Mercedes-Benz Stadium

From what I hear the roof will be closed for the foreseeable future due to either problems with the mechanized open/close system or just for required occupancy testing. Whichever is the case doesn't matter, the roof will be closed for the college games and I imagine several weeks of NFL season. Once it's operational, I know they'll likely have to keep field lights on even for day games, but man this is still gonna be one hell of a shadow to play in.

597258322c6d2.image.jpg

I may get burned at the stake, but I am not a big fan of the roof nor the wrap around video board. The roof provides terrible shadows and will hardly be open during the day. The video board looks small and hard to read when the intention was to give everyone a view. I prefer the GA Dome.

I may get burned at the stake, but I am not a big fan of the roof nor the wrap around video board. The roof provides terrible shadows and will hardly be open during the day. The video board looks small and hard to read when the intention was to give everyone a view. I prefer the GA Dome.
I can't say whether I'm a fan or not of either until I experience it in person, but I think the video board will be fine. Pictures always mess with distance perception, and I believe in person the video board will appear much larger than the ones in the dome.

Even when/if the roof is truly functional, it will be a maintenance nightmare for years to come. @jacket67 said it best, style before function. Architects very rarely take into account that someone must maintain the monstrosities they create. Not their problem. Looking simply for the wow factor. Clam shell open/close design would have been much simpler & easier to maintain. Only two moving halves as opposed to the ridiculously complicated "petal" closing design. I predict the roof will stay closed for the majority of its lifetime.

-Lots of problems with construction, money, etc
-Didn't open until several years after it was slated to
-Ended up costing twice as much as planned
-Roof still didn't work when it opened (finally completed about 10 years later)
-Part of the roof collapsed about 12 years after that
-etc.

I think they tried to get too clever with the roof mechanism. They put style before function, and now they are stuck with something that is going to result in unexpected costs and delays, and might not be operational for some time. It should be a really nice facility, but the main advantage over the Georgia Dome was the retractable roof.
It's also going to leak.

Don't forget, I called it first.

It's just as tough putting all those pieces together in the air after the engineers say it all will work from the ground.
Canadian engineering. In metric. Steel fab guys borked their english-metric conversions.

At least that's the word around the campfire. Then the engineers had to try and back-figure a way to make it work with the steel that had already been erroneously fabbed.

I'd rather have something similar to how they modified Miami's stadium. Those screens look gimmicky and weird

Canadian engineering. In metric. Steel fab guys borked their english-metric conversions.

At least that's the word around the campfire. Then the engineers had to try and back-figure a way to make it work with the steel that had already been erroneously fabbed.
The rest of the world needs to chill with secretly trying to get us on the metric system. I already have to deal with Denier at work

Seriously? A $1.2 billion project and somebody can't convert from metric? wtf

Back