and he still won. And it's not his whole life. That has to be painful.

Jacketsrule your at it again...

You say the same things ive thought for the 40+ years of living in this state...

What i find was amusing that one of our GT fans stated that Athens was a Artistic Hotbed of culture and none of the other towns could match it...WOW....I fell off my chair with laughter on that one...Was he talking about Athens,Greece???

Ive traveled all over the world and been to some nice places but have to say Athens,Ga. ranks at the very bottom of any place i would want to visit...Unbelievable as to how some GT fans have this Love Affair with our stepchild to the East.....

Black Watch is one of our obsessed fans and sees everything through yellow-colored glasses. I guess we're all that way to an extent.

SFALCO:

Props to you and your ability to present a solid argument without resorting to name-calling and silly slogans! You are an enjoyable poster, in my Top 10, but then again, so is JacketsRule (BOR #1) You tend to keep your arguments logical, and do not get caught up in subtle slander against GT, like other DAWG posters (NFD) Only horrible post you ever made was in regards to Ron Rogers!

(ok, let me have it, BW!)

Originally posted by jacketpower:
Black Watch is one of our obsessed fans and sees everything through yellow-colored glasses. I guess we're all that way to an extent.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am a huge fan myself. I frequently admit that I care far too much about college sports. That being said, I try to generally be sportsmanlike and considerate of other fans at games.

I cannot speak for Black Watch. I choose to use the venue of this message board to primarily dwell on relevant things that are positive. Perhaps BlackWatch feels likewise.

It is particularly easy to be positive now when things ARE generally positive. It was more difficult to do so in, say, '94.

I always try to note and learn from negatives- but I wasn't voicing them ceaselessly with glee on the internet in '94 - nor do I do so now. If you choose to focus on negatives on the internet and repeat them often and with relish, that is your choice. As I have learned Sun Tzu in the "Art of War" and from others, these few negative fonts that do so tend only to reveal their own weakness by what they say. Not intending this specifically for you, jacketpower.

Riiiiigggghhhhhttttt Ringgold,

if you think a solid arguement is saying TV matters in making the pros then getting called on it and backtracking three times to different angles.

And Athens is great because the Dayton travel section featured it as a nice place to visit.

I could pull that many articles extolling the virtues of Natchez Mississippi. It's a nice place to visit also.

The guy is the worst Georgia poster of all time. If a GT fan posted the same type of garbage on a UGA board they would be nuked by the second post. I can't believe we put up with it here.

Originally posted by Ringgold:
SFALCO:

Props to you and your ability to present a solid argument without resorting to name-calling and silly slogans! You are an enjoyable poster, in my Top 10, but then again, so is JacketsRule (BOR #1) You tend to keep your arguments logical, and do not get caught up in subtle slander against GT, like other DAWG posters (NFD) Only horrible post you ever made was in regards to Ron Rogers!

(ok, let me have it, BW!)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ringold...I AGREE with you...Sfalco is a gentleman and he and I have, i thought been pretty civil...We just DISAGREE....I got after him pretty hard a couple days ago..But appologized to him...He is OK...We just Disagree and this Thread had gone on WAY too long and i suggested he take it the Vent....
I think we all get TOO serious at times...That is why the Fans of College Football are SO PASSIONATE...I know of no other sport where fans take it so seriously....

Jacketsrule..I feel the same way....

I guess i get a little TOO into it..When someone gets real negative and makes smartalic remarks such as OH he just got offered by Tulsa or south Florida...In other words they are slamming our Coach or a player on a PUBLIC Forum for all to see...And i will have to admit i got somewhat negative in the early 90's under Lewis but i in NO way shape or Form see any comparison to our Current Situation with Gailey...I love GT and see him as Bringing us a Winner......

Remind me again what I posted about Ron Rogers.

You guys can insinuate all you want. I can't stand the guy. When he comes over here I'm going to flame him no matter what you call it.

Why don't I like him? He has no grasp of reality. I and many others here have lived in many places and we all agree that Athens is just one of a dozen decent cow towns in the southeast. He has zero perspective and yet has the nerve to tell us we don't know what we are talking about.

I still haven't heard back on the Texas thing.
pat.gif

Back