Scholarships?

As far as I know 25, but he may have a few extra to give if any player can enroll in the Spring.

Father Time

Smarty pants answer....ZERO he HAS to give out...(smile)

I think the number is 25-26, depending on early enrolees that can count towards last year's number.

Originally posted by Ringgold:
Smarty pants answer....ZERO he HAS to give out...(smile)

I think the number is 25-26, depending on early enrolees that can count towards last year's number.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL: And I thought I was the one with the wit!

[QB]Smarty pants answer....ZERO he HAS to give out...(smile)
I know that is funny BUT i like what Gailey said on his last regular season coaching show..He said we will not just give out a scholarship to fill a quota or a spot..He is not into that and he wants players that can play and contribute..He said if he had too, he would save the scholarship for the next year......

He can give out 25 scholarships in one year. Taylor Bennett, if he does sign with us, will count against last years total because he is expected to enroll in January. So that will mean we can get 26 in this recruiting class.

Also, if any players from flunkgate come back then they do NOT count against the 25 scholarships.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
[QB]Smarty pants answer....ZERO he HAS to give out...(smile)
I know that is funny BUT i like what Gailey said on his last regular season coaching show..He said we will not just give out a scholarship to fill a quota or a spot..He is not into that and he wants players that can play and contribute..He said if he had too, he would save the scholarship for the next year......
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You cannot save a scholly for the next year. You get a maximum of 25 a year. That is assuming you are losing 25 scholarship athletes through attrition/ graduation. So if we can give 25 scholly's this year, which we can, and only give out 24, then that is our own stupidity. There ain't no saving scholarships.

If you want to call someone stupid barrel of rum..Then call Gailey for saying it..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Still sour grapes about your opinion on Athens huh!!!!

If you want to call someone stupid barrel of sour rum..Then call Gailey for saying it..Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Still sour grapes about your opinion on Athens huh!!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dude, read whatever you want into my post. I like Gailey, I've stated such many many times on this board and others. Relax and stop trying to get into a name calling match with everyone here. But like I said, if we don't sign 25 players then that's our own stupidity/ fault.

And why would I be sour about my opinion on Athens? How is that even remotely part of this discussion? Settle Down.

FWIW, you just attempted to hijack a thread. stop.

BOR...I thought you were insinuating that i was stupid i.e. Your stupidity instead of OUR stupidity.....

BOR...I thought you were insinuating that i was stupid i.e. Your stupidity instead of OUR stupidity.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You have no control over giving out scholarships BlackWatch. So if we don't give out 25 schollies, I'm not going to call you stupid for that.

That may be the case now..But I heard him as plain as day say that...Ive heard what you said from other people too...But i think that wasnt always the case was it??

That may be the case now..But I heard him as plain as day say that...Ive heard what you said from other people too...But i think that wasnt always the case was it??
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What wasn't the case? 25 scholarships?? 25 scholarship limits is always the case for the last several years. There are schools that will sign 30 guys like Clemson and UGA, but they expect guys to not meet the grade requirements so by Fall they only have 25 scholarships.

No..The question is...I could have sworn that in the old days you could save scholarships and carry them over to the following year...

No..The question is...I could have sworn that in the old days you could save scholarships and carry them over to the following year...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nope, hasn't ever been like that to my knowledge. At least it hasn't been like that in the last 12 years.

What is wrong with the concept of giving only 23 scholarships if we find only 23 academically and athletically suited for Tech?

Would you rather give the two scholarships to two recruits that appear questionable, or would you be better off saving the two scholarships? You could invite a group of marginal athletes to walkon and then award the two additional scholarships to the two walk-ons that rise to the top and show they can help the team?

Of course, if you had two, more athletically qualified candidates, they would get the two scholarships, but if not what is wrong with saving them for the walk-ons?

Father Time

Ahso..That could be what Gailey meant...Heck we have had some success with walkons i.e. P.J. Daniels and Transfers.. Kenton Johnson and the Woods kid....It makes sense to me...No need to give the 1 or 2 schollys to marginal athletes..This would'nt happen often anyway!!!!!

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
What is wrong with the concept of giving only 23 scholarships if we find only 23 academically and athletically suited for Tech?

Would you rather give the two scholarships to two recruits that appear questionable, or would you be better off saving the two scholarships? You could invite a group of marginal athletes to walkon and then award the two additional scholarships to the two walk-ons that rise to the top and show they can help the team?

Of course, if you had two, more athletically qualified candidates, they would get the two scholarships, but if not what is wrong with saving them for the walk-ons?

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Absolutely nothing, but over time, not recruiting the #'s is going to hurt you no matter how you look at it. If we sign 24 players a year and 24 make it academically, then we don't have a problem. But if one year we only sign 22, and then then back it up with 21, and then 20, that is not healthy at all.

The fact of the matter is we should be able to fill the 25 schollies and save the walk on scholarships to fill those that leave through natural attrition ie. fail out of school, transfer, etc. Not signing the full amount, ESPECIALLY when we have low #'s anyways, is about as dumb as it gets.

Do we have the money to give out as many scholarships as we're allowed to? I remember reading something in some First-and-10 mailing or such asking for money because of this that I got in my mailbox after joining Swarm and thus joining First-and-10 or whatnot through it. This could've been what Gailey meant.

BOR, you really did not answer my question as asked. It is possible, that we researched all of the players we could make offers. If we only get 23 of those recruits to agree to come to Tech, it does not appear in our best interest to offer the other two ships to just anyone in order to fill up the 25.

We could use them for two of the many walk-ons that show they can help us. I would never advocate saving the ships for walk-ons if we had enough qualified recruits (athletically and academically) to fill all the ships.

Father Time

Back