Jeff Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn’t about transferring. The guy played in 0 uga games. He quit on the team and got in an argument with his dad during a game about it. He’s a disgrace and owes our fanbase and team an apology.
Can you imagine giving that dude big NIL bucks and watching him quit like that? I was mad enough just as a rando fan.

It wasn’t about transferring. The guy played in 0 uga games. He quit on the team and got in an argument with his dad during a game about it. He’s a disgrace and owes our fanbase and team an apology.
This.

We don't mind the transfer. He just quit several times at GT with the final one ending in a public spat with dad
It’s only one game… Nebraska was 7.5 dogs. Sims can still be a good player for them.

This thread is overly petty. I’m not upset Sims isn’t on the team and don’t like how he quit midseason, but it was best for everyone he find somewhere new to play.
The shine has worn off already....

Screenshot_20230901-092920~2.png

Here’s what’s crazy … Sims was 2-0 under Key and had two very good outings against Pitt and Duke. No doubt we would have boat raced UVA if Sims had been able to go so I don’t understand why his attitude soured towards the end of the season. Something must have happened that we don’t know about and my guess is Key did not coddle him like the clown did. Sims looked a whole lot better against Duke and Pitt than he did last night … of course MN defense is much better.

That and the fact that Key has stated so emphatically that King is the starter and the #1 QB. Seems a bit unnecessary, especially if King looks anything like Sims did last night. God forbid.
That's not what he said though. He named King as the starter based on six months of prep and said it was close. He said King wasn't on a leash, but that he expects all of his QBs will play during the season. The way the schedule breaks, I think it will be settled by the end of the month heading into the Miami game. I hope King is still QB1 at that point because it will bode well for the team.

i mentioned this last night but Minnesota had a Top 4 scoring defense in 2022. slightly better than UGAg.

will be interesting to see what he does against other defenses.

The stat line worries me less than what I actually saw, which were the same basic mistakes we saw here that don't require a great scoring D to take advantage of. The first half pick in the end zone being the prime example.

But agree that we'll see what he does against other teams.

The first half pick in the end zone being the prime example.
Rhule failed him there. When they got to the one-yard line he should have called a time out with 11 seconds left. The TO would have given the refs the chance for the reviewable call (instead of after the penalty). Even if they lose the review, like they did, they're still on the one. Instead, they rushed the QB sneak, and the LG got called for flinching. Even then, they could have taken the FG. That was clown-like clock management.

Here’s what’s crazy … Sims was 2-0 under Key and had two very good outings against Pitt and Duke. No doubt we would have boat raced UVA if Sims had been able to go so I don’t understand why his attitude soured towards the end of the season. Something must have happened that we don’t know about and my guess is Key did not coddle him like the clown did. Sims looked a whole lot better against Duke and Pitt than he did last night … of course MN defense is much better.
He wasn’t good vs pitt. He was 11/26 and if you watch the replay Pitt dropped 5 INT on the same type of throws he made at NEB. Two of those would have been walk-in pick six’s. Heres an article on the game: https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/202...ge-over-pitt-following-loss-to-georgia-tech/#

He did run more aggressive and effectively under Key, which ultimately led to him quitting once he got hurt because he didn’t want injuries to impact his transfer market.

Rhule failed him there. When they got to the one-yard line he should have called a time out with 11 seconds left. The TO would have given the refs the chance for the reviewable call (instead of after the penalty). Even if they lose the review, like they did, they're still on the one. Instead, they rushed the QB sneak, and the LG got called for flinching. Even then, they could have taken the FG. That was clown-like clock management.

My point is that when he had to throw a pass into the endzone, he stared one way the entire time and then threw an awful pick that most defenses would have converted. Just completely missed the defender sitting there like he did so many times with us.

Saying that in this instance Rhule shouldn't have put him into a position where he had to throw a pass into the endzone may be true, but it's also not really a good sign for the future.

Geoff Collins was all in on this guy, the story of the Collins Era.... Waffle House and recruiting over rated players that the Collins couldn't develop (except for the Gibbs Kid who Choice recruited)
Wasn’t it Burton who first brought the staff’s attention to Gibbs?

i mentioned this last night but Minnesota had a Top 4 scoring defense in 2022. slightly better than UGAg.

will be interesting to see what he does against other defenses.
I’d like to see the scoring average of the teams they played

Really thought he could improve with better coaching. Clearly I was wrong.
It’s different coaching - not necessarily better
Given how poorly coached he was for his Tech tenure, if he goes somewhere else then his coaching must be better is a good theorem

It’s different coaching - not necessarily better
Given how poorly coached he was for his Tech tenure, if he goes somewhere else then his coaching must be better is a good theorem
He really could have used some decent qb coaching along the way because his mechanics are terrible. Side arms a flat balls and throws everything off the back foot. Hard to be consistent with that approach. In an ideal world, he would have taken a RS year at some point and had a decent qb coach rework his fundamentals. Hard to work on mechanics if you are expected to be QB1 from Day 1

This is what concerns me.

That and the fact that Key has stated so emphatically that King is the starter and the #1 QB. Seems a bit unnecessary, especially if King looks anything like Sims did last night. God forbid.

QB's that make a lot of mental mistakes like throwing INT's often don't improve. But this staff with Weinke and Faulkner you would expect can turn it around if it's possible.
I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Pyron so far, so if the coaches think King is playing better than Pyron then I’m okay with that. I thought Pyron was better than Sims and I’m sure that’s the case even more so now. If King is the king then the team should be better.

Meh... stop ragging on the kid. He's doing what his coaches have allowed him to do. Yes, he stares at receivers. That's not new. Can he overcome it? Only with good coaching. We'll see in time.

We don't know why he didn't make the step-up last season. He had a good game vs. Dook that we won in OT. The next week, it was ... ugly... against UVA. In 5 possessions Sims engineered a 3 and out, a pick 6, a 4 and out, 6 and out, and a 3 and out. 6/11 for 47 yards, 0 TD/1 INT, with 3 carries for 1 yard. Just poor.

We suppose it was the injury that cost him his job, but we don't really know. Maybe, after the injury, he was passed in practice by Zach Pyron. For whatever reason, he never played another down for the Jackets.

Why NU thought the guy was the answer, we'll never know, but we may see why.

He didn’t quit mid game, so that’s a positive for him. Nebraska lost because he threw an INT in the final minute, so that’s par for the course for him.

So much talent wasted…
I’d say the fumble by the RB near the 50 when up 10-3 with under 4 minutes left sort of turned the game around. Nebraska was running the ball at will on that drive when the fumble happened on 1st down after gaining 8 yards.

Give Minnesota credit. Helluva catch for a TD on 4th & 10 with the game on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back