Tough day for the Roof haters

I was almost on the fire Roof bandwagon early last season, but I'm fine with him now. As maddening as certain sequences in the Miami game were, when you play a good team, you have to pick your poison defensively. Our defense this season has been able to shut down lousy teams and give us a chance against good teams. On the whole, the defense is looking up, and so is the recruiting. I don't think it's time to start over or try another experiment.

He's fine in almost every scenario except for long 3rd downs and 1-2 minute drills. Frustrating. What I do love about Roof is the recruiting.

It's interesting that he's paid so well-- if Johnson did not eliminate the need for an OC, I wonder if the GTAA would pay that well for each coordinator.

I was almost on the fire Roof bandwagon early last season, but I'm fine with him now. As maddening as certain sequences in the Miami game were, when you play a good team, you have to pick your poison defensively. Our defense this season has been able to shut down lousy teams and give us a chance against good teams. On the whole, the defense is looking up, and so is the recruiting. I don't think it's time to start over or try another experiment.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Not to mention this tasty stat (granted, there's still a lot of football left to play):

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Not to mention this tasty stat (granted, there's still a lot of football left to play):

And as CPJ said on the radio show, how you do on 3rd down is heavily dependent on how you do on 1st and 2nd down.

Can any defensive whizzes on the board tell me what the team is doing differently defensively this year that is making them so much more effective on defense?

I'm fine with it. It's not like there are a bunch of D coordinators who could do a better job.

The defense has been pretty solid for the most part. I am hoping they can stay healthy and keep improving but it is just a matter of time until the other teams realize they can just run their two minute offense all game and put 70 on the board.

ohlawd.gif

I like Ted. I think he coaches players to be fundamentally sound. He is a good recruiter. He loves Georgia Tech. My consistent complaint is with his two minute drill defense. I wish CPJ would tell him to be more aggressive in those situations - no argument if we get burned occasionally. Don't be afraid to blitz off the edge, or to bring the corners up. Anything but to play a slot receiver like Berrios with a ten yard cushions. But, I am fine with him as DC.

Back