Paul Johnson interview

Believe me, the thing that would bother him the most would be if everybody associated with Tech just ignored him and treated him with the same level of interest we would show for the Defensive Coordinator of The Citadel. I think he would love for the game to be about him.

I have enjoyed Tech upsetting UNC the last few years, but NC has better athletes than they've shown against us lately. They are due to play a good game against us. Also, Collins does have a good history as a Defensive Coordinator and recruiter. I expect him to do a good job for NC in those areas.

I hope we win, but I think we should act like we've completely forgotten about him. Any attention we give him will make his day. He is so far back in the rearview mirror that we shouldn't be able to see him anymore. If anything, we should give him an award at midfield before the game for bringing Brent Key back to Tech.

I wouldn't make the game about Collins by burning an effigy of him; but late in the game when it is obvious UNC is going to lose and we are death marching down the field with Collins defense on the field, I would love to hear the announcer announce "IT"S MONEYDOWN!" followed by "AND HERE"S ANOTHER MONEY DOWN".

I doubt Collins ever comes to Bobby Dodd with UNC. I think this will be Mack’s last season there and the next coach will clean house and definitely won’t want Collins to stay because UNC will actually pay for a legit coach who will know the deal.

I would like to hear the booing though. Maybe we can throw a trash can full of 3rd down fake money on the field.

Rubbish, the dude is a ööööing loser, horrible coach, petty, vindictive, unprofessional, and is downright imbecilec at every level. We saw a pathetic display of leadership, the complete antithesis of what Tech is all about. All of this "soft language", is annoying. It actually gives him some sort of accolades that he absolutely never earned here and does not deserve in any way shape or form. I don't give two öööös about what he did elsewhere. He was terrible at Tech and then has taken every opportunity to öööö all over Tech and it's players. Sometimes people are just scum and deserve all the scorn, and he's one of them. And if he has some sort of ejaculatory response to this sort of attention honestly I don't care, because we all know that's bullshit too. This whole line of reasoning is backwards because it's predicated on what he thinks, i.e. you take your actions based on what he may or may not feel, then you're letting him drive the way you think and act.

Everything about him is fake, he's completely insecure, you can see that in how he reacts to simple questions at press conferences or anything really. Seriously how is this not completely obvious.

It doesn't mean you have to be mad about it or be holding some anger etc, but these things are all true and will always be true. I don't understand the impetus behind aww shucks let's just be friendly about the guy. If individually that's how someone wants to be, of course there's no problem with that but enough with the we should do this and we should do that nonsense. It just sounds like a bunch of god forsaken virtue signaling.

So tell us how you really feel j/k and agree with you. The “good coordinator” narrative shall too pass.

At the beginning of the interview he mentions how the school has had to change due to the portal and that he had to go all the way to the President to get a Stanford grad student transfer approved (Patrick Skov I assume). We really were our own worst enemy at times.
And we still are at times.

I haven't had the time yet to listen past the 15 minute mark. What was Key's "small ball comment"?

He said that when he first came here. I don't really blame him for it. Since taking over he's been respectful of CPJ and his players and I get the impression he's trying to mend fences after the disaster that preceded him.

Not I. CPJ was an obvious hall of famer who won us an Orange Bowl and some of us were smart enough to appreciate what we had. Tried to be excited about Collins, but I never understood why any of our fans trashed the 3O/CPJ in lockstep with clownface (you know who you are).
To that end, in the early days - perhaps more on TOS than here - I called out Clown's statements about the OL being an average of 6-1, 260 (asking the musical question do Kenny Cooper and Conner Hansen look anywhere close to 260?) and about how Tech was in bowl games every year when he was growing up (I looked up Tech's bowl record from the time he was 7 until he was 18. Tech went to a bowl game. One. In 11 years.)
Our media did us a disservice by not delving into those statements, so the fan base took them at face value. Mind you, it turned out to be clown makeup face value, but still.
I got shouted down and thought, fine, there will come a day when his true colors are shown to all and there is mistaking that he is FOS.
That day came. And though we probably had to move away from the triple as the base, in retrospect, hiring Clown was one of the worst decisions in Tech athletics history.
And as I said on TOS, I come to bury Clown, not to praise him.

I haven't had the time yet to listen past the 15 minute mark. What was Key's "small ball comment"?
In the early days, Key said "no more small ball."
I didn't know we were bunting and moving runners over, but whatever.

PJ also still seems to bristle that no one put the brakes on Clown's garbage, either publicly or privately, though Key really wasn't in the position to do that at the time. And it also didn't take long for Key to realize just how FOS Clown really was and had to be convinced to stay (re: the Mark Teixeira story).
Who knows, maybe Key was under orders to say stuff like "no more small ball" at the beginning in order to set a new tone.
But at least Key has reached out to PJ and PJ seems receptive to the idea of being involved again. They could have a beer summit to get everything worked out. Don't think Brent plays golf, so that's out.

After sending the link to the interview to a bunch of my friends, one of them responded with something I had never heard before, regarding an argument between Key and Collins. I have no idea if it is true or not, but it sure could be. Judge for yourselves:

Did you hear about the argument that Key and Collins supposedly had in Collins's office when Key thought he was leaving for the SC job? I wasn't there. I heard about if from fourth level people. (people who know and talked to people who work in the athletic department and heard it through the walls) Apparently Key made comments that you can't win ball games if you run practices like a night club instead of like football practice. To which Collins responded that with the players on the team, they aren't going to be able to win games anyway, so he wanted the players to have a good time until they could bring in highly rated players. That would have been in 2021, so Collins would have had two full years of his recruits. The guy is a nut. Style over substance.

It would seem to me that if that argument actually happened, and Key didn't immediately bolt for USCe, then somebody must have told Key to hang in there a bit longer, because his day in the sun, so to speak, was imminent. Just a guess on my part, but why wouldn't he have left?

My friend closed out his email with the following, much of which I was already aware of. But it doesn't hurt to be reminded of it all:

I think CPJ knows a lot of stuff like that, and he knows what all of the problems were when the ACC head coach called him to tell him the program was a disaster. I remember an interview with Jordan Yates (after he left) in which he said that in the mutt game in 2021, one of the defensive linemen walked up to him on the field and told him that the GT players weren't prepared and didn't seem to know what they were doing. He said that he responded that the guy was correct. I have no idea what Collins was doing, but he wasn't trying to win games or build a program.

So tell us how you really feel j/k and agree with you. The “good coordinator” narrative shall too pass.

Yeah, that will probably happen by mid season. If the pattern holds there will be some early success just due to talent/luck, which will overly inflate the hype machine but once adversity hits in earnest the wheels will come off and the tru-goeff will show through. The extent to which that happens depends on how much control Collins is given. It's very possible this ends up with a Mack Brown overdose, as he wrestles with the magnitude of what he has allowed to happen on his watch.

For those that don't agree, that's fine, no issue there, and I know the language makes it sound like an unhinged rant, but it's actually just fact. That's how bad Collins was.

Collins is no factor to me. I don't get any twinge when his name is brought up. But this line of thinking of "let's ignore him en masse because that is what will bother him the most" illustrates exactly the opposite.

This type of thing is a part of sports, and well it is just plain fun sometimes. What's next, let's not smack talk uga anymore because that's just mean and we can be better people than that? pfft, maybe go enter a bridge tournament, although I bet they have their moments too.

To that end, in the early days - perhaps more on TOS than here - I called out Clown's statements about the OL being an average of 6-1, 260 (asking the musical question do Kenny Cooper and Conner Hansen look anywhere close to 260?) and about how Tech was in bowl games every year when he was growing up (I looked up Tech's bowl record from the time he was 7 until he was 18. Tech went to a bowl game. One. In 11 years.)
Our media did us a disservice by not delving into those statements, so the fan base took them at face value. Mind you, it turned out to be clown makeup face value, but still.
I got shouted down and thought, fine, there will come a day when his true colors are shown to all and there is mistaking that he is FOS.
That day came. And though we probably had to move away from the triple as the base, in retrospect, hiring Clown was one of the worst decisions in Tech athletics history.
And as I said on TOS, I come to bury Clown, not to praise him.

There were more than a few on here that swore that our short underweight OL was the gospel truth and nothing could sway them. It was like they were in some cult or something. They convinced themselves that CPJ purposely recruited short underweight OL to run the triple option. There are still fonts on here that believe the CGC story that CPJ was a lazy recruiter that never visited high schools.

Back