Accolades for Coach Key

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?

Brent Key, Georgia Tech
Sometimes the vibe around a team is just … interesting. There’s an energy under Key - starting with the second half turnaround after he took over last year - and it all worked in a blast of a campaign that was all over the place.

Georgia Tech started out 2-3, the remaining schedule seemed daunting, and a fifth straight losing season appeared to be a lock. And then came the miracle in Miami, a thriller over North Carolina, and the team just kept on finding wins until it became bowl eligible for the first time since 2018.

Brent Key, Georgia Tech
11973123.jpeg
(Photo: Getty)

Regular Season Grade: A

If not for Jeff Brohm, Key would have a strong case for ACC Coach of the Year. Georgia Tech faced backlash for promoting from within instead of pursuing outside options, but it paid off. At 6-6, the Yellow Jackets are bowl-eligible for the first time since 2016 and ended their regular season with an encouraging one-score loss to No. 1 Georgia. Finding quarterback Haynes King in the portal was a revelation as Georgia Tech's offense went from averaging 17.2 points last season to 31.2 points this year.

Brent Key, Georgia Tech
11973123.jpeg
(Photo: Getty)

If not for Jeff Brohm, Key would have a strong case for ACC Coach of the Year. Georgia Tech faced backlash for promoting from within instead of pursuing outside options, but it paid off. At 6-6, the Yellow Jackets are bowl-eligible for the first time since 2016 and ended their regular season with an encouraging one-score loss to No. 1 Georgia. Finding quarterback Haynes King in the portal was a revelation as Georgia Tech's offense went from averaging 17.2 points last season to 31.2 points this year.
I also like to forget about the Quicklane Bowl

Brent Key, Georgia Tech
Sometimes the vibe around a team is just … interesting. There’s an energy under Key - starting with the second half turnaround after he took over last year - and it all worked in a blast of a campaign that was all over the place.

Georgia Tech started out 2-3, the remaining schedule seemed daunting, and a fifth straight losing season appeared to be a lock. And then came the miracle in Miami, a thriller over North Carolina, and the team just kept on finding wins until it became bowl eligible for the first time since 2018.

I can already see it now, Key wins National Coach of the Year then finishes 8th for ACC Coach of the Year.

No, it’s because Mack Brown will still get more votes, despite more underachieving
I like Mack Brown, but I think it’s just about time for him to retire. I would hate to see him do like Bobby Bowden and stay too long.

At 6-6, the Yellow Jackets are bowl-eligible for the first time since 2016 and ended their regular season with an encouraging one-score loss to No. 1 Georgia.

Jesus Christ, that's just some lazy öööö right there. Kinda easy to look up that kind of stuff, ya know?

Back