Mercedes-Benz Stadium

Seriously? A $1.2 billion project and somebody can't convert from metric? wtf
That's the rumor. Fabbed steel didn't fit, and they tracked the error down to that.

I have no first hand knowledge, just something I heard.

Seriously? A $1.2 billion project and somebody can't convert from metric? wtf
multiply inches by 2.54 or divide by it or something. It will be close enough. Wing it. Looks about right from here

-Lots of problems with construction, money, etc
-Didn't open until several years after it was slated to
-Ended up costing twice as much as planned
-Roof still didn't work when it opened (finally completed about 10 years later)
-Part of the roof collapsed about 12 years after that
-etc.
To be fair, 12 years from now the Falcons will ask for an new stadium anyway

That's the rumor. Fabbed steel didn't fit, and they tracked the error down to that.

I have no first hand knowledge, just something I heard.
BuroHappold is the structural engineer. They are a British firm. FWIW, they do not have any offices in Canada. They do have offices in NY, LA, SF, Boston, and Chicago.

It's also going to leak.

Don't forget, I called it first.

The roof won't seal perfectly if that is what you mean. Hopefully it is designed with a drainage system to keep water from going unintended places. Kinda like a sunroof on a car.

I'm told they fixed the structural issues that caused it to begin to collapse when being erected, but the mechanics of it opening and closing is still a problem. They will work on getting it closed and then leave it like that until after football is over and then try to fix the mechanical issues. Have they fired the architect yet?

I'm told they fixed the structural issues that caused it to begin to collapse when being erected, but the mechanics of it opening and closing is still a problem. They will work on getting it closed and then leave it like that until after football is over and then try to fix the mechanical issues. Have they fired the architect yet?
I expect there to be a big support column blocking the view from my seat, kind of like the columns used to be under the cover in the LE at GT

the structural issues that caused it to begin to collapse when being erected,
wut
They will work on getting it closed and then leave it like that until after football is over and then try to fix the mechanical issues. Have they fired the architect yet?
I don't think they have to "work" on getting it closed. They've had it open and closed twice in the past month or so if you watch the timelapse video.

Last edited:
CSB alert. Took a tour of the stadium a few weeks back with one of the Sr. PMs on the project. Went all over the stadium from field level, to locker rooms, to box seats to the roof itself (the climb up there is a bitch and nor for those scared of heights, as a couple guys in our group quickly found out). From what I recall, the roof will take 8 minutes to open and close once all is said and done. They have already opened/closed multiple times, and are making adjustments to ensure all seals properly align to prevent any leakage (he did not seem to have any fear of leaks once completed). The whole thing is quite the engineering marvel to see up close...<end csb>

And @ texstinger, AC works...

Factual information has already been posted ITT that says you don't know you are talking about.

CSB alert. Took a tour of the stadium a few weeks back with one of the Sr. PMs on the project. Went all over the stadium from field level, to locker rooms, to box seats to the roof itself (the climb up there is a bitch and nor for those scared of heights, as a couple guys in our group quickly found out). From what I recall, the roof will take 8 minutes to open and close once all is said and done. They have already opened/closed multiple times, and are making adjustments to ensure all seals properly align to prevent any leakage (he did not seem to have any fear of leaks once completed). The whole thing is quite the engineering marvel to see up close...<end csb>

And @ texstinger, AC works...
How was the shadow/spotlight issue? That looked pretty horrendous and likely not pleasant to play in or watch from.

Very few seats will get the sun but it will be nice and hot for the players?

I think night games it will be utilized more and maybe games in the late fall early winter

Timelapse of roof mechanism:

They may have been opening and closing it over the past few days. You can see from the panoramic shots on Monday it's fully open, Tuesday you can see the angled shadows indicating it's partially closed or closing, Wednesday it was almost completely closed, and yesterday it was closed.
mbs.jpg

They may have been opening and closing it over the past few days. You can see from the panoramic shots on Monday it's fully open, Tuesday you can see the angled shadows indicating it's partially closed or closing, Wednesday it was almost completely closed, and yesterday it was closed.
mbs.jpg
So the entire top sections of the seating are bleachers?!

Back