Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Key was public enemy No 1b behind Collins for 3 years. People were pissed Collins hired him in the first place. His one responsibility on the team has been absolute garbage for 3 years. Are we really acting like none of that happened because we squeaked past Pitt and UNC with him as interim coach?
Right, he was ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH for the entire time before he was interim yet apparently he bears no responsibility for the awfulness...

Somehow Collins, who could not even manage to do a radio show without having an assistant coach do most of it for him, and rarely talked about actual football, is imagined to be a micromanager who was holding Key back.

No, of course not. He also covered the spread against U[sic]GA!

More seriously, as a fan, it's very easy for me to get excited about Key. He gives fantastic press conferences, he's an alum who clearly bleeds white and gold, and he delivered some inspiring wins during a very difficult situation this year. I understand that has little to nothing to do with whether he would be a great coach, but it does mean he's a guy I'm rooting like hell for, and I'll be sad to see him go.

Without any of that stuff, it's tough to get excited about a 62 year old coach who has had a losing conference record five out of the past seven seasons. As it would be tough to get excited about Key if he had no connection to the school and lost more of his games as IC.
He didn’t bleed white and gold when he was negatively recruiting against us at one of his former posts.

For the record, I don’t care that he recruited against us and how he did it when he worked elsewhere. That’s the job.

He didn’t bleed white and gold when he was negatively recruiting against us at one of his former posts.

I'm surprised you care about that enough to use it as an argument against being excited for Key. All coaches negatively recruit against other schools, even if it's their alma mater -- that's the job!

For the record, I don’t care that he recruited against us and how he did it when he worked elsewhere. That’s the job.
Glad we agree.

I'm surprised you care about that enough to use it as an argument against being excited for Key. All coaches negatively recruit against other schools, even if it's their alma mater -- that's the job!

Glad we agree.
The point being, it’s a job that he wants. He’s answering the interview questions right. If a better and higher paying job came available, he would likely take off. So the Tech man “I love this place” stuff doesn’t go far with me.

Glad we agree.
Also was he negatively recruiting GT or the current GT coach at the time?

Tulane 2-10 in 2021 with Chip Long as OC
10-2 this year with new OC Jim Svoboda…

bring this guy along and I’m happy

More likely leaked by agent of coach being interviewed in an attempt to get better offer from existing school or other schools.....
Starting to be my theory.....Fritz is using us to get a raise at Tulane. And WTF was he doing here today supposedly? They have a conference championship game at home Saturday. Most important Tulane game in decades and their head coach is in Atlanta interviewing for another job instead of game planning. I'd be pissed if I was a Tulane fan.

You're killin' me, Ken. I was going to be happy and excited with either Key or Chadwell. I actually wouldn't have minded BOB. Willie Fritz is really out of left field and not in a good way. I'm going to find it tough to get excited about him.

Of course I'll get on board and look forward to the season but this is kind of a gut punch right during a time when I had the most optimism about Tech football in four or five years.

Lmao what a ööööing beta CUCK, and he wants legitimacy.

The point being, it’s a job that he wants. He’s answering the interview questions right. If a better and higher paying job came available, he would likely take off. So the Tech man “I love this place” stuff doesn’t go far with me.

No doubt if you don't want to be excited about him, it's easy to do that too. In general I prefer to be optimistic and that's why I would've been really happy with either him or Chadwell, and was even on board with BOB despite the general consensus that he is mediocre and uninspiring.

Maybe I'll find a way to get excited about Fritz too. But my initial thoughts are that it's really tough to get past the fact that he has five losing conference records in seven seasons at Tulane. That doesn't mean he won't be successful here, but it makes it difficult for me to get excited about him.

Starting to be my theory.....Fritz is using us to get a raise at Tulane. And WTF was he doing here today supposedly? They have a conference championship game at home Saturday. Most important Tulane game in decades and their head coach is in Atlanta interviewing for another job instead of game planning. I'd be pissed if I was a Tulane fan.

Well, when are coaches supposed to interview? It's not like schools will wait a month for them to wrap up all of their games. The Sunday right after the last regular season game is probably as considerate and appropriate of a time as any.

No doubt if you don't want to be excited about him, it's easy to do that too. In general I prefer to be optimistic and that's why I would've been really happy with either him or Chadwell, and was even on board with BOB despite the general consensus that he is mediocre and uninspiring.

Maybe I'll find a way to get excited about Fritz too. But my initial thoughts are that it's really tough to get past the fact that he has five losing conference records in seven seasons at Tulane. That doesn't mean he won't be successful here, but it makes it difficult for me to get excited about him.
Would you take this guy as HC? Left column is overall and right is conference.
0818FC0D-5C67-4316-94B3-6DEBEAB0B360.jpeg

I think looking at record trajectory is better than looking at overall record. You don't expect someone to come in to a bad team and immediately win 8 or 9 games

Back