The Reggie Ball Years

Same. We were both there at Texh with him, Calvin, Phillip Wheeler, etc. those were the days.
It was amazing to watch Wheeler and Guyton flow to the ball, keeping their heads up, using their hands to get through blockers, keeping their balance, and making the play.

I still can't get over that 4th down. I just can't....

This came up earlier this year too, and I spent some time looking for it with no success. I’d be interested to see it again as well. I have a mental picture, but not sure how it holds up. Pretty sure he was wearing a white shirt. There may have been something written on it (maybe even written in red), but I know it wasn’t UGA gear.

For the record, I don’t like it regardless, just worried eventually people are going to claim he was captured on video barking and singing their fight song.
Correct on the white shirt. No signs of red and black. He could've wandered over from the Auburn section for all know.

fullsizerender-jpg.2671

Correct on the white shirt. No signs of red and black. He could've wandered over from the Auburn section for all know.

fullsizerender-jpg.2671
Wandered over from the Auburn section? Really? That's your play?

And pitch the damn ball and we beat Tennessee

I was at the 2006 UGA game. The refs totally blew a call when they did not blow the whistle on a massive pile up when the play was obviously over. A UGA player came running out of the pileup and the refs just stood there like a bunch of dummies. Also, it took Gailey more than half the game to realize all we had to do was pound them with Choice. The game should have been over by the end of the 3rd quarter. Then to top things off on 4th and inches and UGA having no answer for Choice Gailey kicks a FG. I remember Choice pitching a fit. Gailey couldn’t have gift wrapped that game more. I have to give Chan credit, he recruited fairly well, had a good DC, and the team was well coached, but he ran a 1980’s NFL offense. We should have averaged 9 wins a year during his tenure and Ball would have been a legend.

I was at the 2006 UGA game. The refs totally blew a call when they did not blow the whistle on a massive pile up when the play was obviously over. A UGA player came running out of the pileup and the refs just stood there like a bunch of dummies. Also, it took Gailey more than half the game to realize all we had to do was pound them with Choice. The game should have been over by the end of the 3rd quarter. Then to top things off on 4th and inches and UGA having no answer for Choice Gailey kicks a FG. I remember Choice pitching a fit. Gailey couldn’t have gift wrapped that game more. I have to give Chan credit, he recruited fairly well, had a good DC, and the team was well coached, but he ran a 1980’s NFL offense. We should have averaged 9 wins a year during his tenure and Ball would have been a legend.
Not only that, the refs were actively interfering with the play. It should have been dead ball.

Did the same thing when Justin Thomas had the ball stripped from him in the end zone and the homer refs gifted UGAg a 100 yards TD

He was playing well as a freshman (before Calvin got there). The biggest issue was that he essentially never got better and kept that freshman inconsistency throughout his whole career. How much of that is on him and how much is on the coaching staff is up for debate.

Also, I know he would lower his shoulder to get tough yards, unlike the player in your avatar.

The coaching staff seemed to do a good job developing other positions. They would get guys not highly rated and turn them into NFL players. The one exception being QB and it was maddening.

Not only that, the refs were actively interfering with the play. It should have been dead ball.

Did the same thing when Justin Thomas had the ball stripped from him in the end zone and the homer refs gifted UGAg a 100 yards TD
100%! one ref was literally pulling players off the pile, then uga runs it back. And JT actually scored on that play in 2014. There’s a picture showing the ball crossing the plane. Not to mention forward progress was stalled for about 10 minutes. Same game they faked a field goal, and ran it inside the 10. Their end blocker was without doubt holding our edge guy in the flat in front of the run and refs. Both of their blocked kicks (1 fg, 1 extra point in OT) they ran straight up the middle over the center to block, which is penalty too. We should have won that game by two touchdowns. Their fumbles were legit, the bad calls weren’t.

Which lead to me walking upstairs to the kitchen and on the way punching a hole in the wall of my basement stairwell. Just glad I hit drywall only and not a stud.

Yep. It was awful.
2006 georgia georgia tech game.png

Great to hear the quality announcers calling these games..

Saved me a post. Reggie was nowhere near as controversial. And why would anyone even consider putting Ball and Sims in the same sentence. Sims is literally the worst QB I have ever seen take a snap for GT. Well, maybe 1/4" better than that guy - what was his name... Booker?
AJ Suggs

Reggie ran out of the back of the end zone for a safety against VT when he really wasn't being pressured. Should never have played another down as QB after that. We lost the momentum and the game. We wasted so much talent in his last two years. Nix was terrible, but it was a symbiotic relationship between he and Ball. Justin Thomas or Godsey gets us in the NC game in 2006 without a doubt. Gailey could recruit everything but a QB.

Was Reginald really better than Sims?

Sims had an arm. If he had a receiver like CJ, he could just lob it 40 yds downfield and get receptions and TDs. Sims had far more talent than Reginald.

Back