For Everyone Who Thinks the Defense is Better This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you just "hate his defense" without any consideration given to the players he has at his disposal?

As an example, let's look at Sir Francis Kallon. I don't mean to disrespect him in any way, because I don't like talking negatively about student athletes, but the guys sum total of football experience was at Central Gwinnett HS. He was offered solely on his size and potential for growth. Guess what. It just didn't work out. We are playing a guy at DT that we have groomed for 4 years to play DE. Because we have no other options.

If I have to, I will go dig up my detailed post on the depth that I prepared before. I guess I should, because you freaking whiners just won't take an objective look at the situation.

It has nothing to do with Roof for me. It has everything to do with looking at the WHOLE PICTURE. Are you capable of doing that?
His defensive scheme has been the same everywhere he has coached, regardless of the "talent" level.

Are you incapable of seeing that?

Beestorms Moms basement

His defensive scheme has been the same everywhere he has coached, regardless of the "talent" level.

Are you incapable of seeing that?

Beestorms Moms basement

He won a national championship at Auburn.

He won a national championship at Auburn.
Roof led Auburn's defense to one of the worst statistical seasons in the program's history. Auburn's defense finished the 2011 regular season 78th in the nation, allowing 405.8 yards per game. The previous yards-per-game high for an Auburn defense was 389.1 in 1979.

? Pretty sure they had more "talent" than us.

Beestorms Moms basement

Roof led Auburn's defense to one of the worst statistical seasons in the program's history. Auburn's defense finished the 2011 regular season 78th in the nation, allowing 405.8 yards per game. The previous yards-per-game high for an Auburn defense was 389.1 in 1979.

? Pretty sure they had more "talent" than us.

Beestorms Moms basement

Ok, I'm feeling good today so I will humor you. The 2011 dumpster fire season. You see, Auburn is a lot like GT in that they have rollercoaster seasons. So, let's look at 2011 after their 2010 NC season.

Beat #16 Miss St 41-34
Lost to #21 Clemson 38-24
Beat #10 SCar 16-13
Lost to #10 Arky 38-14
Beat UF 17-6
Lost to #1 LSU 45-10
Beat Ol Miss 41-23
Lost to #14 UGA 45-7
Lost to #2 Bama 42-14
Beat UVA 43-24

So, when I look at this I see that their defense played pretty well in their wins, but they gave up a ton of points in the games that their offense, under a first year QB, scored less than 20 points.

And I'll say it again. He won a national championship at Auburn.

Jeebus, some of you just have to find the dark cloud behind every silver lining, don't you??

Total Defensive Points per Game Rank: #33

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/28

And let's look back in time, shall we:

2015: #60
2014: #50
2013: #57
2012: #72
2011: #58

Above from: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-points-per-game

That's the whole point, isn't it? Keep the other team from scoring? From where I sit, we are getting better. And, for maybe the 4th time now, I have typed until I am blue in the fingers regarding our style of defense as necessitated by the staff on hand, and a severe lack of depth. Roof is in the process of bringing in better players each year than before, and we have the makings of a great class this year.

@johncu I expected better out of you. Did you really have to stir up all of the sandy vee jay jays around here?

I agree. What matters MOST is points allowed. For the last few years, our D has been getting "boat raced" with very few 3rd down situations. We have "stiffened" enough to create more opportunities to get off the field on 3rd down, but that conversion rate is not good thus the high TOP for the opponent and the fewer plays the offense runs. But that is improvement.

Ok, I'm feeling good today so I will humor you. The 2011 dumpster fire season. You see, Auburn is a lot like GT in that they have rollercoaster seasons. So, let's look at 2011 after their 2010 NC season.

Beat #16 Miss St 41-34
Lost to #21 Clemson 38-24
Beat #10 SCar 16-13
Lost to #10 Arky 38-14
Beat UF 17-6
Lost to #1 LSU 45-10
Beat Ol Miss 41-23
Lost to #14 UGA 45-7
Lost to #2 Bama 42-14
Beat UVA 43-24

So, when I look at this I see that their defense played pretty well in their wins, but they gave up a ton of points in the games that their offense, under a first year QB, scored less than 20 points.

And I'll say it again. He won a national championship at Auburn.
LoL.

Beestorms Moms basement

The next Derrick Morgan/Michael Johnson. Let me know when you find one that wants to take Calculus and would rather play in front of 55k than 80k.

55? That's rich.

I think we should elect DC's as a fan base. Have 7 or 8 of them get up on a stage and have a couple of moderated debates, rallies, etc then at the end of the year have a vote. That would seriously rock.

How many defensive coordinators do we need to go through? What are we at now including Roof under CPJ? 4 or 5?

I like Roof, he's bringing in Legacy recruits...just keep him.

What's better? To give up 24 points in 6 possessions or 35 points in 12 possessions? Giving up 35 in 12 possessions is better. TOTAL anything really doesn't matter. It's all about points per possession.
This is the correct response. Roof's defense is bend but don't break, like it or not. This defensive style can be effective but will always rank poorly in metrics that look at opponents' yards gained.

Here's one good metric of our defense's improvement and overall effectiveness this year...

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

#21 in the nation in opponent red zone scoring percentage. Improvement from 87.18% in 2015 to 73.68% in 2016. Would be interesting to see average points per red zone appearance to see if we are forcing a higher percentage of field goals.

What's better? To give up 24 points in 6 possessions or 35 points in 12 possessions? Giving up 35 in 12 possessions is better. TOTAL anything really doesn't matter. It's all about points per possession.

It depends on how many games you give those points up in. And also how many you score on offense.

In other words, your example is stupid.

This is the correct response. Roof's defense is bend but don't break, like it or not.

That is not his (or anyone's) preferred style.

We would love to all be Alabama and beat teams into submission on defense. Guess what. Ain't happening.

It is all about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os.

That is not his (or anyone's) preferred style.

We would love to all be Alabama and beat teams into submission on defense. Guess what. Ain't happening.

It is all about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os.
I guess "like it or not" applies to Roof, too. lol

We are bend but don't break. I agree this is due to our Jimmies and Joes.

I think we should elect DC's as a fan base. Have 7 or 8 of them get up on a stage and have a couple of moderated debates, rallies, etc then at the end of the year have a vote. That would seriously rock.
But would they tell us their public or private thoughts?

It's not. The offense, while not great, is significantly better than the defense. And don't even bother with the total offense and total defense statistics. Our style of play makes them worthless. Here are some more useful stats.

ESPN Efficiency Rating:
GT Offense: 31st
GT Defense: 101st

Don't like those ratings? Let's try another site. I think Football Outsiders' methodology is better anyway:

Football Outsiders FEI Ratings (Efficiency):
GT Offense: 13th
GT Defense: 97th

Wondering how our offense looks so bad in total offense ratings but pretty good in efficiency? Here's why:

Plays per game ranking:
GT Offense: 128th

That's right. We literally run less plays than any team in the country. So it's pretty asinine to judge our performance by total yards, on either side of the ball. Metrics like efficiency or yards per play are much more accurate. And in those metrics, our offense is basically as good as it usually is, and our defense sucks yet again. It is what it is.

Jesus, we get it. You love the offensive scheme and will defend it at all costs.

Newsflash: the offense generated a whopping 10 yards in 30 minutes of football vs Clemson. Given CPJ'S offense was unable to make a first down for an entire half of football, it's a damn miracle Roofs boys still kept us in the game....and did so again in the 2nd half while our 9th year coach's offense scored a whopping 7 points.

FF to Miami, a game lost again by our offense and it's handing of 14 pts to the ööööing canes.

At Pitt, it wasn't the D that was unable to gain half a yard with the game on the line.

CPJ'S offense deserves as much of the blame for this seasons failures as the D does....and more so in our losses to Clemson and Miami.

Why post stuff like this that just bashes our student athletes who are busting their asses on the D side of the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back