UNCHEAT

Couldn't the NCAA make a new "UNC Rule" that says "if X% of players in a sport take a class that is determined by (whoever can determine it) to be bogus, then the school is sanctioned"? Surely there is a way to fix this.

I get why they skated, but it seems just a failing to have solid rules to prohibit and punish what they did.

I don't think you really get why they skated. You understand the reason they gave; but I don't you understand why programs like UNC skate.

NCAA logic:

Give two decades of students a free 80k degree? No problem

Give a student breakfast at Waffle House? Serious infraction

The NCAA is clearly a revenue maximizing organization for college athletic departments. Pay players - they come down hard so that we can keep revenue for coaches, AD's and bloated athletic department bureaucracies. Subtle and discreet ways to get around payment issues by big-time revenue producing programs - look the other way. Academic integrity issues for established programs that TV loves in football and basketball - no problem, none of our business. But, if this is a renegade program daring to establish the status quo - blast them back to where they belong. Keeping their top brands healthy is their goal, not fairness. Their paychecks to members are given with the clear message to those not considered top tier brands - "You are getting paid. Shut up and be happy you are part of the gravy train we keep flowing because we do all we can to keep basketball programs like UNC and Duke and football programs like Alabama on top.

I stil say blow it up. Pay what you will to athletes. Try the market forces instead of the NCAA regulators. It might yield bad results for some. But I'd rather go down knowing that we failed because we were not willing or able to compete financially than to be complicit in this mess where we vacate a championship over $250 in tee shirts and gym shorts and UNC wins a national title in basketball with athletes taking advantage of academic fraud, as a player like McCants clearly and willingly has acknowledged.

Back