College football's financial woes

The Cal bit is very disingenuous. They basically had to earthquake-proof that stadium and it cost them a fortune. It wasn't like they were going out and spending they money on some öööö-öööö.

600x-1.jpg

we ded
Borrowing costs are cheap right now, we live!

Yes, they probably do. So the "AA's with debt" chart is probably misleading for most of those schools.

I was assuming it was fair to say that the chart was relative at least in terms of the financial position of the various schools. I think it is no secret we are not in a very strong position financially at the moment.

I was assuming it was fair to say that the chart was relative at least in terms of the financial position of the various schools. I think it is no secret we are not in a very strong position financially at the moment.

At least with Georgia Tech, it's clear that it wasn't based on a net debt position but gross. I tried looking for Cal Berkeley financials and they only report revenues and expenses. The consolidated financial statement has a 3.8 billion dollar endowment for the whole university.

At least with Georgia Tech, it's clear that it wasn't based on a net debt position but gross. I tried looking for Cal Berkeley financials and they only report revenues and expenses. The consolidated financial statement has a 3.8 billion dollar endowment for the whole university.

Oh, so there could be some inconsistency in the reporting, you are saying.

Assuming the last post was tl;dr:

1. $111 million is the 2001 bond issuance.
2. $20 million variable rate bond renewed annually by Northern Trust from 2008.
3. $89 million bond issuance in 2011 ($50 mil. for McCamish Pavillion, $9 mil. for practice facility).
4. $9 million bond from SunTrust to purchase golf practice facility.

Then there is the $100 million portion of the endowment managed by the Georgia Tech Foundation, which should be netted from the total debt.
Much better with the Cliff notes version. Thanks.

The Cal bit is very disingenuous. They basically had to earthquake-proof that stadium and it cost them a fortune

Why would they build a stadium on a fault-line? I'm not an engineer, (sidewalk fan/Communication major), and I am curious. Is this a lack of other land available or is the technology such it's not that big of deal...I'm just wondering.

Also, how much does Title IX affect a school's overall athletic budget seeing how women's sports don't make much if any money?

The Cal bit is very disingenuous. They basically had to earthquake-proof that stadium and it cost them a fortune

Why would they build a stadium on a fault-line? I'm not an engineer, (sidewalk fan/Communication major), and I am curious. Is this a lack of other land available or is the technology such it's not that big of deal...I'm just wondering.

Also, how much does Title IX affect a school's overall athletic budget seeing how women's sports don't make much if any money?

I assume the stadium was built decades ago and the city of Berkeley is not exactly known for plentiful land and easy permitting.

Much better with the Cliff notes version. Thanks.

Sorry, I wrote the first post as I was working through GTAA's financial report. Mostly, I was trying to figure out if GTAA had the earnings ability to pay off $106 million in net debt. To be honest, the GTAA by itself doesn't have the ability to pay off the debt, but it won't matter because it's part of GT which does.

You almost never hear of a successful athlete transferring because his major isn't working and another school offers something more to his liking.

Eliminate the one-year sit out and you just might. We see grad transfers all the time.

1) Get a wayback machine. Go back to 1979 or maybe a few years prior
2) Get our naive young coach to give Herschel a CORVETTE which is >>> a Trans Am instead of trying to convince him and his family about the benefits of a GT education.
3) Create football factory classes.
3) Profit. We are rolling in dough. 90,000 show up per week

Nice bit of bad statistics here:

-1x-1.png

Somehow, P5 schools have gone down 0.6%, G5 down 3%, but "All FBS Schools" are down 4%. That's because FBS expanded from ~115 teams in 2009 to 130 teams in 2016. The low attendance of new schools like Georgia State brought down the FBS average more than the G5 average.

Even the 0.6% decline in P5 schools is partly from additions from Big East and other conferences over that timeframe. Meanwhile, the first article also cherry-picked Kansas, a clear outlier from BCS team to basement-dweller.
What I love about these articles is how they frame statistics to suit their agenda. Even at G5 schools it's football that is paying the bills. You're not losing money on athletics or else someone other than Idaho would be dropping down. Also if let's say just for laughs that you have a deficit of $20M (totally made up high number) that means that the school has to write a check. 1) it's a credit one place and a debit elsewhere in your operating budget. 2) you would be hard pressed to find an FBS school with an operating budget under $300M. GSU's is $1B. So $20M is 2% of the budget. For the mythical $300M budget school it's 7%.

And the deficits they are usually talking about are way less than $20M. School Presidents are not idiots. If the debt were truly "crippling" they would most likely not incur it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1) Get a wayback machine. Go back to 1979 or maybe a few years prior
2) Get our naive young coach to give Herschel a CORVETTE which is >>> a Trans Am instead of trying to convince him and his family about the benefits of a GT education.
3) Create football factory classes.
3) Profit. We are rolling in dough. 90,000 show up per week
You still lose. In 1979 the Firebird Trans Am >>> Corvette especially in the South.

See Dickerson, Eric.

What I love about these articles is how they frame statistics to suit their agenda. Even at G5 schools it's football that is paying the bills. You're not losing money on athletics or else someone other than Idaho would be dropping down. Also if let's say just for laughs that you have a deficit of $20M (totally made up high number) that means that the school has to write a check. 1) it's a credit one place and a debit elsewhere in your operating budget. 2) you would be hard pressed to find an FBS school with an operating budget under $300M. GSU's is $1B. So $20M is 2% of the budget. For the mythical $300M budget school it's 7%.

And the deficits they are usually talking about are way less than $20M. School Presidents are not idiots. If the debt were truly "crippling" they would most likely not incur it.

We also run a high school offense, which saves us money right there.

You still lose. In 1979 the Firebird Trans Am >>> Corvette especially in the South.

See Dickerson, Eric.

1977 T/A is preferable. I'd rather have a 78 vette than a 79 T/A.

Of course, we actually should have countered with a 69 Camaro SS convertible.

1977 T/A is preferable. I'd rather have a 78 vette than a 79 T/A.

Of course, we actually should have countered with a 69 Camaro SS convertible.
But a kid in the late 70's would prefer the new hotness. That was the Trans Am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back