Tough day for the Roof haters

Can any defensive whizzes on the board tell me what the team is doing differently defensively this year that is making them so much more effective on defense?

I feel like this is the most talented defense that Tech has had since Paul Johnson's first season, top to bottom. The defensive line, in the past, was lucky in some years to have two decent players on it let alone have a two deep that was worth anything. They don't have any single guy like Gotsis you can point to as a stud, but as a group they seem to be doing a lot stouter against the run and they get push and collapse the pocket against the pass. Linebacking corps is experienced and smart, if a little slow afoot, and the secondary is experienced and well schooled, despite being a little small at corner. Roof's recruited his bag off the past few years and it's starting to bear fruit and it looks like it could be sustainable.

I worry less about the defense's consistency these days than I do about the offense.

The Ceiling is Ted Roof

ceilingistheroof_mj.jpg

The D was really good. Still not dominant on the LOS (don’t know that we’ll ever be) but they made plays, even there, and played very well today.

The D was really good. Still not dominant on the LOS (don’t know that we’ll ever be) but they made plays, even there, and played very well today.

On radio they said that at the half they told the D linemen not to be afraid of making a mistake by being too aggressive. Funny to think about, but I suppose they could be playing a bit too cautiously at times.

We really missed Mitchell, glad he is back.

Giving up that 4th and 13 after tipping the ball up in the air and heading it to the receiver almost made me turn off the computer but the offense came through in the end.

That tip was craziness wasn't it? Happened in the Miami game as well, right?

Props to Roof. We were very aggressive for much of the game yesterday and it clearly worked. Our guys look athletic, well coached, and we even have some depth. Considering all of the young talent we have on defense, I think the future is as bright as it's been since the Tenuta days.

This is a huge complement to our defense

_20171112_080555.JPG
Yes, though actually I took it as a compliment to the CPJ clock-eating offense. No secret that a CPJ game means fewer snaps for everybody.

Back