Who would you rather have???

Ham4heisman

Varsity Lurker
Calvin Johnson or Brandon Miller?

For me, I'd rather have Brandon cus he could come in and fill a big whole at LB. Also, in a few years he could've wound up being a BIG playmaker at GT

Re: Easy answer

I'll second that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

IMHO, Calvin filled a bigger hole and his recruitment has already been mentioned in at least 1 recruits update for this year.

Brandon will be busy next fall getting that Computer Science degree from the world renown CS department at the College Formerly known as UGA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif

CJ.

Our defense doesn't need much help, but our offense does.

Spoke to an assistant coach on Saturday and the only worries they have right now is at LB'er and the expeience they have. They like the intensity though. I feel better about our conversation.

By the way as ugly as chuck dowdle is has anyone seen his wife. woohoo 2 thumbs up. it must be his 2nd.

This really is a moot question but I'll play.We need and will need Offensive help MUCH more for next 2 yrs.

Ham4Heisman,

How could you possibly write that, when you know which guy committed to which school?

How should Calvin Johnson respond to a post like that?

He hasn't even gotten here and you are treating him like a Dawg fan treats Terrence Edwards.

If I'm a kid that shunned many of the great football schools he did, I don't appreciate it when I read a board for the school I 'did' choose, has some guy writing about how he would rather have had a guy that picked - of all schools - UGA.

Brandon seems first class in every way and we would have been lucky to get him - but Calvin committed to GT.

I am in Calvin's court in every single possible way. I wish no ill will towards Brandon, but screw him. He's a dawg. I'll pull for him when he leaves UGA.

I can understand your logic of why Brandon would have been a great assett. Let's look at the slots available and who did what and where.

We need linebackers. We signed Guyton and Chambers. Two guys that would likely get PT fast at most schools. We also sign (S) Williams and (DE) Robertson. All run around 4.5 - all are around 205-220. All have a chance to contribute as a freshman LB. Two likely actually will.

We also have huge talent and experience everywhere else on D except (2) of (3) LB spots.

On O we have a 2nd year QB, a walk on RB, and a killer possesion guy in Curry. We have questions at OL, TE, and WR numbers 2 and 3 (much less a 4 WR set).

We didn't sign any big-time WR's besides Johnson - besides the other Johnson, and Clark - one of whom will probably be better than his number of stars or offers - but you get the point.

Chambers and Guyton didn't have the hype that Miller did, but they each are close enough in the stats that they will likely be 'almost' as good (as Miller is 'expected' to be) - which would be dang good - or they 'could' be better than Miller turns out to be, or maybe - better than we 'expect' Miller to beas of right now.

The stats are close enough that I feel lucky to have both of them, and I can't wait to see each in white and gold.

And how many times has Chambers been to practice taking every single snap as serious preparation for contributing to our team this spring? And further - how many times did Miller attend the same at UGA? And if he did - did he study the game like I keep hearing that Chambers did? Is he even smart enough to get what Chambers will 'get' if he did?

And even if he did - screw him. The guy is a dawg.

Which leads back to the bigger point. I think we picked up great guys at LB and at WR. We had less alternatives at WR, and less surrounding talent at other positions to cover for a thin WR corps, so Johnson was a more vital pick up vs. Miller.

And here is the bigger point.

Even if I did not believe what I am writing right now - which I do - I would never admit it, because I will never have any incoming guy, who committed to my school, 'ever' see that I have questioned how much he is appreciated before he ever steps foot on the Flats.

I know your intentions are genuine, H4H, but we should always be very careful about tainting the enthusiasm of any guy about to come to the Flats, or any that is already here. Calvin is my guy, and he should be yours.

Both of them are great players. The question is who will be the superior college player. I think Calvin has the potential to be a difference maker at Tech. Brandon is undoubtably a great player but I question whether he can make as big an impact as Calvin will at Tech. The wide receiver position has evolved into a much more physical position than just 10 years ago. Calvin's combination of size, speed, and hands is exactly what has been missing at Tech since Dez White left.

It's actually pretty simple. I'd rather have had them both, but if we couldn't I'd rather have the guy who WANTED to be be here.

BTW, we need WRs more than defensive players right now. AND it's pretty insulting for you to choose a current dawg over an incoming Jacket anyway. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, but poor, poor taste man. techfowl is exactly right.

Re: Techfowl, I agree 100% with EVERY point....

TF, I agree with your post. It was well written, Don't take let my post rub you the wrong way though. I was just trying to get some posts going on this forum, get it a bit more active. It was a hypothetical question. If you could choose, would you rather it be Calvin or Brandon at GT?

However, you talk about how we are thin on O. We have the ACC leading rusher from last, the ACC rookie of the year, and a receiver who has put up some big numbers when he's healthy. Also, we have a stud redshirt freshman at running back. I support Calvin Johnson 100% and I am extremely happy to have him a GT. He is a great player and will single handedly win some games for us the next few years, IMHO. He is a VERY special player.

But, if it came down to one or the other, and it was my choice...I would have to choose Brandon Miller. I really like the way he plays and how he could fill such a big need. The fact that he would fill such a huge hole for us at LB was my focal point for choosing him.

Disagree H4H. What we don't have is a big time receiver. We haven't had one since KC as far as I'm concerned. JSmith could make a short pass a long gainer but what he couldn't do was spread the field. He wasn't a deep threat and he wasn't big enough to make the catches over the middle where the receiver outbattles the defensive back. Add that to our arsenal and we start to become dangerous on offense.

We do need LBs but we have some kids who will do fine IMO. We've had a good history at Tech of developing good LBs, what we don't have now is what Calvin brings.

NCJ I'll second that we need Calvin on O more than a Brandon on D!

[ QUOTE ]
NCJ I'll second that we need Calvin on O more than a Brandon on D!

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandon who?

ncjacket, I do agree that we haven\'t had...

a deep threat since KC was here. But J Smith was quite the receiver. But part of his problem was that there wasn't someone to get him the long ball last year to actually stretch the field. The most memorable "stretch the field" moment from a year ago was with a receiver that we still have on this team, Nate Curry.

I don't disagree that we needed to land Calvin Johnson as a big play threat. I agree that he's a bigger threat than Nate Curry is currently. But I also think that Curry has the tools to be a bigger threat than he is, and most of what is holding that back is at the QB position. And with that the case, I'm not sure how effective CJ is really going to be if someone can't get the ball to him.

Re: ncjacket, I do agree that we haven\'t had...

Agree - regarding last year.

AJ has zero arm strength, and he opened it up like crazy as soon as he came in against UGA. We had an offense that really moved the ball, but the problem was partly that we kept moving the ball to red shirts once for about every 5 times we moved the ball to JS, NC, or LT.

AJ proved that with the 'right' recognition, a Chan Gailey offense can move the ball, with exactly the same recievers that seemed too slow before. AJ had some huge and early recognitions that had the ball in the air at times well before the reciever apeared open to anybody else. He was just wrong a few too many times also, which is why Reggie had been playing all year.

This year could be an entirely different story, though.

There is no issue with arm strength, which is an issue that can't be remedied.

There has been an issue with loft and accuracy, which can be remedied, and recognition, which also can be remedied. So maybe we will see a difference.

So - if Reggie increases how fast he recognizes each situation, he will get the ball off faster - which means he won't be in such a hurry to get the long ball off before the WR outruns his arm strength, which means he can put more loft under it, which means our guys will have more chance to go get the ball instead of having to adjust to a 50 yard 'dart', which means more complete long balls.

If Reggie has half AJ's 'correct' early recognition skills, and retains his ability not to make as many mistakes, we will blister some guys with CJ to and PJ take pressure off Nate and him off each other. Much less Ace, Jimmy D, or Darius slipping out in the flats and Reggie remembering more of his dump men.

The biggest improvement for any player is between his first and second year. I have probably bashed Reggie last year worse than anybody, but the kid is talented, tough, and smart. He has all the tools, I just have a short fuse with giving the other team locker room material, which he seemed hell bent on doing last year. I don't expect it again this year.

I think we will see a very good QB in RB this year. A split second earlier in his recognition, and he can throw an entirely different kind of long ball. I could be wrong, but I think the flat 50 yard dart has been a product of late recognition rather that lack of knowing how to throw the deep ball.

When you are late seeing the seperation, you have to get it there fast. When you see it early, you heave it and let your guy go get it. Reggie saw it all too late last year and had to get it there too fast - which meant no adjustment time for the WR.

The long ball is the easiest ball to throw because it means no reading defenses and letting your WR do the work. Last year he tried to put the ball in a single place downfield, which Troy Aikman, Chris Chandler, and David Green, can't do either 50 yards out with a kid running 4.4 or 4.5, and cutting, and pushing with a DB.

The short game has been the problem - which may have been what you are saying. Reggie didn't have the mistakes, but he missed a lot of opportunities last year also. AJ saw all the opportunities early, but he was wrong too many times. This year should be a better mix in each direction.

If Reggie can excel in the short game, he surely will get the long ball this year. He just has to see it early. I think he will.

The recognition problems hurt J Smith more than it ever will hurt CJ for exactly the problems I mentioned above. Like you said - the problem 'was' the QB - who struggled with recognition in the short game, which was JS's specialty.

A CJ is easier to get the ball to for a QB that is not as talented. He is a bigger target in traffic and faster down the field. JS is just as effective as CJ if you have David Greene, but not if you have a freshman QB, because it's traffic all the time.

This year we will have a more experienced, better QB with a bigger target that holds more options that will be easier to recognize in a more spread out field. More forgiving and productive all around.

RB will read better this year anyway, but with 2 burners instead of 1, we stretch the field and make it even easier underneath for a guy that will most certainly be reading better without it anyway.

Look at the difference between Charlie Whithurst two years ago and Charlie Whitehurst last year. The kid went from being carried by his team, to carrying his team. Maybe Reggie can make the same improvement.

Most of you know I watch a ton of Clemson games. I saw that kid lose quite a few games single handedly two years ago for them - MD and NCState. I saw him single handedly carry them last year a few times - us, FSU, USC.

I don't think RB will be CH, much less Joe Ham, but I am optimistic that RB will improve quite a bit. I think he can be a pretty good QB for us, if he will just keep his mouth shut, stay hungry, and play.

CJ will make a huge difference. Levonb and X Mac are fast, just inconsistent. If Nate, CJ, and one of those others are sprinting all over the place, they have to be accounted for even if we just hand PJ the ball. It's all about spreading those guys out and creating space. CJ will have a huge impact on every play, running or passing, and no matter to who.

Re: ncjacket, I do agree that we haven\'t had...

Nice post techfowl.

I agree that RB has some things still to learn and his improvement is crucial to the offense this year. I also agree that he held back JSmith some last year with late/poor throws, lack of recognition etc. But I still can never remember JS adjusting to a throw and catching a ball he had no business getting to.

That may sound like unreasonable expectations, but no good QB makes perfect throws every play. They all rely on a receiver to make them look good on some percentage of their throws. RB didn't have that going for him last year. RBs receivers last year would (usually) catch a ball thrown right to them, and sometimes make the first man miss. But we had no game breakers except JS and he is just limited in terms of what he can do because of his lack of size and blazing speed. He's a good college WR, but the fact that he wasn't drafted is telling in that he isn't seen as a real playmaker.

I hope that is what CJ brings. Talent yes, but also the size and toughness to make a play. When the throw isn't on line, a great receiver can adjust and go get it instead of just watching it sail overhead.

Re: Easy answer

Jacketup, I agree totally with you. Calvin wants to be at GT so dad gummit I'd rather have him.

Back