Robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak

Which men's sport should temporarily lose money to increase football funding?

• Any of them

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Cross country

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Golf

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Tennis

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Swimming/diving

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Indoor track & field

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Outdoor track & field

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Baseball

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 46 27.4%

• Total voters

18in32

Petard Hoister
Would you rather have a mediocre football team that produces few championships and pros, and a nationally prominent golf team that is always competitive and produces great pros... or vice versa?

That is, would you be willing to cut into any other GT men's sport to increase funding levels for football? If so, which one?

I exclude men's basketball from the poll since it operates in the black, as well as the women's programs, in light of Title IX concerns (though technically it doesn't quite work that way, but whatever).

We have one more men's program than is required of us, so theoretically we could cut an entire men's program to save money. Or more realistically we could simply reduce some funding — reducing scholarships, coaching positions or the like. And clearly some sports have 'more to give,' because of the number of coaches, players, support staff, etc. available. This is especially the case since in the Olympic sports there's a lot of overlap between sports and between men's and women's teams.

Since football provides revenue for all the sports, the idea would be that these cutbacks would be temporary, just until football revenues increase in the wake of our new consistently winning ways. Once the increased season ticket sales, merchandise, alumni contributions, etc. start happening, we should be able to return other sports to their earlier funding levels (or more).

Does this sound distasteful? But since none of us is going to give more money, where else is the money we need to improve our football program going to come from?

Or would you rather stay mediocre or try other things rather than hurt another sport?

I also realize this purely hypothetical and is obviously not actually going to happen. It is also obviously hypothetical since you'd need to have much more granular data to be able to determine which sports could be weather reduced funding most efficiently.

(BTW, for those who want to know more about NCAA FBS funding requirements, here's a helpful FAQ. FBS programs must spend at least $4 mil on scholarships — we spend $10.5 mil. FBS programs must have at least 16 teams, at least 6 men's, at least 8 women's — we have 17, 9 men's and 8 women's.)

How much could you get by wiping out Track & Field completely? Two graduate assistants?

I’ve never watched a single one of those outside of a few baseball games. They could get rid of them all for all I care.

College baseball is awful.

How much could you get by wiping out Track & Field completely? Two graduate assistants?
Track and field would be tough to eliminate since that's actually two sports, with a lot of administrative overlap with the women's side. But in terms of how much you would save... you gotta be thinking in terms that include not just scholarships and coaching salaries, but travel costs, tuition waivers, drain on other support staff (trainers, academic advisors), etc. I have no idea how much that totals. Certainly enough to pay a some bright-eyed 24-year-old coaching-wannabes to serve as recruiting analysts / quality control officers.

I would prefer to eliminate some of the sports if possible, or lessen their funding. Instead focus resources on getting the student body as a whole involved in athletics. On the one hand, we have these great athletes. On the other, we have a lot of fat, ugly losers who never exercise and so they can't attract the opposite sex, they come to hate sports, and they go tranny/gay. It's a bad us (normal students) vs. them (athletes) culture. I would make some physical education required for on-campus students. The rigor of Tech's classes pushes people to be sedentary, and that's bad for them and bad for society. And bad for filling up the student section.

We can't eliminate any sports and remain D1.

The next sport we have to add is a women's sport.

The football funding is not what holding us back. The institution itself is what's holding us back. And the only way to fix that is to get out from underneath the UGA controlled board of regents.

....and unfortunately, that will never happen.

Peterson's salary, all the v-ps with phoney azz, multi lettered Dept titles, every Hill employee, every professor who does not buy football season tickets.

For starters.

Peterson's salary, all the v-ps with phoney azz, multi lettered Dept titles, every Hill employee, every professor who does not buy football season tickets.

For starters.
Academia is an impenetrable fortress. The hue and cry would be deafening. There is probably federal law prohibiting what you suggest.

Back