Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Where did this crop of utter assholes come from, anyway? If you’re a big enough asshole to stick out on this board, that’s quite an accomplishment (and not in a good way) and we’ve had like 5 of them show up in the last year.

JRjr
A Greyhound of Swarm immigrants was bussed in

Where did this crop of utter assholes come from, anyway? If you’re a big enough asshole to stick out on this board, that’s quite an accomplishment (and not in a good way) and we’ve had like 5 of them show up in the last year.

JRjr

The Stingtalk asshole farm, of course.

But_It%27s_Honest_Work.jpg

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results”
Not to mention diminishing returns. I can’t put money into something I’ve become fairly apathetic towards. So I guess I’m not really a fan anymore. Maybe just a slightly nostalgic neutral observer of what Tech athletics has become. Seeing the embarrassing losses the last few years has been relatively painless as a result.
I guess we just need to come to grips with what Dave Braine said years ago. It cut deep when he said it but it's been over 15 years now. I mean Johnson won more than nine games once and people to take a s*** all over him all the time. But I digress. Mediocre in the ACC is probably our average. We have a chance to make some noise every so often. It is what it is man.

I guess we just need to come to grips with what Dave Braine said years ago. It cut deep when he said it but it's been over 15 years now. I mean Johnson won more than nine games once and people to take a s*** all over him all the time. But I digress. Mediocre in the ACC is probably our average. We have a chance to make some noise every so often. It is what it is man.

Never go full Dave Braine. He was wrong then and he's wrong now, and he'll be wrong till the day Jesus comes back.

Nothing about this hire is the same thing as before. I legitimately believe based on his post game reactions and pressers that we have our version of Pat Fitzgerald. The team became very disciplined relative to where they were in half a season. The team started playing tough football. We were not a team you wanted to play. If you want to throw UVA and FSU around as failures when our starting QB decided to quit feel free. I think Key is a good college coach with potential to be great surrounded by the right staff. I was a Key hater and I need some clarification about what he did while on other staff’s relative to recruiting players away from us and not even to HIS programs because he did not like what CPJ was doing. But he clearly loves Georgia Tech, understands what this team needs, and gets the UGA rivalry. We could have found something special. Let’s let it play out. Improvement merely means respectability again. I think we’ll get there and then maybe we’ll look to make the leap to greatness if we haven’t already gotten there. High floor. Unknown ceiling. Collins was always a low floor high ceiling potential. It was clear he was radically different. Key is not radically different and can activate the players to play well. That alone will have us win about 4-5 games a year. The rest will be up to preparation and recruiting.
The only real improvement in team performance came on the defensive side. That gives hope for Thacker’s ability but not so much for Key. Once Collins was gone the defense flipped the script and was the single thing making Tech competitive.

Maybe so. But imo that’s because Tech has chosen that course.

CPJ did it twice, 2009 and 2014.

Dave Braine was probably right but it's a dumb thing to say out loud and in the way he said it. Probably 99% of schools don't win nine games a year consistently. That is really hard to do.

CPJ did it twice, 2009 and 2014.

Dave Braine was probably right but it's a dumb thing to say out loud and in the way he said it. Probably 99% of schools don't win nine games a year consistently. That is really hard to do.

Dammit man he's wrong. We are a major CFB program in the center of the sport. Our limits are self imposed by our snobbery. The moment we get serious about this sport, the sky is the limit.

Dammit man he's wrong. We are a major CFB program in the center of the sport. Our limits are self imposed by our snobbery. The moment we get serious about this sport, the sky is the limit.

Even most major CFB programs can't do that.

Let's defining "winning 9+ games consistently" as doing it at least 60% of the time. Over the past decade, there are only eight P5 programs who have managed to do that.

Georgia Tech can be a very good CFB program. We can finish top 10 in the country every few years and even compete for a national title with the expanded playoff. But I think being a top 10 program in the nation every year is probably out of our reach, as it is for most schools.

That said, I certainly wouldn't bring that up during a press conference if I was the AD.

Even most major CFB programs can't do that.

Let's defining "winning 9+ games consistently" as doing it at least 60% of the time. Over the past decade, there are only eight P5 programs who have managed to do that.

Georgia Tech can be a very good CFB program. We can finish top 10 in the country every few years and even compete for a national title with the expanded playoff. But I think being a top 10 program in the nation every year is probably out of our reach, as it is for most schools.

That said, I certainly wouldn't bring that up during a press conference if I was the AD.

There's a vast gulf between being top 10 every year and Braine being right. Besides that, there is absolutely nothing Clemson can do that we can't. The reason we don't is because we aren't serious about football. Yet.

There's a vast gulf between being top 10 every year and Braine being right. Besides that, there is absolutely nothing Clemson can do that we can't. The reason we don't is because we aren't serious about football. Yet.

I hope you are right and I hope we get serious about it. I would really enjoy being a top 5 program over next five to ten years.

I just hope that a couple dozen other schools don't also get serious about football too, it will be tough for us all to be top 5.

I hope you are right and I hope we get serious about it. I would really enjoy being a top 5 program over next five to ten years.

I just hope that a couple dozen other schools don't also get serious about football too, it will be tough for us all to be top 5.

If every school in the FBS were maxing out their potential simultaneously we'd be a top 15 program. We've got that ceiling. How far below it we are just proves how dumb we have been.

Back