Official GT Head Coach News Thread

Does the OP have a source regarding Fritz NOT being a done deal? I’ve looked all over the Internet but can find no such information.

1669599266499.png

You're killin' me, Ken. I was going to be happy and excited with either Key or Chadwell. I actually wouldn't have minded BOB. Willie Fritz is really out of left field and not in a good way. I'm going to find it tough to get excited about him.

Of course I'll get on board and look forward to the season but this is kind of a gut punch right during a time when I had the most optimism about Tech football in four or five years.

This Willy guy seems like a slick one. This could be the biggest we look since the Bush years. If a couple balls bounce our way, Willy could explode onto the scene. Batt taking a shot on this could be money for our once respectable program.

You're killin' me, Ken. I was going to be happy and excited with either Key or Chadwell. I actually wouldn't have minded BOB. Willie Fritz is really out of left field and I'm going to find it really tough to get excited about him.

Of course I'll get on board and look forward to the season but this is a real gut punch right during a time when I had the most optimism about Tech football in four or five years.

You should be more excited for Fritz than Key.

This needs to wrap up soon. I'm going to go ahead and email my boss and inform him that while I might physically be at work I won't mentally be there and to not count on me for anything until the press conference has concluded.

Saddle up. There's other interviews scheduled for upcoming days. At least, that's what I'm hearing.

Keeping my source in confidence because I'm not a douchebag.

If Fritz is hired: He's a very good coach who is going to wreak havoc in a wide open ACC.

If Fritz is not hired: Beat it, old man. Sucks to suck!
Nah everything will probably be fine forever. That's what I'm expecting, and living for.

I'm not totally surprised by Fritz. I've thought since Collins left that he had a chance but his age made me wonder. He is a solid coach who will do well in gameday decisions. Can he recruit? We may see.

Key was public enemy No 1b behind Collins for 3 years. People were pissed Collins hired him in the first place. His one responsibility on the team has been absolute garbage for 3 years. Are we really acting like none of that happened because we squeaked past Pitt and UNC with him as interim coach?

No, of course not. He also covered the spread against U[sic]GA!

More seriously, as a fan, it's very easy for me to get excited about Key. He gives fantastic press conferences, he's an alum who clearly bleeds white and gold, and he delivered some inspiring wins during a very difficult situation this year. I understand that has little to nothing to do with whether he would be a great coach, but it does mean he's a guy I'm rooting like hell for, and I'll be sad to see him go.

Without any of that stuff, it's tough to get excited about a 62 year old coach who has had a losing conference record five out of the past seven seasons. As it would be tough to get excited about Key if he had no connection to the school and lost more of his games as IC.

Back