Tough day for the Roof haters

I'm as much of a CPJ fan as anyone, but he definitely has a strong personality that can clash with people who don't see eye to eye with him. CTR gets along with him better than any other DC that we've had, and that might be the hardest skill set to replace. Defensive recruiting and performance are improving, regardless of how much some fans want to judge it on the basis of one game or one drive.

Can any defensive whizzes on the board tell me what the team is doing differently defensively this year that is making them so much more effective on defense?

Sky run support

I like CTR. Recruiting has been very good. Defense has improved as his players have grown in his system.

Can any defensive whizzes on the board tell me what the team is doing differently defensively this year that is making them so much more effective on defense?
I've been wondering the same thing. Honestly, I think the main difference is the defensive line. I think our DBs have been fairly good most years, and our LBs have been average. That's still true this year. The difference is DL. We had a problem getting beat on 3rd and long because we couldn't get any pressure at all with a 4 man rush, so we'd get picked apart. This year our DT's (esp. Branch) are collapsing the pocket, preventing the QB from being able to step up as easily, so our edge rushers are whiffing less.

I've been wondering the same thing. Honestly, I think the main difference is the defensive line. I think our DBs have been fairly good most years, and our LBs have been average. That's still true this year. The difference is DL. We had a problem getting beat on 3rd and long because we couldn't get any pressure at all with a 4 man rush, so we'd get picked apart. This year our DT's (esp. Branch) are collapsing the pocket, preventing the QB from being able to step up as easily, so our edge rushers are whiffing less.

The defensive backs have been noticeably better this year. Gray is a ball hawk and the Austin brothers are just solid and sound backs. I think that has helped give the line more time to crash. Overall everyone is just better.

The defensive backs have been noticeably better this year. Gray is a ball hawk and the Austin brothers are just solid and sound backs. I think that has helped give the line more time to crash. Overall everyone is just better.
I'm certainly not a defensive genius, but I think this is it. Our d backs are able to play a lot of one on one and are successful. This gives us a lot more options.

I heard he reacted well after reading the contract. Signed so hard on the dotted line that he bent his pen. Damn near broke it.

Bet he was calling his agent to get this thing done as soon Miami lined up to kick

If things goes badly Saturday, extending him would've been very unpopular

I'm certainly not a defensive genius, but I think this is it. Our d backs are able to play a lot of one on one and are successful. This gives us a lot more options.
Perhaps, but I think our DB's have been about as good most years. In 2014 we had DJ White and Chris Milton, among others, and we still gave up a ton of points. Even guys like Louis Young, Isaiah Johnson, Jemea Thomas, etc. were solid players back there, but their defenses were so much worse than our current defense. I feel like the defense has improved everywhere, but IMO the biggest is our DL, which has gone from pretty terrible to decent. Our DB's our definitely the strength of the defense, I'm just saying that's pretty much been par for the course since 2009.

This article was dated March 2, 2015. Didn't see anything in it about $800,000 thru 2019.

This article was dated March 2, 2015. Didn't see anything in it about $800,000 thru 2019.
The OP cut and pasted from the AJC article, which resulted in him inadvertently pasting a link to the 2015 article that the new article references. Here's the new article confirming OP's comments. (I feel like I did a good deed today.)

Perhaps, but I think our DB's have been about as good most years. In 2014 we had DJ White and Chris Milton, among others, and we still gave up a ton of points. Even guys like Louis Young, Isaiah Johnson, Jemea Thomas, etc. were solid players back there, but their defenses were so much worse than our current defense. I feel like the defense has improved everywhere, but IMO the biggest is our DL, which has gone from pretty terrible to decent. Our DB's our definitely the strength of the defense, I'm just saying that's pretty much been par for the course since 2009.
Good point. Golden was a badass too.

Defense looks pitiful, but that isn't unique to Roof. Our defense has never been that good under Johnson. What's the likelihood that changes if we go to DC #4 (#5 if you count Kelly filling in)?

Back