GT 38 Wake 24 Post Game Thread (((No Venting)))

I think there was a definite hangover from the Miami game. It was clear to me that Wake was determined and we were questioning in the early going. They were moving the line of scrimmage (LOS) on both sides of the ball in the first half. The LOS is where games are won or lost. In the second half, our guys nutted up and started carrying the fight to Wake.

On offense, Benson was a huge weapon in the second half. He is a hard man to tackle and delivers a lot of punishment with each run. I am concerned that he is also wearing down from the continued battering. We really need to get Howard totally ready to play so we can have a 2 headed monster down the stretch. Howard must be fumbling a lot in practice or I am sure CPJ would have already played him much more. We have to get this in play if we hope to be successful down the stretch. Marshall is still hot and cold. He looks lost on some plays and like a Heisman winner on others. Really need more consistency. His passing is very hot and cold as well. Got to get way more toward the hot side if we want a strong finish. The O line is solid in the middle and when we play Bryan at Tackle and Shamire at guard it gives us our best line up. The other Tackle, whoever we put over there is a liability. Losing A. Marshall was a huge blow in that regard. Lee has the potential to step up and solve that concern, but for now also too inconsistent. Sewak needs to light a fire under his butt. We just can not afford any injuries here down the stretch. The receivers are not getting used for much more than blocking which is their primary job, but it would be nice if Marshall would look for someone other than Ricky. Can Jalen Camp catch the ball? Will we ever find out?

The defense has the potential to be great and they need to be if we hope to really make a statement the rest of this season. The Wake game was a perfect illustration of how attitude controls the outcome on defense. We played the first half uninspired, getting knocked off the LOS pretty consistently and missing tackles left and right. In the second half it was just the opposite. We owned the LOS and tackled efficiently. We still need more penetration from anyone on the field. That is what disrupts offenses and creates negative plays. I think losing B. Mitchell really hurt us but Swilling is growing up fast and I think he might be legit by the end of the season. I hope we can get Brant back but we continue to play Bruce. (It is a similar situation to Howard playing more on offense) The defensive backfield is beginning to play better. I think they have been underperforming up to this point, missing turnover opportunities and allowing too many long play conversions on third down. When you start stuffing offenses on third and short and fourth and short, you demonstrate that you have the balls to whip the other guys butt. That was on full display during the second half. If we can build on that our defense is going to be damn good.

Special teams has some problems but Coach needs to trust his place kicker and let him succeed or fail on his own merit. We can not continue to be afraid to kick a 35 to 50 yard field goal. Your team sees that and it affects their confidence. King has the ability and you just need to give him more opportunities. Our punter is a monster and kick coverage is not great but we can improve that with more practice.

In any event, we will have a chance in every game left but we have to continue to progress in all the above areas to have the kind of finish we all can take pride in. Our guys must play inspired football.

Go Jackets!

I don't think CPJ is afraid to kick FGs, but every 4th down requires some calculating of odds in his head. The odds for our freshman kicker beyond 40 yds is not nearly as good as Butker was as a senior. He has to consider how well the opponent has been defending our offense and what the odds of converting a 4th down play. Plus, he is also trying to avoid hurting the kicker's psyche by not asking him to kick a bunch of 50 yarders that have little chance of being good.

Even though their coach turned out to be a whiny bitch after all and their players are pretty thuggish for a Baptist school, I thought the Wake Forest mascot was a good sport interacting with Buzz.

Back