Accolades for Coach Key

I like Key and am happy to see him getting positive media attention. But öööö man, slightly embarrassing how little the country must think of the state of your program that going 7-6 gets your coach national praise.

Granted that’s probably 8-5/9-4 with an average FBS schedule.

Funny thing is if we win those two games, we finish the season 8-4 and tied for second place in the ACC. Not sure how the three way tie breaker with us, Louisville and NC State would have worked out (we would have all been 6-2 in this scenario).

This one would’ve been a complicated tiebreak.

First is record against each other *if you all played each other* so that gets tossed since we didn’t play NCSU. Unfortunate b/c we win this one without the stipulation.

Second is record against common opponents. Looks to me like uva/miami are the only 2 common opponents. We all went 2-0 against them.

Third repeats second in order of standings, but again we were all 2-0 so doesn’t matter.

Fourth is combined win % of all opponents. UL .484, NCSU .453, Tech .390. So we would’ve finished 4th.

Interesting that FSU didn’t play any of these 3 teams. Their opponent win% was .375.

In fairness, Key gets an A for not losing the team after BG. In fact, they hit their stride after that. Pennywise would have had another 3-9 disaster on his hands.

He definitely gets credit for not losing the team and improving throughout the season. He also gets credit for rebounding after Clemson. But he loses points for both of those losses.

If he can get a competent defensive staff, he should be in good shape.

I like Key and am happy to see him getting positive media attention. But öööö man, slightly embarrassing how little the country must think of the state of your program that going 7-6 gets your coach national praise.

We won at the right time, which is the end of year. Plus we made a good showing against uga being maybe their second toughest game.
UL had the opposite problem with late season losses.

He gets an A for 2023. Same performance in 2024 gets a C- or D+

He gets an A for 2023. Same performance in 2024 gets a C- or D+

Id go B. The flip of the offense and hanging in there thru a tough schedule to get a bowl win is solid work. Also seems like a positive culture is being instilled and we’re not losing a ton of guys that are both contributing and haven’t already graduated.

But being up 14 at home to BG and getting blown out is a letter grade drop on its own. We’re getting some positive press right now, but we’d have significantly more momentum without that on our resumé. That one still hurts.

Another tough schedule next year, we don’t have a DC, and are losing a lot of our starters on a defense that already wasn’t good. On paper 7-5 would probably be another solid coaching job. If we land a good DC hire I could see realistically dreaming bigger, but we can’t expect to win every game 46-42.

People are treating the BG loss like it was to Citadel.

BG was not a bad team. Maybe at the time, they were perceived that way. But they ended up going 7-6 and two of their losses were to Michigan and Liberty.

Context is important here and I think people forget just how bad we were under the Clown Regime. It's night and day in one season.

Solid A.

Geezus get over BG and move on already. Both sides, get rid of Miami win also. Let's look forward.

Future is strong, he'll go get a solid DC, marrying up w/a soon to be great OC that probably only has one or two years left here, before finding a head coaching job. It's all about understanding continuous improvement and succession planning, building a sustainable program. He's experienced the Saban model and has watched what CKS has done at ugag. It's now all about execution. 7-8 wins with a difficult schedule is achievable in 2024. Rome wasn't built in a day, but certainly can be torn apart in 3 years!

We've got the right guy finally. LFG!!

I don’t think it’s a surprise. You don’t have to look at what the country thinks to know the state of our program. I’ve seen the stands every game this season. When you go from winning 3 games a year to making a bowl game and winning it, yeah the coach will get national praise for it. Now we build on it, stop losing games we should win, and look at ACCCG and beating uga.

Key is an A for how the team finished. I think Brohm likely deserves an A- maybe B+ and only because they did lose their last 2 games.

Prime with a B is BS. C+ at best if you want to give him credit for all the intangibles.
You can't lose to BG and get an A. I love Key but an A means almost no room for improvement and that's not the case.

I don’t think it’s a surprise. You don’t have to look at what the country thinks to know the state of our program. I’ve seen the stands every game this season. When you go from winning 3 games a year to making a bowl game and winning it, yeah the coach will get national praise for it. Now we build on it, stop losing games we should win, and look at ACCCG and beating uga.
The student section showed up this season. The UGAg game they couldn't even make it through the portal and we're jammed up still in the 2nd quarter. The police had to clear the portal.

As the article says, "Oh, and all grades aren’t equal, either, considering expectations and context."

The preseason expectations they set had Key finishing 5-7, Prime with 4 wins, and Brohm shooting for a minimum of 9 wins with an easy schedule, but they lost the last three when the schedule got tougher.

The student section showed up this season. The UGAg game they couldn't even make it through the portal and we're jammed up still in the 2nd quarter. The police had to clear the portal.
Do we need more student seating for next year?

Back