Who would you rather have???

Re: Easy answer

A great ol' big thumbs up to GTFAN
Short story:
Years ago, coached a pee wee baseball team at our Boys Club.
After I had gotten out of coaching all together, the Boys Club director called and asked if I would take a team for the new season. Last thing in the world that I wanted to do. He went on to explain that after all of the coaches had picked over the players that they wanted, there were still enough players left to field a team, and no one would take them. You can imagine what kind of potential they were. I agreed to take them and do the best that we could but not for anyone to expect too much. As I got to working with these little guys, I learned that they had something to prove to the world and were bent on getting it done. First time I had ever coached a team that had NO pre-madonna know it alls. These little guys wanted to learn to play ball and admitted up front that they knew very little. Turns out that this team wound up playing for the championship that year. Did not win it but they were there for the efforts they had earned.
Point of story:
Would love to have had both of these guys at GT. However, if it had to be that we were to get just one, gimme the one that wants to be here the most. He's the one to get the work done for you.
G. O'Leary made a statement once that I whole heartedly agreed with. If they don't want to play for GT, I don't want them to be here. If that isn't an exact quote, the meaning is correct.
Just give us players that want to be GT players, all the rest can go over to that other place.

Re: Easy answer

Let's here it for the pee wees!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggerGrin.gif

Re: ncjacket, I do agree that we haven\'t had...

Jonathan was drafted in the 7th by the Bills - it was easy to miss because most of the draft boards listed a RB from Washington State named Jonathan Smith for the first couple of days afterward.

Anyway - One thing I loved about JS was that he played defense as much as offense. The way Reggie played QB, JS had to routinely take balls that were clearly thrown right to the guy defending him. That's why RB threw to him so much. The guy might as well have been a ball-hawking DB.

When a ball is in the air, Smith thinks it's his. Even a lot of good recievers don't get that. Levon will sit and watch a ball get intercepted when it's not to him. I remember Jonathan basically taking balls away from his own team mates a few times.

We lost a gem in Jonathan. He is one of the best underneath recievers a college team could ask for and I think he will excell as a career #2 or #3 in the pros. He was asked to play a position he was not built for last year, so he did a lot with what he was given.

I don't think we will have a ball hawk like him next year - at all. Even CJ. I do think we will have other upgrades that will be just as complementary or effective for other reasons. Different, but maybe better.

Re: ncjacket, I do agree that we haven\'t had...

I like JS and think he's a very good receiver. Missed the draft pick, thanks for the info. But you'll have to clue me in on his ball-hawking ability. I can't remember him taking a ball away from anyone. I wish him well, but still don't think he's the kind of guy that can get a QB out of trouble on those errant throws that all QBs make from time to time.

I agree 100% with NC Jacket..

I really enjoyed watching our recievers Smith,Curry,White,Campbell exct. the last 10 to 12 years...But for the most part (With the exception of Dez White) we have had undersized Wide Recievers and I dont remember having recievers that as NC Jacket referred to as being Big Strong guys (Such as most all the programs we compete against...Clemson, Fsu exct..) that could go up and get the ball and take it away from the Defender...IMHO...This IS being addressed by Gailey...He is going to the Bigger WR...Ex...Johnson,McGuire,Bilbo...And we are on an A list for several 6-3/6-4 High School Seniors for next year's class...We will have a Bigger group of recievers over the next few years Size wise and This should help IMHO..In the area of Red Zone Offense....

Back