For Everyone Who Thinks the Defense is Better This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of death march drives this year is obviously skewing the stats in terms of Time of Possession and # of plays. It seems like we either score quickly or go 3 and out.

This. It seems to me like we've hit more home run plays this year than put together defense grinding, clock eating drives.

Jesus, we get it. You love the offensive scheme and will defend it at all costs.

Newsflash: the offense generated a whopping 10 yards in 30 minutes of football vs Clemson. Given CPJ'S offense was unable to make a first down for an entire half of football, it's a damn miracle Roofs boys still kept us in the game....and did so again in the 2nd half while our 9th year coach's offense scored a whopping 7 points.

FF to Miami, a game lost again by our offense and it's handing of 14 pts to the ööööing canes.

At Pitt, it wasn't the D that was unable to gain half a yard with the game on the line.

CPJ'S offense deserves as much of the blame for this seasons failures as the D does....and more so in our losses to Clemson and Miami.

Why post stuff like this that just bashes our student athletes who are busting their asses on the D side of the ball?

Dont you know you arent supposed to talk bad about CPJ's offense in here?

This. It seems to me like we've hit more home run plays this year than put together defense grinding, clock eating drives.

The words "seems" and "feels" have little value in a discussion that should be based upon facts.

Jesus, we get it. You love the offensive scheme and will defend it at all costs.

Newsflash: the offense generated a whopping 10 yards in 30 minutes of football vs Clemson. Given CPJ'S offense was unable to make a first down for an entire half of football, it's a damn miracle Roofs boys still kept us in the game....and did so again in the 2nd half while our 9th year coach's offense scored a whopping 7 points.

FF to Miami, a game lost again by our offense and it's handing of 14 pts to the ööööing canes.

At Pitt, it wasn't the D that was unable to gain half a yard with the game on the line.

CPJ'S offense deserves as much of the blame for this seasons failures as the D does....and more so in our losses to Clemson and Miami.

Why post stuff like this that just bashes our student athletes who are busting their asses on the D side of the ball?

Your mom busts her ass on the D side too. :biggrin:

Jeebus, some of you just have to find the dark cloud behind every silver lining, don't you??

Total Defensive Points per Game Rank: #33

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

And let's look back in time, shall we:

2015: #60
2014: #50
2013: #57
2012: #72
2011: #58

Above from: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game

That's the whole point, isn't it? Keep the other team from scoring? From where I sit, we are getting better. And, for maybe the 4th time now, I have typed until I am blue in the fingers regarding our style of defense as necessitated by the staff on hand, and a severe lack of depth. Roof is in the process of bringing in better players each year than before, and we have the makings of a great class this year.

@johncu I expected better out of you. Did you really have to stir up all of the sandy vee jay jays around here?

We're in the 50's in points per play allowed, which is better than 2014 and 2015. Still not great.

You have to take what the defense gives you. I've seen much more aggressive , 9 in the box style defenses lately against us, too. I love the grind it out death marches, but if we can hit a gap outside or a deep pass for a TD, I'll take it.

We're in the 50's in points per play allowed, which is better than 2014 and 2015. Still not great.

All we can ask for is improvement, year over year. Now ask me again in 3 years (after 2018 season) and I may have changed my tune. I'm all about giving Roof time to bring in a full set of kids to the point he isn't playing multiple true freshmen in the starting lineup.

What's better? To give up 24 points in 6 possessions or 35 points in 12 possessions? Giving up 35 in 12 possessions is better. TOTAL anything really doesn't matter. It's all about points per possession.

Not sure I'd say its better. If you've given the opposition 12 possessions then you better be scoring a ton of points in between. Or getting a lot of 3 and outs. Its hard to look at one number as a good measure.

Not sure I'd say its better. If you've given the opposition 12 possessions then you better be scoring a ton of points in between. Or getting a lot of 3 and outs. Its hard to look at one number as a good measure.
If you're getting a lot of 3 and outs, that would be reflected in the relatively low points per possession metric. Points per possession is pretty much the gold standard of defensive metrics.

Roughly, if the other team has X possessions, then your team also has X possessions. That includes when there are offensive turnovers. Pretty much the relationship is only broken by end of halves and non-offensive touchdowns.

We lost against Pitt 37-34. 34 points is generally considered a good offensive performance even without looking at it per drive. I was curious to compare it though to, say, our 2005 win against Duke where we scored 35 points. Both games happened to have non-offensive touchdowns (KO return and pick six).

In GT-Duke 2005, GT had 15 offensive drives. In GT-Pitt, GT had 7 offensive drives. The GT offense in the GT Duke game technically did "better," scoring 28 points on offense versus 27 points. But it should be clear why it's extremely dumb to say the GT 2005 offense was better.

In terms of statistics, John Madden would say the team that scores the most points wins. But the second-best statistic is points per possession. Other than scoring more points generally, points per possession is the goal of playing offense or defense. Field position matters, but is secondary.

The words "seems" and "feels" have little value in a discussion that should be based upon facts.
Here's yer stats for the year so far:

71 drives, 16 of which went greater than 10 plays - 22.5%
71 drives, 24 of which went greater than 8 plays - 33.8%

71 drives - 214.9 minutes of possession, averaging 3 minutes per drive.
71 drives, 29 of which were greater than 3 minutes - 40.8% - less than half of our drives were longer than our average.
71 drives, 22 of which were greater than 4 minutes - 31.0%
71 drives, 13 of which were greater than 5 minutes - 18.3%
71 drives, 8 of which were greater than 6 minutes - 11.3%

2516 total yards in those 71 drives (including penalties)
1320 yards on plays 15 yards or greater (including penalties) - 52.5%
1025 yards on plays 20 yards or greater - 40.7%

28 scoring drives, 25 of which contained at least one play of 15+ yards (including penalties) - 89.3%
28 scoring drives, 20 of which contained at least one play of 20+ yards - 71.4%
28 scoring drives, 12 of which contained at least one play of 30+ yards - 42.9% (this number goes to 15 and 53.6% if you include 29-yd plays)

25 TD scoring drives, 1719 yards on those drives.
1060 of those yards came on plays 15+ yards (including penalties) - 61.7%
913 of those yards came on plays 20+ yards - 53.1%

So, from these number we can conclude:
  • Average TOP per drive is 3 minutes, but we keep it longer than that less than half of the time.
  • Over half of our yards come from plays of 15+ yards
  • On TD scoring drives, over half of our yards came from plays of 20+ yards
  • Less than 30% of our scoring drives came without at least one 20+ yard play
  • We only scored 2 TD's without any big plays, one was against Mercer and only a 23yd drive
Looks to me like we hit the home run or nothing.

EDIT: Also, out of 71 drives we have 25 punts, 6 fumbles, 5 turnover on downs, and 3 INT's. 54.9% of our drives do not result in points. (actually more than that if you count end of half/end of game possessions.)

Last edited:
All we can ask for is improvement, year over year. Now ask me again in 3 years (after 2018 season) and I may have changed my tune. I'm all about giving Roof time to bring in a full set of kids to the point he isn't playing multiple true freshmen in the starting lineup.
Oh hell no. He won a National Champion ship.

You own that öööö 3 years from now, for better or worse. :)

Beestorms Moms basement

Oh hell no. He won a National Champion ship.

You own that öööö 3 years from now, for better or worse. :)

Beestorms Moms basement

His defense, combined with a high powered offense, was enough to win a NC. And if we had anything close to resembling a typical CPJ offense we would be dominating.

The offense really needs to get back to where it should be.

If you're getting a lot of 3 and outs, that would be reflected in the relatively low points per possession metric. Points per possession is pretty much the gold standard of defensive metrics.

OK how do we compare year to year over the past 5 years on points per possession, offense and defense, and what are the national averages?

OK how do we compare year to year over the past 5 years on points per possession, offense and defense, and what are the national averages?
e65.gif

Our defense has not been very good for about a decade now, which is why it benefits us to slow the game down and limit possessions. Once you accept that the problems on defense are mostly unfixable due to recruiting issues, you realize that we have to make the best of it with the offense. When our offense is really good, we can still win a lot of games, but unfortunately our offense has not been "really good" since 2014. I'm still optimistic that we are getting better this season, but I gave up on our defense several years ago. The truth is that our recruiting challenges affect both sides of the ball, but CPJ can do more to offset that on offense than is possible defensively.

If the problems on Defense are mostly unfixable, then why continue this charade?

Drop football & the ACC.

Get into a basketball only conference with teams like gonzaga, DePaul and georgetown.

If Tech men are so smart why are we wasting these millions upon millions of $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back