What's with D'allasandris & not getting OL recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What\'s with D\'allasandris & not getting OL recruits?

Wuzjrbuzz on the Hive did a good job laying out my reasons for concern about the low numbers of OLine recruits this year (and last to be honest).

It is not meant to be a bash against the OLine coach as I have no basis to pick up on that part of the original post - so I am trying to focus on the numbers not the slam.

Quoting him

In checking our current roster, we have the following returning for next season:

Seniors

Nat Dorsey
Leon Robinson
Andy Tidwell-Neal
Kyle Wallace

Juniors

Salih Besirevic
Brad Honeycutt
Kenton Johnson

Freshman

Matt Rhodes
Kevin Tuminello

Currently, we have one verbal on the OL. Some have stated that this needs to be a big year for the OL, but from the free list below from the Insiders, it doesn't appear that we are on many OLs.

Jacketguy did a nice job of laying out our targets for the rest of the ships we have (which I appreciate) and on that list there were not more than 1 additional OLine recruit if I remember correctly.

Yes we can move other kids around but we were thin on the Dline as well this year so it is not like we are out of balance between the offensive and defensive lines and simply need to move kids back and forth. On the surface that doesn't seem to be a fix here but I would love to be proven wrong.

Sfalco's point is valid in that this is a position where you have to have a pipeline of kids coming through and you can't expect to have freshman play well here. Redshirt sophs are what you really want when our Srs are graduating and we need to get 3 or 4 kids in this year (probably really last year) to be ready to step up.

I am really happy that we seem to have a plethora of smaller quicker guys coming in who can be dbacks and WRs - we certainly have one of the best defensive backfields at Tech in a long time and it looks to get better.

Right now Tech has one of the best OLines in the ACC. I am just worried that as we speak it is not apparant where the strong OLine we will need to execute a balanced run/pass offense is going to come from. Certainly understand and agree that there is a long time left with recruiting and this isn't a chicken little post - but it is a post saying there is a reason for concern here.

No bulldog fan..You want to keep this thread at the top!!!!!!

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BarrelORum:
One thing that gets me is, here we are late in the recruiting process and only seem to be looking at a handful of Lineman. Fred Roland according to the recruiting networks was never offered by GT. He camped at GT, liked GT a lot, obviously has the grades since he is committed to Duke.... yet here we are, don't have the OLineman #'s like we should and never offered Roland. What the hell is that all about?

This reminds me of the RB from Lovejoy last year that we never offered because we already had 1 RB committed and he really wanted to come to Tech? Who ever said you only have to take 1 RB in a year, especially when that was a major need for us going into last year? I don't get some of the strategies this coaching staff is employing when it comes to recruiting certain positions.

What are we planning on doing, beefing up the WR's to play Tackle?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The truth is you don't know any reasons to why regarding Roland.
confused.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are certainly right. I don't. But when we're missing on OLineman prospects because they are committing to other schools and we don't offer a big framed lineman who is obviously smart enough, and is being recruited by some pretty good schools in our own backyard, you got to wonder. When there are recruits that are looking at Tech and the northern equivalent to Louisiana Lafayette and we are going after them over a guy who everyone else is indicating is a better talent, I'm sorry, but my concern is justified.

Originally posted by Y Jacket:
Wuzjrbuzz on the Hive did a good job laying out my reasons for concern about the low numbers of OLine recruits this year (and last to be honest).

It is not meant to be a bash against the OLine coach as I have no basis to pick up on that part of the original post - so I am trying to focus on the numbers not the slam.

Quoting him

In checking our current roster, we have the following returning for next season:

Seniors

Nat Dorsey
Leon Robinson
Andy Tidwell-Neal
Kyle Wallace

Juniors

Salih Besirevic
Brad Honeycutt
Kenton Johnson

Freshman

Matt Rhodes
Kevin Tuminello

Currently, we have one verbal on the OL. Some have stated that this needs to be a big year for the OL, but from the free list below from the Insiders, it doesn't appear that we are on many OLs.

Jacketguy did a nice job of laying out our targets for the rest of the ships we have (which I appreciate) and on that list there were not more than 1 additional OLine recruit if I remember correctly.

Yes we can move other kids around but we were thin on the Dline as well this year so it is not like we are out of balance between the offensive and defensive lines and simply need to move kids back and forth. On the surface that doesn't seem to be a fix here but I would love to be proven wrong.

Sfalco's point is valid in that this is a position where you have to have a pipeline of kids coming through and you can't expect to have freshman play well here. Redshirt sophs are what you really want when our Srs are graduating and we need to get 3 or 4 kids in this year (probably really last year) to be ready to step up.

I am really happy that we seem to have a plethora of smaller quicker guys coming in who can be dbacks and WRs - we certainly have one of the best defensive backfields at Tech in a long time and it looks to get better.

Right now Tech has one of the best OLines in the ACC. I am just worried that as we speak it is not apparant where the strong OLine we will need to execute a balanced run/pass offense is going to come from. Certainly understand and agree that there is a long time left with recruiting and this isn't a chicken little post - but it is a post saying there is a reason for concern here.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You have a couple of missing players on that list. Mike Matthews will be a sophmore OT and Eddy Parker will be a Redshirt Freshman. Also, the DT from Texas, Anyaibe (sp?) is also a guard prospect. I think we recruited him as a DT, but we might be able t move him, don't know.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Really don't think this is a conspiracy BW by Sfalco to damage our recruiting. Relax.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Really don't think this is a conspiracy BW by Sfalco to damage our recruiting. Relax.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

No probably not..I like to rag dogs anyway...

But the real problem here that concerns some of us IS: The way GTace worded this post..It came across BOLDLY as a SLAM against one of our assistant coaches...And it will no doubt stay at the top ALL day...For ALL to see...Hey our Oline recruiting has been a concern of mine for several years too..Dating back to just before Oleary left...But GTAce went about it the wrong way whether intentially or not!!!!!

BOR, just a minor nit to pick. We have a couple of OLs we're recruiting according to the free site on the Hive, who are both primarily looking at the MAC. I assume those are the guys you're worried about? So is it better to recruit against Duke or the MAC?

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BarrelORum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Really don't think this is a conspiracy BW by Sfalco to damage our recruiting. Relax.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

No probably not..I like to rag dogs anyway...

But the real problem here that concerns some of us IS: The way GTace worded this post..It came across BOLDLY as a SLAM against one of our assistant coaches...And it will no doubt stay at the top ALL day...For ALL to see...Hey our Oline recruiting has been a concern of mine for several years too..Dating back to just before Oleary left...But GTAce went about it the wrong way whether intentially or not!!!!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't care how he worded it, although it wasn't the best I agree. If for some luck of God it gets our coaches to start bringing in some big time OLineman then YAY for GTAce. No one has been able to provide evidence that would suggest that our OLineman recruiting is going above par. Again, in 2 years where will we be? Not All recruits work out as starters and at this pace we won't even have enough to field a second string in 2 years. We don't just need bodies, we need talented bodies. So far, we have not proven we are fulfilling our needs.

It is a legit concern and unfortunately I think people are sensitive, because we are not fulfilling our needs. My disclaimer here is, we do have 2 months to go, and we possibly could land 5 guys between now and then, but we need to get it done.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
BOR, just a minor nit to pick. We have a couple of OLs we're recruiting according to the free site on the Hive, who are both primarily looking at the MAC. I assume those are the guys you're worried about? So is it better to recruit against Duke or the MAC?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm not worried about the guys we are recruiting, I'm worried about the #'s. I was refering to one particular recruiting site that discussed 1 particular recruit that is looking at us and another school. The point is, when you need lots of talented bodies, why are we not offering guys in our backyard that according to Everyone else are a better talent than some of the guys we are actively recruiting now. Even if they weren't better talents, we have a need to fill and Rarely is the offensive Line helped by walkons. Some things just don't make any sense.

yes, you have found me out. My whole reason for visiting this board and the Hive is to negatively impact GT recruiting.

Forget that I actually enjoy the intelligent conversation on this board; conversation that gets lost in the posts about top 10 sports movies and best 80's bands that are observed on the dawg vent.

No, I don't really care that the people on this board and the Hive actually talk college sports and participate in intereting diatribe.

I'm just here to cause trouble. ;-)

very well said throughout BARREL...OL are diffcult to recruit and if we cant get strong interest early with numerous guys, we could be in trouble for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back